Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me on this?? My nova engine has been making lots of smoke since i fittef my 40's since then i have:

Changed the head gasket
Changed Valve Stem Seals
Re-seated the valves
The valve guides were all fine with very little - no play in them at the time of doing the H/G and the valve seals.

And i'm still getting big plumes grey/white smoke, could this be the mixture settings on the carbs as they have not yet been setup properly or is it something more sinister??

any ideas welcome as i;m completely stumped on this one

P.S. compression was fine before i removed the head, but will check again after work and report back

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what i was thinking, going to have to get it on some rollers and get that lot setup and see what happens. Only problem is its hard to guage consumption at the moment due to the car not being driveable

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'd go with boda, was it making the smoke before you fitted them?

Carbs are great as they are easily adjusted but its getting the right mix, hence why we moved to fuel injection.

Like ya said get it on some rollers with an exhaust gas analyser and get the jets sorted out as it may damage the internals of the engine if their is not enough fuel going in (Though i think its the opposite lol)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the replies

there is definitely too much fuel going in, i cut the plugs last night and they were quite wet with fuel!!!

will be going down the rollers next week for a set up

i've come to the conclusion of a combination of oil in the exhaust + too much fuel, i just need to make it driveable so i can take it on a run and get the oil burnt out of the exhaust then it will be a much easier exercise down at the rr

cheers

andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts