Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Ive just finished up replacing the oil cooler on the Cav V6 (been on it since 9am this morning) and everything has gone well, a few minor hiccups, but after doing my research ive been well prepared. Anyway, ive reassembled the car and with 3 bolts to go before finishing up before doing a coolant refil/flush i go and drop a bolt (that secures the wiring rail to the inlet manifold) and would you believe it drops into the alternator air intake pipe that goes around the back of the engine - dagnammit.

Personally i dont think it will be a problem, but i just wondered if you would give me your view as to whether the airflow will flick it onto/into the alternator OR if there is something else down there that im not aware of that it could foul against and cause a problem. If so i will not start the engine until trying to remove it (tomorrow now).

Im going to go back out there, tidy up the garage and refill the coolant system reading for flushing. I would like to flush the system tonight, but if there is a danger, ill leave it all until tomorrow now. Many thanks for your time,

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think ill be sensible and wait until tomorrow now before turning the engine over...

Now ive sat down at the pc, i realise how drained i feel from bending over the engine bay all day! Bed time me thinks,

Regards

Mark

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
whoops, lol

magnet on a peice of string or a rod that bend well??? depending on what the tibe is made out of, put tape arround the magnet then you can still move it

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
if you unbolt the shroud you can move it back a little bit - maybe you can see where it's gone. Failing that - downpipes off then you can remove the shroud completely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right o, thanks for these tips.

I like the idea of the unbolting the shroud first, then if unsuccessful, the magnet on the string method.

I must admit to a wry smile crossing my (so called ) face at the casual way you (Reverb) dropped in the suggestion of removing the downpipes -that could have been straight out of a Haynes manual:lmao:

You mean the exhaust manifold downpipe from the rear head dont you?

I think id try turning the car upside down and shaking it out before that:lmao:. I'll look at it though when im down there, maybe its quite easy and my reluctance stems from my lack of familiarity of the engine.

I'll report back

Regards

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right then, job done.

I also pm'd MarkT about this and i received this advice from him:

"There's a Self tapper that holds the ducting in the ally Cowling.

You may be able to get at it from there.

The Starter motor is immediately under the cowling, so I doubt the bolt will get anywhere it can do any harm."

Based on this (and other peoples advice on this thread) i was able to approach the task with at least some form of plan.

On my car i also noticed (after removing a retaining nut in the location MarkT detailed) that there was another star bolt on the passenger side of the shield too. So i suspected another one to be buried on the other side (and be unreachable, as its never easy is it?:lmao: ). Therefore i used a spanner to tap along the pipe and shield in the hope of 'encouraging' the bolt to move to the lowest point (around the starter motor area).

Using the tips of my fingers i was able to feel my way under the bottom lip of the shield and i was lucky enough to brush against the bolt! I was then able to coax it along towards me (the passenger side of the shield) with a gentle 'stroking' motion with my fingertips (i could not reach enough of it to grab it) and with patience i eventually moved it to the corner of the shield where it popped out into my hand.

Superb.

The car started first time, no warning lights, and smooth idle, settling to approx 700 ish rpm after warming up for a few minutes. Coolant system now flushed (3 times, 2nd time with Wynns coolant flush) and now refilled again with AF mixed in. Preliminary flight test to commence after dinner.

Sweet.

Thanks very much indeed to all of you, i thought i should post this up for future reference to others.

However, it doesnt get any better, as now my ruddy GTE 16v has fallen ill (please see in the Astra forum in an hour or so if youre bored!)

Best regards :Cool2:

Mark

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
There are 3 fittings holding the Cowling, the Self tapper mentioned holds the Ally concertina hose into the cowling ;)

Assuming you have one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to drag an old topic back up, but I was searching for info regarding the alternator ducting.
Last few days I have heard a loud whistling (like air escaping) coming from the back of the engine, had the Alternator replaced 2 weeks ago and I notcied last night that the ducting wasn't put into the cowling properly. I'm not sure if this is causing the noise, but it doesn't look right either way.

I dunno but it seems the 'hole' for the duct to go into isn't a round shape like the duct, and when the duct is squashed in there are large gaps around the pipe due to the hole being mishaped - is this normal??

Above Mark mentioned a self tapping holding it into the cowling, I was wondering how far the ducting should go into the cowling, is it only just into the entrance or does it go deep into it or out the other side onto the alternator at all??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts