Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No issues with my car except a knackered glow plug, which I'm about to sort, or so I thought until I did a pedal test tonight and got ECN 2106

U2106 CAN bus, no communication with TCM (automatic transmission control unit)

It's an Auto, and I wasn't aware there were any issues till I went a-looking. It shifts up, down all fine, both in auto and 'manual'. Auto seems to hang onto low gears too long for my liking, but always has.

Where do I start with this? I have no clue and a crappy Opcom clone from the far east which was a waste of money.

·
Worn Out Member
6,581 Posts
if it's not causing any problems i'd ignore it,canbus comms errors are very common.
If your opcom is working you could always check if it's "present" or "not present"

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
My brother had recently bought a second hand astra h from a guy at work, so he knew its recent history, knew i had the opcom an brought it round for a scan (the traction control and abs light were an intermittent fault, he wanted to know which wheel sensor to start looking at) he panicked when he saw loads of canbus errors, until i asked if his workmate had the need to put a new battery on recently.....with canbus errors, unless opcom says present when the engine is running, i ignore them

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK aja - just as well, as I now have a bucket load more since hooking up Opcom, which now seems to be unable to communicate with just about everything / takes forever to connect.

Pedal test displays these:

I may have missed one, as they display at a fair old rate - fine when there's one or two, but not 8.

All seem comms / CanBus related, but car is running ok, no warning lamps at all...for now.

·
Worn Out Member
6,581 Posts
It may be the opcom that's causing the comms faults,i have had it with various faulty units or occasionally with mismatched firmware to software.
My vxdiag caused major problems running tec2win as well and this was down to the unit trying to connect to modules at the wrong can speeds
Maybe it's time to invest in a new one.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I had a problem with the opcom not connecting to certain pins on the obd, and therefore certain ecus, almost like it didnt want to switch the relays, was a very wierd one, swapping for a different usb A-B cable solved it.

·
Worn Out Member
6,581 Posts
I had a problem with the opcom not connecting to certain pins on the obd, and therefore certain ecus, almost like it didnt want to switch the relays, was a very wierd one, swapping for a different usb A-B cable solved it.

It's always worth trying a new cable,i've got through 20 or more in last few years (either damaged or lost),so i bought a job lot of heavy duty Belkin cables and not had a problem since (although i do still lose them):sleep:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh balls - you think my crappy clone might have fragged anything?
Sorry for the amateurish question but what speed should it be connecting at, or does it vary depending on which of the many units?

It does seem to struggle to connect while 'checking interface' as you go into diagnostics, with the occasional 'not responding' across the top tab. It's a waiting game.
I think it's probably worth me junking the Chinese clone Opcom and buying one from Koicarpkeeper that I know works.
Buy cheap, pay twice as they say.

I did speak too soon - yellow 'check engine' lamp lit as soon as I started her up this morning, but runs ok.

·
Worn Out Member
6,581 Posts
It's unlikely the opcom has caused permanent issues,most of the horror story's seem to be people resetting modules before they know what they're doing.
The connection speeds vary depending which can you're connecting to,but that was a firmware issue on vxdiag,i've not heard of it on opcom.
Try a different lead first,but i've always found a global code clear will work,the only code i'm concerned about is P0606 31 Control Unit Re-Initialisation

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help. I'll go digging in the crates of my garage for another A-B lead and try that first.
Firmware on the unit is 1.59, running with software v.120309a.

·
Worn Out Member
6,581 Posts
There is a s/w---f/w mismatch,120309 should ideally run with 1.45,but that doesn't mean it's definitely the problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replacement lead made no difference. If I try to connect and let Opcom automatically detect the car type it fails then retries every 2 seconds, reporting it cannot communicate with the ECU. If you manually chose year, model etc it takes forever to connect and once connected I'm still unable to do much, It reports no DTCs despite the plethora of ECNs on the pedal test.
On the +ve side, the check engine amber lamp is now off.
Car still runs fine - wish I'd left it be.

Sorry, Valer; your post came up as I added mine. Have you any idea which s/w version I should be using with firmware 1.59? 2010V perhaps?

·
Worn Out Member
6,581 Posts
1.59 is a match for 131223c,but don't try changing s/w or firmware,it'll probably completely brick the unit if it isn't already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts