Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so hit a dead end several times now: engine cuts out when fuel gets to quarter tank, RE starts five minutes later. After a cut out it starts playing up and after switch off, then switching on again soon after it struggles to catch. Problem seemed to have resolved after crank shaft sensor replaced and started filling up with esso fuel rather than Tesco. Any way problem is back. Had fuel filter replaced yesterday, fault still there after stopping at shop on way home wouldn't start again. Altogether I have had following done since this started in December: -

New battery
(Alternator is OK)
2 new glow plugs
New clutch & DMF (separate issue)
Fuel filter replaced
New crank shaft sensor

Also when it has cut out it is at low revs or idling. I can feel/hear it missing but garage can't HELP please? Anyone?

This also sounds a bit mad but my headlamps/light seem to pop when fault starts again, likely coincidence?

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
What do you mean exactly by "headlamps/light seem to pop"? - It blows bulbs?
How is the alternator known to be Ok? what tests have been done on it?

Any diagnostic codes stored?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vx did code check, nothing showed, they were worse than useless.
Multimeter check of alternator with all extra power use things on (radio, wipers, heater etc).
I wondered if water getting in as sidelight used to go off after I washed car for a few days then would start working again. Also had what appears to be more white exhaust cloud on start up. This trouble started after an interim service in December? So frustrated! Thanks for replying

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Do you have a eml on??

Best solution would be, next time it acts up leave it and call out a mobile mechanic so he can see all the problems from the beginning.

My thought is its fuel related and possible a short somewhere due to blown bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Grant, EML was on for a couple of days after the cut out - but only when turning ignition, not once engine running. It's not on at the moment at all. It's either super eager firing up or really sluggish or won't on occasion.
Garage did not get any codes (two garages, VX and local) - at all and fuel pressures were fine when doing live test. I have had Green Flag several times, each time the car fired up and they said they could not help. That was the same problem with VX left it with them for days they said they could not do anything "until it displayed the fault" which sod's law it didn't. So frustrated!

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
If you had an EML on for a couple of days then there are/were stored diagnostic codes.
The garage(s) you used either deleted the stored codes without reading them first, or their code reader doesn't speak Vauxhall properly.
Only OpCom and TECH2 are certain to read Vx diag codes properly. Generic/(un-)Universal code readers are often unable to understand Vauxhall.

Reactions: oberlisc and Moof

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Mike, so yesterday I did around 150+ miles. No cutting out, tank full at start of journey. But after switch off then within say seconds rather than minutes trying to start again it struggles and sounds like just not catching right? Doesn't struggle like turning over more like starts then instantaneous drops off. I'm just gonna have to go back to garage, I just don't get it, sometimes it fires up almost a bit urgently too like this morning when had to move off drive ... any thoughts? Failing fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
You will always get an EML light when you turn on the ignition, it's a bulb test for 3-5 seconds. Even if you start the engine 'instantly' the EML will remain on for the remainder of its' 'test' time (along with the other warning bulbs). If there is a genuine error condition present, it will be stored whenever it happens as long as the power is on - I can't think of any error condition that could occur when the ignition is off [Actually 2nd thoughts, maybe parking light bulb failing/low battery/alarm/immobiliser malfunction might be recorded]. Obviously the system is bright enough to ignore nonsense - like a crankshaft position sensor when the engine isn't even turning...
Only an EML that comes on while driving, or stays on for (say) 10 seconds or more after starting, signifies a problem - and will store a code

Reactions: oberlisc

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
You can always do the peddle test to find fault codes,
ignition off, press and hold brake and accelerator peddles to the floor , next turn ignition on, watch mileage digital clock it will change to a 6 digit code, you get one code or how ever many is stored within the Ecu.

With the 6 digit code you drop the last two numbers and only accept the first 4, and that will be you code.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Could be a fuel pump or fuel pickup problem.

I'm not sure on the arrangement for the diesel, do they also have an in tank pump now? I'm sure I read about lifter pumps to get the fuel to the up and to the main pump on vauxhall diesels.
I think the earlier cdti models had lift pumps but not long after 06 they all have hpfp.

·
Premium Member
13,389 Posts
I think the earlier cdti models had lift pumps but not long after 06 they all have hpfp.

Mine's a 56 plate and I hear the pump priming when I turn the ignition on, noise comes from around the rear seats so in or out you choose.

@MikeSW17 When I turn my ignition on all the lights go out baring the 3 red in the left bottom corner (Oil, Handbrake and Battery) and the car with a spanner one in the centre of the dash and the engine light in the bottom right of the dash, but as soon as I turn the key they all go out only leaving the handbrake on.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I have never heard a priming pump operate on mine and haven't looked to see if there is one - might be just too quiet. Mine is an Estate on a 55 plate, build date 15/12/5005, with an MY year (from the VIN code) of (200)6. I wonder if there was a reasonably long design/build change-over from pump to no-pump and some have/have not?

Reactions: oberlisc

·
Premium Member
13,389 Posts
I have never heard a priming pump operate on mine and haven't looked to see if there is one - might be just too quiet. Mine is an Estate on a 55 plate, build date 15/12/5005, with an MY year (from the VIN code) of (200)6. I wonder if there was a reasonably long design/build change-over from pump to no-pump and some have/have not?
Possibly, turn the ignition on and I hear zzzzz before I even start the car, but if I don't start the car and turn the ignition off it runs for a few seconds so I gather its drawing the fuel back its just pumped up to the filter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts