Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen loads of posts about blanking or partially blanking the EGR valve on the 1.9 engine but very few about doing the same thing on the 1.7 CDTI engine.
I see blanking plates are available but is it worth doing on the 1.7 engine? I know the EGR cooler helps to warm the engine up quicker so a partial blank would probably be better than the full blank.
Thoughts?
Anyone done it and can give their feedback on it?

·
Premium Member
13,795 Posts
Done loads but then you probably know that.. if you do a partial blank you wont need the software doing, it will improve throttle response and mpg, just make sure you clean the valve and the throttle body while you have it apart, it should stay relatively clean after blanking.

·
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought you might have done a few (y) just odd that the 1.7 doesn't seem to get mentioned much in regards to EGR blanking.
Might give it a go.
Got no problems with mine at the moment but when I blanked the girlfriend's Corsa 1.0 it made a noticeable difference.
Changing the SCV a while ago has given a good 10% improvement in mpg over the last 1,500 miles so if I can bump it up a bit more I will be more than happy.
I still plan on sticking the endoscope into the EGR to see if it is crudded up before pulling anything off it.

·
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one alright?
Do I need two gaskets as well?

·
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer my own question apparently I will also need two gaskets, one each side of the plate.

5851948 GASKET,EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION PIPE

·
3,065 Posts
I advise you to put new gaskets as they do not seal properly if reused. Not sure how much mpg gain you will achieve but for sure you going to have a smoother drive and power pickup, also your engine will be cleaner and oil is not going to get that fast black becouse of recirculated ash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is a slightly old post, but out of curiosity what difference did doing this make to your 1.7 Meriva ?
Wonder if it would be worth getting mine done ?

·
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got round to buying the blanking plate ( with the hole).
Just got to track down the gaskets now at a sensible price then I will pop it on.
Going to leave cleaning everything until the summer when I have a few days off. The car pulls really well so it can wait until then.

·
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never being one to rush things I finally sourced two genuine Vauxhall gaskets and fitted the plate yesterday which is covered in This thread - post #1998.
I took a few photos of the throttle body (which isn't but everyone calls it that) and looking through them it has a fair old coating of oily carbon but because it is black and you can't really get a good view of it I decided to take the throttle body off today. The idea being that I could get a better idea of how bad the EGR is.
Well things did not go to plan because I couldn't get the throttle body out. Got the 3 long bolts out which hold it to the EGR and the larger bolt that bolts through the bracket that holds the pipe from the EGR cooler lower down. But the throttle body just wouldn't come out. I could rotate it so I know nothing is holding it and can only think there must be a crust of hardened carbon holding it in position. There is also a bracket that stops you tapping it off the front of the EGR and to remove that means removing the EGR cooler pipework to get at one awkward bolt that holds that bracket in place.
Poked my fingers into the throttle body and found the crud on the shut off flap us really soft and I could wilpe most of it off easily.
So I have sort of convinced myself that since the car is driving well that I will reassemble it and see how it drives with the blanking plate.
Well I am happy to report that the car is transformed, definitely better throttle response and more low down pull. It also revs better, easily flying up to the red line whereas normally it builds up to it gradually.
I'm more than happy and will have a ponder on whether to do the EGR or not. The biggest problem is getting enough access to get the plastic inlet pipe off the turbo and more importantly being able to put it back.
I keep a running log of my fuel consumption and know it does a solid 41 to 42mpg all the time so it will be interesting to see how this changes with the blanking plate in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have done loads of EGR blanking.
If you do a partial blank you wont need the software doing, it will improve throttle response and mpg,
just make sure you clean the valve and the throttle body while you have it apart, it should stay relatively clean after blanking.
Can you explain more in detail how to do and what parts are needed ?

Even the newer A17DT engines we do are badly coked up, especially the throttle body where it enters the intake system.
I have a ( 2007 ) Z17DTH

I will see how it drives with the blanking plate.
Well I am happy to report that the car is transformed, definitely better throttle response and more low down pull.
It also revs better, easily flying up to the red line whereas normally it builds up to it gradually.
I'm more than happy and will have a ponder on whether to do the EGR or not.
The biggest problem is getting enough access to get the plastic inlet pipe off the turbo and more importantly being able to put it back.
What parts do I need and where to get them ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I thought about doing mine and actually bought the plate, but at 226k didn’t really see much point fitting them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
What problem is this supposed to solve? I've had to clean out the inlet pipe and egr valve at 100k, even though not causing any problem though on one car it did run cleaner. That's hardly a problem needing egr delete?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What problem is this supposed to solve ?
I've had to clean out the inlet pipe and EGR valve at 100k, even though not causing any problem though on one car it did run cleaner.
That's hardly a problem needing EGR delete ?
One less thing to worry about that can break or cause problems.
In addition, this affects the lifespan of the engine for the better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts