Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vauxhall Dealer wants £112 for each rear disc and £200 to fit. My Omega is a 3.2 V6 2001. Can someone please advise if the rear discs on this model are in any way a special item as it is a standard car and to me the rear discs should be the same as the other Omegas in which case I can pick up a pair for £70.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
As far as I know, rear discs are the same.

Common experience of users here and elsewhere is that you should stick to original GM discs and pads. Can be had, I'm told, on Vauxhall Trade Club for about £60 or so. Not sure if this is per wheel or per axle. Pattern ones, even a 'known' make, warp quite quickly.

Fitting is a doddle, and certainly not worth 200 quid!!

Knockout 2 pins lets the pads out.

Two bolts sees the caliper off

Undo a bolt and the disc is off.

Reassembly, as per the haynes book of fibs, is the reverse!! :p

You may have to back off the handbrake shoes a bit to get the disc off (they sit inside the disc) but again, relatively easy with a screwdriver though the inspection hole.

Grab a Haynes book and read up on the method. The 3.2 is newer, obviously, but the setup is the same.

If you are completely unsure of your abilities in this, then spend the wonga at the garage. It is a safety issue, after all, but it is easy. Honest!!

HtH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this - will get onto it tomorrow but will ask a garage to fit. It was the handbrake shoes that caused the noise leading to my asking the garage to check - maybe I take it for second opinion now.

Thanks again

Phil

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
When I had my old Carlton I had a similar thing. it was the handbrake shoe steady pins that had pulled through the rear sh*t shield. The pins fell into the inside of the disc and scored it to shreds.

Welded fresh plates onto the shield (too much bother to undoo the rear wheel bearing nut - Hoomungeous torque to undo!!) then rebuilt it.

If you do not want to try it, would suggest good private garage instead of a dealer. Its only an hour or so's work - hopefully - so judge price accordingly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts