Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question Lads in respect of Ecotec cams. Got a shagged cylinder head on a Cav with an ecotec fitted. Managed to pick up a used head but have noticed a couple of hairline cracks in 3 of the cam lobes. I can get hold of a pair from an SRi ecotec.

Are the Cams out of the 2 motors the same and does it matter where they are fitted ie Inlet and Exhaust (are they the same)

cheers lads

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers lads. i can't see much different between. i think i just have to time them up according to the pulley marks

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
yes but remember just because you cant see a difference doesnt mean its not there.

if you get standard XE cams and some high lift sport cams you will be hard pushed to spot the slightest bit of difference... we're talking about 10ths of milimetres here. So be positive that you have the right ones in the right place.

best way to do it is look on the cams themselves... they should be numbered or lettered... if they are the same on both then your easy, if not then the new ones should also be marked so that you can put them in the right place.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
had a good look Shrink but nothing on either of them, both just plain castings which got me thinking they may not be OE

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
could be, although not many people go to the trouble of putting after market cams on an ecotec, as they tend not to do very nice things to it.

i guess your best plan would be to get a pair off another car, and just make sure that they take note of which was in which position before sending.

then you can just put them back on and make sure they are lined up correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
They are both the same,both pulleys have an inlet and exhaust timing mark,when you remove the pulley you will see a little dowel on the camshaft that locates into one of two notches (1 for inlet 1 for exhaust) you can't normally see them as there hidden behind the large washers on the bolts that hold the pulley on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers James. Looks pretty straight foward. Just talked to a mate who has a complete engine in his lock up Shrink so i'll strip the covers off before i start just for piece of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts