Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, im a bit eager to sort this one out as im going to Cornwall a week on Friday and would like to have a nice "trouble free" journey down.:Cool2:

Basically I need to replace cylinders & shoes on both sides. Now having never done this before, I took a peek the other day, had it all apart and got a good idea of the mechanics of it all. Put it back together and now the one side locks up, seems that the self adjuster is cranking up too much, any obvious mistake here?

Also cant get the brake pipe off at the cylinder, the nut has been rounded off by a previous attempt (not guilty this time!), so am I just best to chop it and replace?

Its a 1.6 H plate povity Cav. L!

Essentially im just being a pain in the arse and looking to not make the same mistakes as previous users/members

Thanks in advance, you help is, as ever, appreciated
(And thanks for reading this rant/post/rant!:lmao: )

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
have you got your shoes yet?? i bought some tongiht from halfords and they are on clearence! picked mine up for £3.77 iirc then got a fitting kit for £1.06 mussent grumble hey! doin mine this weekend - get to halfords fast! they are getting rid of all the shoes selling them to a bloke who buys all the old stock up

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sir_bombalong said:
picked mine up for £3.77 iirc then got a fitting kit for £1.06 mussent grumble hey!
Mussent grumble, bloody hell, that a fraction of the £18 odd it cost me from my local, seems ill be trying for a spare set tomorrow :Cool2:

Cheers dude, will look in

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
ye i'd be quick as ours where being sent off tommorrow to a bloke who buys all the old bits and bobs, spent all evening removing all traces of the halfrods logo on the feckin boxes. i belive that the number i gave there should be the same for all drum brakes on cavs - think there the same

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
might have a wander down to my halfords too..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any one able to help, i dont fancy shelling out the £200 odd ive been quoted for my local garage to do it! This weekend is the last chance ill have before my trip so am getting a bit ancious now

Cheers again

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
nip down to hellfarts and get a haynes? they cant be to hard to change

dont blame u for not wanting to not shell out £200!

haynes for a cav - £15
shoes and fitting kit if you are lucky enough to find em on clearence - £4.60

do your back brakes for under £20 - 10% of the cost from the garrage, plus you get a nice haynes manual to have a gander at if something goes wrong again

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, ive got all that, but the self adjuster is winding too tight and causing the brakes to lock up! I must have put something back wrong, but i cant see what compared with the Haynes book! Off to Halfords now rof my spares anyhow :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
Dinky said:
yeah, ive got all that, but the self adjuster is winding too tight and causing the brakes to lock up! I must have put something back wrong, but i cant see what compared with the Haynes book! Off to Halfords now rof my spares anyhow :cool:

i had that problem on a cav before & the arm for the handbrake was riding over the shoes instead of stopping against them & so the adjuster would go slack until it winds itself back up , next time you use the handbrake & release it again the shoe stops where it should & there is too much adjustment on it .

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Drums are a pain in the arse, I hate them :grrr

From experience I change the whole lot. Drums if they've got a lip on, cylinders, shoes and the whole spring kit including the adjusters.

There not that expensive and you wont have to pull them apart for ages.

I always change the handbrake cables at the same time aswell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bubba said:
you dont wanna come cornwall :(

if ya near camborne maccy Ds u shud av a flying visit...im there most nights :p
Oh I do matey, in fast i cant wait, need to have me a little break. Im going to Bude for 3 nights, then on down to Newquay for another 3, no idea if Camborne is en-route but if it is i shall look you up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts