Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone on this site seem to have a problem with Ecotec's? I've had mine for 2 years now and she's fine! The engine, fair enough, her ICV needs cleaning now and again but apart from that shes perfect! Nothing ever goes wrong with her, and its the same with a few other lad's Ecotec's I know (altho they are the Corsa ones). The oil doesn't leak, the steerings responsive, the electrics and starter motor never fail etc etc etc so will people please stop slating Ecotec's as they are, in my opinion, good engines, and thereby, good cars. It annoys me thats all, how would redtops and diesel owners feel if they were labelled as SRshite or TurD's? Tint funny is it, so please, stop it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tight git, I didnt mean, a problem with their engine as in, somethings up with it, I meant, people always put ecotec's down and i don't see the problem.

also, paulwr, the clutch goes in every car, no matter what, its called wear and tear, and the clutch eventually gets ground down to a solid smooth plate, fact of life. AND your manifold cracked? Sounds to me, what with your clutch AND your manifod going, that somebody perhaps revved their car a little too hard on occasions......

·
22,199 Posts
I've had experience of 3 2.0 16v Ecotec engines...

Firstly, the one in my Dad's old Vectra CDX - and he never had a single problem with the engine.

Second, is the one in my Calibra - Headgasket went just shortly after i bought it, fixed partly under warrenty, been fine since...had the Lambda sensor go, no biggy...had a fault with the AFM, but was just the plug contacts, that's sorted, and it ticks abit sometimes when started...apart from that i love it...ive added a Lexmaul manifold, Sportex exhaust and Pipercross panel filter and it goes like stink, feel's alot faster than standard.

Third was the one fitted to a Cav CDX which i bought - Headgasket went as soon as we bought it, then it started ticking constantly, then it got sensor faults...that one was abit of a bugger TBH.

Some are good, others are not...IMO id rather have an Ecotec and tune it abit like i have, than a standard XE.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
also said:
every [/I]car, no matter what, its called wear and tear, and the clutch eventually gets ground down to a solid smooth plate, fact of life. AND your manifold cracked? Sounds to me, what with your clutch AND your manifod going, that somebody perhaps revved their car a little too hard on occasions......
Are you having a bad day or something? :think

·
Registered
76 Posts
just a coment...when i bought my cav cdx ecotec the first 3 weeks were terrible as hell....headgasket,alternator, battery, crankshaft sensor...some pounds spent on it...and last week it had new brake discs and pads all around although after two days the pads warning lights came on....funny isnt it? sensor problems .....but good car though

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Are you having a bad day or something? :think
Thats what I was thinking...

And anyways, the rev limiter is there for a reason... if it wasn't meant to be revved that hard, Vauxhall would have set it a 2500rpm

I have one, kick its arse and so does my sister... its goes most places quicker than most things, get hammered from cold and all its had done is the timing belt, the usual IACV cleaning and a exhaust from the cat back... simply because some cHav twat had fitted a Peco and it was shite.

So...

Nobody is against them... but again, Cav turbos are sheds and Turbodiesels are crap too right?

:think

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I have no aversion to Ecotecs - never had one so not qualified to comment.

What does it really matter what anyone thinks of your engine or your car for that matter - as long as you're happy with it, that's the main thing.

The Ecotec does seem to have bit of a reputation for having more problems than the old XE, but that just makes them cheaper to buy, so if you like them you're on to a winner ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
love ecotecs i had loads of people dissing me coz of it, sayin my cav couldnt do this couldnt do that, **** THEM ALL m8 id rather have a ecotec than a xe COZ true vauxhall fans dont like ecotecs, bollex. they just dont like the fact that ecotecs r fast as well !!!!:lmao:

·
There is no replacement for displacement
2,175 Posts
I've got an Ecotec in one of my Cavs (the one I use most for work) and it's a great engine. Apart from the odd sensor going down and dropping a valve, it's been great. And I thrash it round constantly and cover about 800 miles a week (it's a taxi).

I think the main reason people diss them is because they're not quite as nippy as the Red Tops and may have been seen as a backward step by Vx. In which case we only have the government to blame for imposing environmental restrictions on car manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I've got an Ecotec in one of my Cavs (the one I use most for work) and it's a great engine. Apart from the odd sensor going down and dropping a valve, it's been great. And I thrash it round constantly and cover about 800 miles a week (it's a taxi).

I think the main reason people diss them is because they're not quite as nippy as the Red Tops and may have been seen as a backward step by Vx. In which case we only have the government to blame for imposing environmental restrictions on car manufacturers.
Exactly ;) its a backward trend with all engines (not just vaux) how many new models that are released today get slated on car shows

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have had a red top an ecotec and now got an 8 valve so had all 3.
i would just like to say they are all good in there own different ways and are far better than the crap ford knocks up :lmao:

however my last car was a cav ecotec and the engine was ok fast and beats most things but i was pulling my hair out with the engine management light constantly coming on for various reasons such as cam sensor crank sensor etc.
red top although people claim they are faster than ecotec i personally dont think there is much in it just a bit more torque and top end but in terms of acceleration there is little to pick up on.
i have many friends working in vauxhall garage and dealers and you have to ask the question if the ecotec is so bad why did it replace the red top??

i now currently have an 8 valve and touch wood it has been great.
in my experience and the general chat these are the most reliable engines of the 3, they are also the easiest to tune by far and with a little tweaking you can have these running the quickest of the 3 as unfortunately for the ecotec they were actually de-tuned if you like by vauxhall to improve economy therefore engine will never achieve full potential with the injection twin cam system they run (allegedly) :p

but all are good and i would buy a car with any of the 3 engines it is not important to me which the car has and as said before if you are happy thats all that matters :lmao:

·
If it bleeds we can kill it!
692 Posts
Well i've only owned the one ecotech, and other than the usual sensor and icv problems the only major problems have been the headgasket going twice. I see this as a useful learning curve as i am now very confident in working on 16v engines now because of this, and when I eventually have the funds to move onto a v6 i wont be afraid of doing work on it. Afterall a v6 ecotech isn't really any different, other than the two heads :lmao:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I apologize then for saying everyone says Ecotec's are poor. I must have mistakenly picked up on a bad vibe I was getting, I saw someone put Ecowreck, as well as about 5 or 6 comments about ecotec's being crap, and mistakenly believed it reflected a larger proportion of you. However after reading the extensive positive comments on here I must apologize if any offence was taken.

·
vxon cav lover
910 Posts
i had an ecotec in my modified cav and had loads of trouble with sensors, i got sick of changing them, i eventually ripped it out and put a v6 in, (since replaced with a let).on the other hand my dad has a cav ecotec and it never missed a beat apart from icv, so it depends on the luck of the draw.Ads

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.