Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some bloke did a test of electric cars to see what the maximum mileage is before the cars die completely. Quite apart from the absolute idiotic price of these cars the furthest was 270 odd miles. Unless I'm forced by legislation I wont be buying an electric car any time soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As someone who has a 1st gen Nissan Leaf capable of 100 miles a charge, I agree its not an easy change.

For our usage it works, we drive around 1800 miles every month and it costs us £40. The furthest I've driven in the Leaf is from London to Sheffield and back.

We have Zafira for when we need to drive further and there is urgency. Once I was driving to Guildford when I realised I forgot something and had to furn around by Heathrow. That 2x 40 miles meant I swapped Leaf for Zafira.

If you have 2 cars, it's a great way to cut costs while reducing emissions. A simple swap is never going to do. No one's taking it away from you. Please carry on.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
To cut costs you have to consider the total cost of owning an electric car, initial cost, extra charging points. Cost of replacement batteries if you are keeping it a while or leasing them. Then the inconvenience of not having the range.
I'm not against owning one eventually, but I'll see what everyone else does first:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
51 Posts
To cut costs you have to consider the total cost of owning an electric car, initial cost, extra charging points. Cost of replacement batteries if you are keeping it a while or leasing them. Then the inconvenience of not having the range.
I'm not against owning one eventually, but I'll see what everyone else does first
Zafira 3 year old 8k
Leaf 2 year old 15k

£70 per 350 miles for Zafira
£40 per 1800 miles for Leaf.

Charge point installation £200 for Leaf

DFP cleanup £350 for Zafira.
Cam belt another £450 last year

Charging effort like charging phone each night. Car warm abs defrosted in the morning.
Zafira filling up requires drive to petrol Station.

Cost of fuel cleanup (petrol in diesel car) £300.

With my previous used cars after 40k miles, injectors etc needed changing and bill was over £500 each time.

Used 2011 Leaf capable of 40 only still commands 7k.

The battery doesn't die. The range becomes shorter. Either way there's warranty for 8 years / 80k miles.

My Leaf30 is at 30k miles now. I've driven it 26k miles since October 2018.

·
Premium Member
13,630 Posts
And what would you do if you never had a second car with a proper engine, every time you have to go somewhere where the leaf wont get to in one hit. So in theory your running 2 cars to drive a electric one, thats not very economical.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And what would you do if you never had a second car with a proper engine, every time you have to go somewhere where the leaf wont get to in one hit. So in theory your running 2 cars to drive a electric one, thats not very economical.
We need to cars because we need to be at different places at same time. There is a huge number of 2 cat families out there and average journey is 20 miles. You can buy a car capable of 500 mile for that.

·
Premium Member
13,630 Posts
Yeah i appreciate what your saying but electric cars, as it stands today, dont really have the range for everyday driving and trying to find a charging point is a nightmare, it will improve but at what pace, if the government want us out of our gas guzzlers then they need to get the manufacturers to address vehicle price and availability of charging points.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just replaced one of my beloved astra h 1.7s with Toyota hybrid, if you can live with soft handling and not sporty performance it gives over 60mpg genuine overall and they're supposed to be dead reliable, so as new cars now look less reliable and long lived, this was the only sort that made sense. You just put petrol in and drive it a bit like an old type torque converter car. I'd only have a hybrid from Toyota though they've proved them over 20 years. They are of course extremely ugly

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just replaced one of my beloved astra h 1.7s with Toyota hybrid, if you can live with soft handling and not sporty performance it gives over 60mpg genuine overall and they're supposed to be dead reliable, so as new cars now look less reliable and long lived, this was the only sort that made sense. You just put petrol in and drive it a bit like an old type torque converter car. I'd only have a hybrid from Toyota though they've proved them over 20 years. They are of course extremely ugly
I think any decent new petrol car can give you 60 mpg. Toyota tech was great but that was 20 years ago today they are slightly more than average car supporting stop start (referred to as mild hybrids).

The energy recovery from braking is stored in 0.5kW battery that can't actual drive the car for more than a mile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah i appreciate what your saying but electric cars, as it stands today, dont really have the range for everyday driving and trying to find a charging point is a nightmare, it will improve but at what pace, if the government want us out of our gas guzzlers then they need to get the manufacturers to address vehicle price and availability of charging points.
I think government gets enough revenue for now. Remember the days where you could smoke anywhere? It's like that. Government will continue to tax petrol / diesel cars until they are forced to act.

