Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy are they to change?

Mine has burst as best I can tell (without stripping the drum down)

How hard are they to replace? priced the cylinder up, about 8 each, + brake fluid..

Anything else I'll need?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we'll see how it goes. ta all.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Might be worth seeing how much a shoe spring/retainer kit is as they can snap or give you grief due to the age.Obviously if one snaps when your halfway through the job and you havn't got any spare one kicking about your stuck with the drum off.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Might be worth seeing how much a shoe spring/retainer kit is as they can snap or give you grief due to the age.Obviously if one snaps when your halfway through the job and you havn't got any spare one kicking about your stuck with the drum off.
Ah yes, the rusty support peg breaking off on a Sunday afternoon with no time or car to get to the shops..good point:think

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fook, this is looking expensive, oh well has to be done i guess :(

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Tbh Gary its not expensive,I think personally if it was mine i'd get the drums off first and see exactly whats happened,worse case is a cylinders burst and contaminated the shoes with brake fluid.Might be worth looking so you know exactly what to get before actually starting the job.Also suprised you havn't got a rear disc conversion lined up for her yet;)

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tbh Gary its not expensive,I think personally if it was mine i'd get the drums off first and see exactly whats happened,worse case is a cylinders burst and contaminated the shoes with brake fluid.Might be worth looking so you know exactly what to get before actually starting the job.Also suprised you havn't got a rear disc conversion lined up for her yet;)
I did, drove to liverpool for it and te ******* pikey cnuts stole it.. so until i can source another, I'm having to repair this.

I'm goin to replace both sides shoes and brake cylinder.

long over due anyhow.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Shoes and cylinders should be cheap enough anyway and once you know they're right it will give you time to look around for another disc beam.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoes and cylinders should be cheap enough anyway and once you know they're right it will give you time to look around for another disc beam.
reckoning around £30, se what my halifrauds trade card will do :)

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah, this got done last year what fun it was..

·
Registered
39 Posts
brake shoes a cylinder and brake fluid was about 30 quid gary.just did mine, we had no probs doin it,we washed the drum off in fairy liquid.changed the shoes and cylinder, and all was cool. except handbrake was stickin. but we messed about with it a few minutes and it was ok. but there again, it was easy for me cos my mates a fitter, lol.i usually draw a diagram when i do it, and usually always get it put back together wrong. good luck. john.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
imho i would change both cylinders as if one failed the other may be sticking / worn . i also change the spring kit if car is a few years old as they get neglected . also the worst that can happen is the brake pipe braking off so use a tight fitting spanner as mentioned . halford tarde include % off tools and there replaceable free if broken .

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers guys, but as I said its been done :)

Both cylinders, a set of shoes and various other bits came to about £37 in total.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear discs to be fitted in the coming weeks :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts