1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'98 CDX Estate, auto, V6, petrol

Here's what happened;

Started car
Sprayed de-icer on screen (relevant - you'll see)
Noticed smoke puthering up from back of bonnet on the driver's side..

• Looked a bit like steam (very cold evening) so wondered if it was de-icer condensing
  • But it lasted too long and was too thick but not really acrid-smelling
So at that point I turned off the ignition...
But several lights on the dash stayed on - ignition, oil, and engine-fault
Hm..had a nose under the bonnet, no further smoke, no visible signs of an issue
So restarted, this time without issue, drove home 3-4 miles, no issues

Here it gets interesting

Parked, turned off ignition & removed keys - engine carried on running

Dash lights - this time just battery - stayed on dimly

As the car is auto, I couldn't stall it.
Pulled battery leads, stayed running (as I thought it would)
Pulled a couple of random leads, revs dropped a bit
Pulled another couple, finally died.

Any ideas please?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
It carried on running because its a diesel. They don't need a spark from plugs like a petrol engine. As for why its doing it I dunno. I would assume the fuel cut off is bust and not stopping the car when the ignition is switched off. Thats only a wild guess from a not very expert. Hopefully someone else could point you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
It carried on running because its a diesel.

'98 CDX Estate, auto, V6, petrol

I'm assuming your Omega has no police history - as many have a thing called 'Run Stop' fitted. This allows plod to screech to a halt, remove keys and chase the crim while the engine remains running to power lights, noise, radios, etc. Should anyone touch a pedal without the keys being refitted, the engine stops. :bust:

Failing that, I'd firstly be looking at the ignition barrel for anything loose, shorting or signs of previous 'repair'.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had a Citroen AX which would run on. It can be due to hot carbon in the cylinders, the petrol can auto ignite (bit like a diesel). In the case of my car the battery light stayed on dimly while it did this but the engine note and speed changed (lower speed and deep sound). If I played with the throttle pedal I could keep it going for a couple of minutes.

My old boss also did this with a light aircraft, run out of hours to fly home, revved it up then switched off in a strop only for the engine to continue. He also had to wait a minute or two for it to stop.

The problem is both these examples are engines with carbs and I thought it was impossible for an injection engine to run on like this. Surely no power = no fuel so I'd only guess at some kind of electrical fault as mentioned earlier.

See if it happens again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Zafira did this once: it was because I had a 12V battery plugged into the lighter socket to recharge - it seems that it kept the engine running when I took the key out!

You haven't got one of those "emergency start" thingies plugged-in to your lighter, have you...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.