Yes more charge points are needed - 95%of my charging though is at home. Its only when I'm out and about going over 100 mile range that I need to check for charge point. Most of the times I look for BP polar network as they are reliable. Plug the car, freshen up, grab a coffee and back on road.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know if modern petrol cars achieve genuine 60 plus mpg, but I hate the idea of stop start systems not to mention GDI and all the problems associated with that, the tech in my Auris is about 10 years old and the new Corolla apparently does better mpg still and actually handles! So it's not just mpg but reliability and long life I want. If I could but a new 1.7cdti Astra H without Dpfs then that would be preferable but I could only see Toyota or perhaps Korean makes of hybrids as equivalent. Btw,the battery is 1 3kwh I think, and it's not a matter of how far it goes on electric only, rather than the electric motor and Atkinson cycle engine work together for max efficiency. That type of engine is twice as efficient as a normal but hopeless on it's own as there's no torque. The Auris even has a proper handbrake!

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
I think government gets enough revenue for now. Remember the days where you could smoke anywhere? It's like that. Government will continue to tax petrol / diesel cars until they are forced to act.

Yes more charge points are needed - 95%of my charging though is at home. Its only when I'm out and about going over 100 mile range that I need to check for charge point. Most of the times I look for BP polar network as they are reliable. Plug the car, freshen up, grab a coffee and back on road.

Yes there's a long way to go yet with charging points, as I only know of 3 within a 10 mile radius of where I live. Although that's just what I've noticed, not actually really looked.
How far can you go on a fully charged leaf battery, say at 5 years old within the dark? Using lights etc.
Potentially electric cars should be more reliable, as there's less to go wrong. I also like autos, so that would work well with them.

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
How do you get your figure of £40 to cover 1800 miles in your Nissan Leaf?
Very cheap apparently to run are these Nissan Leaf's a taxi driver in hinckley reckons it only costs him one sixth of his other taxi to run ( Ford mondeo 2.0 diesel )
I must admit to being shocked when he told me.

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
It's pretty clear that electric cars are going to be more popular but it will not be at the pace many want it to increase by.
Manufacturers need to make more electric cars to meet the EU across the range Co2 emissions targets or face crippling fines for non compliance on every vehicle they sell.
Cities & big towns are now looking into banning vehicles from their centres unless they meet clean air zone emissions targets.
So they will be the big drivers pushing many to electric vehicles over the following years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes there's a long way to go yet with charging points, as I only know of 3 within a 10 mile radius of where I live. Although that's just what I've noticed, not actually really looked.
How far can you go on a fully charged leaf battery, say at 5 years old within the dark? Using lights etc.
Potentially electric cars should be more reliable, as there's less to go wrong. I also like autos, so that would work well with them.
My 3 year old Leaf has a capacity 92%of original. In summer I drive to Coventry (105 miles) - lights aren't the problem it's how warm you like the car.

Even in winter I can do 90 miles.
Most new EVs available today can do 200+miles on single charge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How do you get your figure of £40 to cover 1800 miles in your Nissan Leaf?
I measure the distance car travels, the electricity it uses to charge using dedicated power meter installed on charger and then use price per kWh to arrive at that figure

I pay 8p / kWh from 10pm to 7pm when the car charges.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know if modern petrol cars achieve genuine 60 plus mpg, but I hate the idea of stop start systems not to mention GDI and all the problems associated with that, the tech in my Auris is about 10 years old and the new Corolla apparently does better mpg still and actually handles! So it's not just mpg but reliability and long life I want. If I could but a new 1.7cdti Astra H without Dpfs then that would be preferable but I could only see Toyota or perhaps Korean makes of hybrids as equivalent. Btw,the battery is 1 3kwh I think, and it's not a matter of how far it goes on electric only, rather than the electric motor and Atkinson cycle engine work together for max efficiency. That type of engine is twice as efficient as a normal but hopeless on it's own as there's no torque. The Auris even has a proper handbrake!
Aah you are taking about the Toyota unicorn Prius aka PEV plugin hybrid.. That can do 30 miles on charge

·
Premium Member
13,721 Posts
My 3 year old Leaf has a capacity 92%of original. In summer I drive to Coventry (105 miles) - lights aren't the problem it's how warm you like the car.

Even in winter I can do 90 miles.
Most new EVs available today can do 200+miles on single charge.

So heated seats are out then, I do like my comfort:ROFLMAO:90 miles is doable for most days for me, even at work, but like yourself I have som days I need to travel further. It'll be interesting once the prices come down a bit within the new and elec used car market.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So heated seats are out then, I do like my comfort90 miles is doable for most days for me, even at work, but like yourself I have som days I need to travel further. It'll be interesting once the prices come down a bit within the new and elec used car market.
Actually my trim didn't have heated seats and they are better then heating the whole car.. I tend to preheat the car so it's nice and toasty..

Once it's warm, keeping it that way is great now efficient - It uses heatpump

1 - 20 of 90 Posts