Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having lived with the squeaking alternator for a few weeks, battery & engine management lights came on while on the M4. Limped home without it giving up totally, but the battery light is on all the time now - pulses along with the squeak at idle. Time for a new one i think - any tips on where to get it done in Reading area? Thinking of getting a scrappy one and trying it myself, but haven't got much in the way of time at moment. Is it an easy job with a haynes?

Cheers

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
the belt goes through the engine mount unfortunately which makes it a bit of a bugger if a job in that you have to support the engine when you split the mount. if you are gonna have a bash yourself. put a timing belt in at the same time. i dont know how useful ahynes is with this job.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The alternator is a straightforward job,just undo the relevent bolts and push back on the alt belt tensioner to give the belt enough slack to lift out the alt.You won't be touching the cam belt at all as thats a diffrent job totaly.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
The alternator is a straightforward job,just undo the relevent bolts and push back on the alt belt tensioner to give the belt enough slack to lift out the alt.You won't be touching the cam belt at all as thats a diffrent job totaly.

wouldnt it be a good idea to put a belt on at the same time though? both belts that is

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
wouldnt it be a good idea to put a belt on at the same time though? both belts that is
I suppose yes unless he knows when the cambelt was last changed but given the fact its got a charging problem and changing the alternator is an easy job then i'd just fit the alternator for now to get the car mobile again and get the cambelt done by somebody else/garage if he dosn't fancy ors not confident enough to try himself.On the other hand if i was doing the cambelt then i'd definatly put a new alt belt on the same time as it saves a job later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know from the s/history it's had a new timing belt, water pump & radiator in the last year. Not sure on the cambelt, although it's at 79k so if it hasn't been done it's going to need it

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I know from the s/history it's had a new timing belt, water pump & radiator in the last year. Not sure on the cambelt, although it's at 79k so if it hasn't been done it's going to need it
The timing belt is the cambelt,just a diffrent name used for the same part so at least thats one less thing to worry about:Cool2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the advice chaps. Getting quoted £150 from local garages (although that's including £90 for a brand new part), so will probably get one from a breakers, along with a Haynes manual, and give it a go myself although I'm no expert!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts