Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps
It appears that my insignia 2.0 cdti 2011 needs a new battery. It currently has an AGM one fitted. I have an option of obtaining a nearly new EFB battery for a very good { £0} price. They are both similar wattage. And both support stop/start
Is it going to cause me major concerns if I fit an EFB one? I have read somewhere that they charge in a different kind of way?
I'm sure you guys will put me straight 😁

Cheers as always 👍

·
Worn Out Member
6,576 Posts
this is worth a read

·
Premium Member
15,326 Posts
I'll have to check what's on mine, as the garage put a new one on mine prior to me buying my car around 16 months ago now.

·
Premium Member
15,326 Posts
Cheers mate 👍 mine is an elite model if that matters
No, but mine is too:ROFLMAO:I'll take a photo of it tomorrow & upload it, when it's light.
The last time I bought one, I bought it locally, did a battery exchange, easier to take back too, within the event of a warranty claim. Bought one for my last Astra from a local motor factors with a 3 year warranty I think. No more expensive than the usual places either.
Have you checked the voltage of your old one, prior to starting & running? Using a multi meter.
My current Astra has the same engine as yours on an 2014 plate without start & stop, those batteries a bit pricy.

·
Premium Member
15,326 Posts
What did you pay for your insignia battery mate? 🤔
The garage fitted it to my current car, prior to me buying it. The one I bought was around 3 years ago now, at a guess I think it was around £80, none stop start type.
The battery that's fitted now by the garage, prior to me buying it was an 100E battery (on receipt), I'll have a look tomo.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
I bought a Hanhook AGM 95amp hr battery for mine last year----think it cost me around £130 at the time---got it delivered next day and fitted same day. Good battery for the price. I'm sure that if you have to replace a battery they have to be like for like----with all this smart charging thats in cars these days. My stop/start is always working now that i fitted the new battery----------Dave

·
Super Moderator
26,978 Posts
Quite simple I’m afraid , if your vehicle has stop / start then you can only fit an Advanced Glass Matt battery.
AGM batteries can survive the rigours of constant use & even recover from a deep discharge.
Stop / start with smart charge electrical systems require a AGM battery as even if it gets depleted of charge it will still operate effectively unlike an EFB or Lead Acid type.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Try looking on Tayna Batteries website.
I recently bought a Yuasa battery from them for my Astra diesel, good price, and delivered next day.
Ten % discount for Caravan Club members as well.
Mine wasn't a stop start battery, but they do all types.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quite simple I’m afraid , if your vehicle has stop / start then you can only fit an Advanced Glass Matt battery.
AGM batteries can survive the rigours of constant use & even recover from a deep discharge.
Stop / start with smart charge electrical systems require a AGM battery as even if it gets depleted of charge it will still operate effectively unlike an EFB or Lead Acid type.
But the EFB one is free Fred :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: i think i know what i need to do :cry:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to ask........when changing the battery, do i need to do anything to keep the radio code like the malarky in the old days? :rolleyes:

·
Worn Out Member
6,576 Posts
Jim if you post or pm me the reg i'll check what the battery spec was when it left the factory,you don't have to worry about losing any settings with a battery change but i believe the s/s version has a battery sensor module that should be re-set after a battery change,see below>

The battery sensor module is attached directly to to the negative battery terminal and is used to determine the battery condition by calculating the battery state of charge, state of function, and state of health.
The battery condition is used to help determine if the 12 volt stop/start system will allow a stop/start event to occur when the vehicle has come to a stop.
To determine the battery condition, the battery sensor module must be calibrated.
In normal operation, all current entering or exiting the battery flows through the battery sensor module and is monitored. Any action which charges or discharges the battery that is not monitored by the battery sensor module will require the calibration procedure be performed.
Such instances are:
• The battery was replaced by a battery with the same part number
• The battery was replaced by a battery with a different part number or different specifications
• The battery was recharged while outside the vehicle
• The battery was discharged while outside the vehicle
• The battery was improperly charged:
To properly charge the battery, the negative lead of the charger must be connected to chassis ground, NOT directly to the negative battery post.
Connecting to chassis ground allows current to flow through the battery sensor module during charging and be measured. Connecting directly to the negative battery post charges the battery, but the current is not measured by the battery
sensor module.

If any of these conditions have occurred, the battery sensor module must be calibrated to maintain proper 12 volt start/stop operation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts