Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, see if you can get your head around this!

Was using the car late last night, no problems...... wipers, lights, heater, usual stuff.

This morning, start the car, all okay. Switch the SIDElights on, observed the following:

Main beam tell-tale ON (!)
Main beam NOT on (!!)
Instrument lights NOT on
Rev counter NOT working
N/S side light blown
If you use the main beam, main beam lights go ON, tell-tale goes OFF!

Switching on dipped headlights shows no difference, apart from following observation:
N/S dipped headlight also blown (main beam okay though)

So... the n/s dip and side have blown at the same time PLUS the other symptoms

(Switch lights off, other symptoms disappear, rev counter works, etc)

Check batt voltage: okay. Check alt. charging voltage: okay.

Replaced blown bulbs and observed:

Bulbs working correctly all-round inc. n/s. Did normal lights check inc. check for faulty earth (had observer stand behind car whilst went thru side/fog/brake/indicate/reverse/hazard and all with brakes on too)

All working, BUT dash symptoms remain when lights are used. (all is okay when lights are off)

Pulled all light fuses. Replace one, test, replace one, test, etc.

All seems to be okay except when I replace the fuse for instrument lights, in which case dash symptoms re-appear.

I'll disconnect the battery for a while when I get home, reconnect and see what happens...... (could be the check control had a fit) however.... I fear a possible short behind the dash... :shame:

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hillper said:
What a mess!

Exactly what is the voltage across the battery with engine running and revving?

14.5v and rock steady. Slightly higher than I was expecting (14.2v) but nothing astronomical!

·
CavWeb Audio Master
1,777 Posts
I had a customer once sorted his illumination wire with the radio I recall, that blew a fuse & cused no rev counter or dash illumination, I guess it would of taken out rest of lights too.

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben said:
I had a customer once sorted his illumination wire with the radio I recall, that blew a fuse & cused no rev counter or dash illumination, I guess it would of taken out rest of lights too.
It's a thought I guess, I fitted the radio myself but I make sure connections are secure and anything not used is insulated, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out though...... the main beam tell tale is one of the biggest puzzles though! Perhaps headlamp relay? Still think it's a short behind the dash though becuase of the rev counter working/not working with use of lights.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think I would start checking through all the earthing points that everything is tight clean and secure. Once you get a bad earth things not only stop working but all sorts of other weird problems can emerge. Remember the power always wants to get back to earth and the battery by the easiest route. If that means feeding back down a circuit the wrong way because the earthing point is not there or is no longer the easiest route then so be it. Hence things dont just stop working but all sorts of strange other things can start happening, hence the tele light etc.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
I bet its fuse number....ermm its on the top row near the left :lmao:

Causes havoc with the dash and powers the ciggy lighter too

Im suuuuuuuure Dunc or someone had the same thing last week

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
markrl said:
I think I would start checking through all the earthing points.....
Yeah, a friend has mentioned that too.:up:

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy M said:
I bet its fuse number....ermm its on the top row near the left :lmao:

Causes havoc with the dash and powers the ciggy lighter too

Im suuuuuuuure Dunc or someone had the same thing last week
I'll take a look at that too! :Cool2:

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

Drove home with the dash-light fuse removed, got home tried all the lights again just for the sake of checking: when using the main beam, it worked correctly, BUT the blue tell-tale on the dash was dimmer than normal. I *gently* tapped the perspex above the light and it got brighter!

I replaced the dash-light fuse, and all appears to be working okay!! SO...... I started belting the dash (as you do!:lmao: ) to see if a could re-create the fault but it didn't occur. Possible intermittent dash-short? Maybe, but it doesn't explain why both the n/s side light and headlight blew at the same time!

Regardless, I'm happy it's working again, but I'll monitor it all the same!

Thanks all! :up:

·
Occasional ski bum
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another Update!

Well, I thought it was too good to be true! The gremlins had never left!

Came to use the car this morning, and all of the dash symptoms have re-appeared when the lights are used, however, it hasn't blown any bulbs today.

Looks like I have some work to do........ :shame:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts