Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Engine Cooling System warning light has been coming on lately but only if I have the air-con on with the fan set to speed 3. While the light is on, the radiator cooling fan is also on all the time. Coolant level is fine, tempaerature gauge continues to work fine also.

The light itself is a radiator with a cogged wheel inside it.

Any ideas as to why the light would come on like this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,023 Posts
id check out the connections on the coolant control module, its behind the bumper on the nearside, check the connections for corrosion, its a pretty common problem, could also be a defective coolant module, there was a post a few weeks ago with similar symptoms and it turned out to be defective coolant module, they are not expensive, ebay for around £20, but check the easy things first,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you find the problem? I have the same light indicator on my dash.... but mine comes on even if the AC is off. In my case, the light comes on when the engine reaches the work temperature... from what I could see.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet. I had a closer look at it earlier and it's the AC radiator fan that is kicking in - it comes on for a while then switches off. It repeats this pattern whilst the engine is running.

Again, fan needs to be on 3 with the AC on for the light to come on.

Could it be because the AC refridgerent is low?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,023 Posts
Not yet. I had a closer look at it earlier and it's the AC radiator fan that is kicking in - it comes on for a while then switches off. It repeats this pattern whilst the engine is running.

Again, fan needs to be on 3 with the AC on for the light to come on.

Could it be because the AC refridgerent is low?

Thanks
my refrigerant is low in my air con and the light is not on when the car is running with any of the fan settings,

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
No ... Low refrigerant is not going to turn on the light.

My aircon was totally empty for 7 months and the lamp did not come on during that period...(except a few seconds when starting up the car as it is supposed to).

Good thing though....If the light is on there will be an error code stored and a cheap opcom unit can easily read out the code.....Almost too easy but takes away any guessing and swapping things that is working just fine...

Vectraowner

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I connected OPCOM to it and it displayed this fault code:

11 Sucking Blower Motor, Malfunction

Can anyone tell me what or where this Sucking Blower Motor is?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Aaaw, a defective blower motor...That sucks :)

My guess is that since your problem is with the setting of the internal blower motor it must be that one.

Does the light also come on if you set the blower speed to 3 without engaging the aircon ?

Vectraowner

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi the sucking blower motor is the fan on the condensor on the outside - sounds like a dodgy connection - this is eesential to cool the condensor
its like a rad fan but its on the front
cheers
Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that greasemonkey, I'll have a proper look at it over the weekend. Warning light does not come on with the fan on speeds 3 or 4 with the AC off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have now noticed that the light comes on when the radiator cooling fan comes on as well. When the coolant temp gets to a certain temperature (91 or 92 C according to the temp gauge). I'll hook up OP-COM to the car again tomorrow too see if it's the same fault code and check the fan connections.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I can think of only one way the ECM could be able to tell if the fan was running and if is was using more or less power than expected and that would be to shunt the power thru a shunt resistor and measure the ampereage that was drawn.

This way it could easily tell if the fan was running as expected or not.

If the fan is running and the fault light comes on then the ECM must think that the fan is either using more or less current than expected. This could be a variety of things....

1. The motor drawn more current than expected because it is not working properly.
2. The motor drawn too little current (The fan is not running)
3. The connector is corroded and there is a short between the pins that draw current besides the fan itself.
4. The connector is corroded and there is a voltage drop across and when the unit measures the return voltage it is too low.

Basically i would start off looking at the connector, unplugging it and seeing if it was corroded in any way or loose..

Vectraowner

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the same fault code as before but the cooling fan is doing it's job. This is the fan that is on the left hand side if you are looking at it standing in front of the car. What is the other 'radiator' for? Fan is on the right hand side of it. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have now noticed that the light comes on when the radiator cooling fan comes on as well. When the coolant temp gets to a certain temperature (91 or 92 C according to the temp gauge). I'll hook up OP-COM to the car again tomorrow too see if it's the same fault code and check the fan connections.
EXACTLY the same thing happens to me. When the engine reaches ~92 degrees, i see the light on the dash coming in, and at the same moment, the front cooling fan cuts in (it makes quite a noise when it starts... like a vacuum cleaner :think). It spins for half a minute ant then goes off.... but the light remains on my dash. If I let the engine to cool down, the light doesn't come on at engine start, but will appear again when the coolant temp reaches ~92. This repeats like an precise cycle for my car...

Also... what I have noticed is that the light never comes on when traveling with normal speed (50 km/h). The dash light comes on when stationary at the lights, when parking or when traveling at low speed... in the 1st gear. So I think this is somehow related to engine heating up and some sensor is reading wrong data...

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's the same fault code as before but the cooling fan is doing it's job. This is the fan that is on the left hand side if you are looking at it standing in front of the car. What is the other 'radiator' for? Fan is on the right hand side of it. Thanks
From what I know.... the interior radiator is the engine cooling one. So the fan on it (the one from the engine bay) it's the one for engine cooling. The outside radiator and fan are for climate (AC).

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi

i got the same problem with my astra sri as soon as the temprature gets half way the light cuts in and wnt go bk out till u turn the car off but it only come on when the fan kicks in

·
Registered
10 Posts
My problem is now solved. At least for the moment... it seems that the climate radiator cooling fan was not working properly (something was stuck inside the electrical engine). Now it's working and the light in the dash is off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts