Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,My car has been cutting out for a few days and on 2 occasions died completely on bends which is pretty scary as you lose almost all steering and brakes.I suspect it may be the idle valve playing up but not sure,ive read a few posts about the same problem and this seems to be a regular culprit
Thought id ask you guys as ive had help from you in the past which always got my problems sorted.Ive checked all breathers which seem ok,also car has new plugs and ht leads.A friend has suggested crank sensor but ive no idea where to start.
Any help would be appreciated, car is a 97 vectra 2.0 cdx 16v.. Thanks guys

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
its the first thing to check... get the ICV off and clean it out, there are various how 2 guides on this forum,

beyond that check your connections in the engine bay are all ok, and that all plugs are connected properly

beyond that look at things like, air flow sensors, throttle position sensors, cam sensor and crank sensors

but start simple first and check the ICV

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply mate,will have a go at it in the morning,i know its not maf cos its new so i will start with icv and carry on from there.
Nice cav u got there:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
if it is the ICV which it probably is,just buy a new one off ebay £40ish save yourself lots of fiddling around-cleaning just helps for a little while

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
When it cuts out, do you lose all power? Check the battery connections are tight. My better half's mini used to cut out when cornering/big potholes etc and it turned out that the negative terminal on the battery was loose.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi just a tip
if you don't press the clutch when it cuts out then you will retain steering and braking
regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Sounds electrical to me.
Go round everywhere checking everything is plugged in securly.
Not forgetting the ECU wherever that is hidden in a Vectra,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys,The tip about not pressing in clutch very useful.
Ive paperclipped for codes and it throws up crank sens+cam sens,i changed crank sens and still car cuts out so i also changed other and she seems ok now so far although paperclip test still shows these parts as faulty.
Does the ecu need resetting to clear these?...

·
Registered
257 Posts
If the underlying faults have been cleared the fault codes should be cleared after...its either 25 or 30 starts of the car...aslong as the ignition has been on for more than...5 or 10 seconds...cant remember that exactly either lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi, the same problem we met. when u put the clutch down, or when the car is stop ,waiting the traffic lights, the engine will cut off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i found the intake pipe split, and seal it. it seems to be better. but occasionally, it will cut off. it is really terrible, dangerous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts