Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it would appear my elite's n/s xenon bulb is about go tits up. which bulb is it i need and wheres the best place to go, without having to pull my pants down?:eh


:Cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
HI, there are two bulbs each side, one for the main beam and one for the dipped beam, they are numbered H1 and H7. I bought mine off e-bay for a very good price, worth getting a couple of spares. Will look for the dealer and post back.
 

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
philayl said:
HI, there are two bulbs each side, one for the main beam and one for the dipped beam, they are numbered H1 and H7. I bought mine off e-bay for a very good price, worth getting a couple of spares. Will look for the dealer and post back.
They are not o/e xenon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine has gone yellow, the car was stood for months and the lad i bought it off said that they were the same bulbs from new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
GREYDJ said:
They are not o/e xenon.
I know they are not o/e but they are a reputable make (philips) and are working very well, you will only get o/e from Vauxhall unless you know who makes them for Vx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
1. What you need is the original Xenon HID bulbs, not the aftermarket H1 Xenon. The H1 Xenon is and upgarde and will only fit cars that originally had standard H1 bulbs, but not cars with HID Xenon.

2. The HID bulb cost around £80 from Vx, but most don't stock them because they very raraely go (other then through crashes) so are usually a special order.

3. You might get it from www.autovaux.co.uk - not sure if they do them, but worth a try. Or check if anyone has a Trade Club in your area, or thry the scrappies - the HID is standard on later CDX and Elites.

4. It is a bit more complicated to replace the HID bulb and at any rate should be done with the battery disconnected for safety - the Voltage is very high (it's not safe enough to just switch-off the lights while doing the work).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
----------------------------------------------------------
'HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. It refers to lighting technology that relies on an electrical charge to ignite xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb. The technology of HID automotive lamps is similar to that of common vapor-filled street lamps. HID lighting doesn't have a filament but instead creates light by igniting an arc between two electrodes. HID lights get their name from the intense white light produced by the electrical discharge. HID lamps are also called xenon lamps, referring to a gas inside the lamps. HID general lighting has been used for years in sports arenas and stadiums around the country.'
------------------------------------------------------
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
382 Posts
I can sell you a genuine VX HID lamp for £40 delivered, if you wish. Not H1/4/7 but a real genuine 4" long (or similar....) proper job?

PM for details if required.:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
657 Posts
does your elite have headlight level adjustment, is there a thick cable going to the back of the reflector for main beam (about the same thickness as TV aerial cable)? - just trying to confirm that you do actually have HID lights and not just "xenon" bulbs!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
markjay-thanks buddy thats exactly the info i was looking for:Cool2:
hotel21-hold the thought!:Cool2:
sounds2k-yes auto field.... something or other fat cable..... real ones!:Cool2:

i have had some one say with it being stood for months on end it might just want leaving on for a while? tbh i have had prices from 30-180 quid and normally i pay bout 3 quid for bulbs so i am gonna wait until the other jobs are done see if it improves then bite the bullet:shame:

thanks guys:Cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
irmscherkris said:
markjay-thanks buddy thats exactly the info i was looking for:Cool2:
hotel21-hold the thought!:Cool2:
sounds2k-yes auto field.... something or other fat cable..... real ones!:Cool2:

i have had some one say with it being stood for months on end it might just want leaving on for a while? tbh i have had prices from 30-180 quid and normally i pay bout 3 quid for bulbs so i am gonna wait until the other jobs are done see if it improves then bite the bullet:shame:

thanks guys:Cool2:
To confuse things further, some of the aftermarket H1 Xenon bulbs are advertised as 'HID Xenon H1' - well they are not HID because they use regular 12V, so if the box says 'H1' then it's not your bulb.

There are however 'real' HID conversion kits that convert regular H1 bulbs to HID, but they come with a little metal box the size of a sigarette pack behind each bulb that raises the voltage to the high voltage required for HID, so in that sense they are HID - but again these not the ones you want, because they are a conversion from standard H1 bulbs rather then replacement for factory-fitted HID Xenon bulbs.

This is why it's best to buy Vx original - you can't go wrong by asking for 'Original Vx HID Xenon bulb for CDX or Elite'. Buy non-Vx brand (e.g. Sylvania) only if you are sure what you are buying...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Copied from a site about HID lamps - might be a good reason to use a VX brand ????
Ballasts are not interchangeable among different types of HID lamps. A ballast design incorporates electronic circuitry to provide specific lamp/ballast operating characteristics. As an example, the effects of line voltage variations on resultant changes of lamp wattage are a function of the ballast circuit design. Requirements for a circuit which will provide a finer degree of lamp regulation generally result in a higher ballast cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
igg21uk said:
Copied from a site about HID lamps - might be a good reason to use a VX brand ????
Ballasts are not interchangeable among different types of HID lamps. A ballast design incorporates electronic circuitry to provide specific lamp/ballast operating characteristics. As an example, the effects of line voltage variations on resultant changes of lamp wattage are a function of the ballast circuit design. Requirements for a circuit which will provide a finer degree of lamp regulation generally result in a higher ballast cost.
Mark DTM, I think this should have been PMed to you.... :lmao:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top