Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is this thing supposed to work?

OK, let me clarify - I know how to put it on and take it off. But all other behaviour seems intermittent.

So on my old man's VW Passat CC, he has a button called "auto-hold" - which basically whacks the handbrake on when you come to a full stop, and automatically takes it off when you try to pull away - not great for a quick getaway, but you can at least predict what it will do.

My Insignia seems to mix this behaviour in with some other random stuff.

E.g. Just started the car and sitting stationary - rev the engine very slightly and the damn car starts to roll forward unexpectedly.

Ok, thats how auto-hold works on this car, I think, great! Just be careful revving the engine on a hill.

Get to a set of lights, stop, put the handbrake on. Green light, go to pull away, and I'm stuck. Brake hasnt come off, so I have to jam foot on brakes and do it manually!

Then I'm reversing into my house parking spot, which is on a slight incline. I stop, but decide that I can go back a bit further (why did you not fit parking sensors Vauxhall!!). Car not moving, well into clutch biting point. Suddenly I jerk back and nearly smash into the wall. No sign the handbrake was on, but it clearly was.

Anyone have any insight as to how this thing is supposed to work!?!?

Cheers :D

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
If you rev the engine on its own it won't release.....if you dip the clutch it won't release.....it needs to see accelerator pedal and clutch pedal together then it will disengage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you rev the engine on its own it won't release.....if you dip the clutch it won't release.....it needs to see accelerator pedal and clutch pedal together then it will disengage.
Thats interesting - possible fault on mine then. I was stationary in a car park, in neutral - so no clutch. Revved it a tiny amount and handbrake came off. Repeated a few times to confirm.

But now when I try the exact same thing, it doesnt do that.

The "drive away" thing also only seems to work intermittently.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Thats interesting - possible fault on mine then. I was stationary in a car park, in neutral - so no clutch. Revv
If you were in neutral and were resting your foot on the clutch pedal then reved it it would release it doesn't have to be in gear.

·
"Red One.."
2,865 Posts
Agreed with Harry, they do require both a clutch signal and a throttle input in order to auto release. Even the slightest reading on the clutch pedal will register. Used to have lots of probs with people complaining of them not releasing, due to the way some peeps find the bit point with the clutch before any throttle.

The auto hold/hill start function is done through the brakes and ABS module as opposed to the parking brake, so is a separate function. This is the same for the auto hold on VW's, the actual brakes are held on until you drive off.

·
1,647 Posts
Mine is automatic car so I don't have the problems with clutch but I think the use of this auto handbrake is the problem , first off only ever put it on when the car is stopped and your getting out so if at lights or t junction use the foot break, as for on a hill again just use the foot break as the auto break will kick in and stop any roll back till you excellerate so no need to touch the automatic break button at all , I know in a normal car you should put it on at lights and such but this ain't normal and needs treating different I know it's wrong but it works and when go to drive off for the first time put your foot on the break then push the button down to take the auto break off this will turn the light off on the dash then drive away , when your done driving if your on a hill pull the button 2 twice this locks it on but if it's just a flat road ounce is fine , I hope this helps , but we'll see

·
Team Tommy Tank!
4,412 Posts
Mine is automatic car so I don't have the problems with clutch but I think the use of this auto handbrake is the problem , first off only ever put it on when the car is stopped and your getting out so if at lights or t junction use the foot break, as for on a hill again just use the foot break as the auto break will kick in and stop any roll back till you excellerate so no need to touch the automatic break button at all , I know in a normal car you should put it on at lights and such but this ain't normal and needs treating different I know it's wrong but it works and when go to drive off for the first time put your foot on the break then push the button down to take the auto break off this will turn the light off on the dash then drive away , when your done driving if your on a hill pull the button 2 twice this locks it on but if it's just a flat road ounce is fine , I hope this helps , but we'll see
This is the correct advice. Mine is manual and is identical

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know you can take off your electric hand break without touching it, But can you apply it without touching it ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts