Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A comment in another thread made me think...

How often do you drive for the pleasure of actually driving? What routes do you like?

I used to do it all the time. I loved it. But now, I drive to get from place to place. Sometimes I enjoy the journey, but not often.

There's a couple of roads near me that are great and given the right traffic (i.e. none), then I'll usually get a smile on my face. To be honest, that's not happened much with the Skoda, but then my driving with the Skoda has been very much necessity-based due to lockdowns etc. The other half's Mini is more entertaining to drive - lower down, less roll, a bit more go-kart like.

I would love to do the North Coast 500 as well as visit the 'EVO triangle' at some point.

·
Premium Member
15,591 Posts
Generally I just drive from A to B for a purpose. Although I do use my car for work and to travel to different services within my local area. So I do enjoy driving through a lot of B roads, when the traffic is light, which it usually is for me, as often I work shifts.
95% of the time I drive my Astra, find that very relaxing when not stuck within heavy traffic, as it's an auto with plenty of torque. The wife's 1.5t mini cooper is more of an entertaining drive, but I tend to occasionally drive it to make sure it's running OK without issues.
I enjoy runs out to Whitby from where I live in Guisborough, over the Moors road. As I live on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors nation park. So plenty of open country roads too.
There's more of a traffic build up when I head North along the A19 and through Middlesbrough or Stockton on tees where I visit family.
I really enjoy holidays to Northumberland and the Scottish boarders where there's a lot less traffic and people to put up with. Which is around 120 miles further north for me.

·
Rascal
12,267 Posts
I miss it as well. Family life as much as anything gets in the way as well as having a terribly mundane car.

I did have to do a long journey a couple of weeks ago with no one else in the car, definitely enjoyed that though even if it was just an a-b drive

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I used to enjoy driving, but now I feel all the pleasure has been sucked out of it.
What with average speed cameras, 20 MPH zones, humps, Police hiding in the bushes with a speed detector etc, for me there is very little fun in driving anymore.

It's purely to get from A to B for a specific purpose now.

Maybe I've just turned in to a grumpy old man , who knows! :LOL:

·
Likes this.
11,308 Posts
There are two types of "driving for pleasure" and I still enjoy them both, although I don't do it as often as I used to I guess for various reasons, 2020 lockdown included.

Type 1 - going somewhere "for the hell of it". When the lockdown lifted a bit earlier in the year and you were allowed to drive a bit more, we used to just get in the car a couple of times a month and drive somewhere for something to do, to get away from home as we'd been working at home all week. I'd just bought the Leon too, so it was a real pleasure just to get out of the house and drive for an hour or so, no rush, no stress, end up somewhere (New Forest, south coast), have a walk about, maybe have something to eat or a coffee and then go home again. Traffic jams were still pretty much non-existent but even when it did get a bit busy at times I wasn't bothered because we weren't in any kind of hurry.

Type 2 - Find a stretch of road that's fun to drive "enthusiastically". One of my favourite bits of road to drive is the A30 from Salisbury to Shaftesbury, late at night usually. It's a twisty A road and I know it like the back of my hand, every camber, every bump, because I've driven it so often for over 30 years. My eldest still lives in Shaftesbury so I still get to do it once in a while. Not silly speeds at all, but "fun" ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Most of my driving is done at night, usually for work, and I have a deep seated hatred of the A9 between Perth and Inverness with I have to drive on a regular basis. From October- December I’m dayshift and driving between inverness, Garve and Golspie.

The NC500 iv done most of for work, the only part I haven’t done is from Applecross to Doune Rhae, only because there’s no railway there.

Iv never really had much time for pleasure drives, and tourists doing 25mph so they can get a pic of the hills are a danger to other road users.

I tend not to drive during the day as there seems to be a vast amount of idiots and people that really shouldn’t have a licence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Vauxhall Astra G 1.6 8v Active.
297 Posts
Good thread! (y):)

Its so easy to forget the thrill of when you'd just got your licence and the pleasure of going for a drive solo. It's a fair old while ago now, but I remember it like yesterday. Morris Marina and Boston in the tape deck! :cool:

As already commented, all the things that get in the way, its really easy to lose the buzz. Aggresive drivers, bad roads, congestion etc etc etc BUT even the most mundane of drives can become interesting by concentrating on car control. Basic things like the timing of a gear change or lane positioning. I dont think I'll ever get bored of that. Driving smoothly, pushing the car a bit more or maybe going for an eco run and concentrating on maxing the mpg. Its all good.

And much like SteveW said "going somewhere "for the hell of it". I do that every week without fail. Be it 30 mins or 4 hours. Sod it, I'm off. At the moment I'm really enjoying my old Astra and having my USB full of tunes. Back to basics and it's great.

Like a lot of things in life, enjoy it while you can.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,832 Posts
Guess it's an age thing really, many of us aren't 21 anymore :oops: :geek:

I used to find absolutely any excuse to go for a long pointless blast, and burn daft amounts of petrol for no particular reason. Baiting other quick cars was a bit of a hobby in my daft days (usually on empty dual carriageways). The old cliché - Popping out for a pint of milk round the corner, returning home 90 minutes later with an empty tank.

Things change as we mature. We have less time, more responsibilities and less SPARE money to waste on such frivolities,....coupled with more mechanical sympathy and a greater appreciation for human safety.

So, these days, for us, about 85% of journeys have a practical end-goal (visiting/shops/gigs/rehearsals/appointments/tip/ferrying teenagers/work stuff/camping etc), and the rest IS for the odd random drive (just me and the wife on the whole).

As for the cars themselves, I love going out in the VXR, with its lairy map that gives a good 'bang' after each hard gear change. It sometimes tries to kill me, so it needs respect. The Prodrive Impreza is by far the most rewarding in the twisties (Litchfield Type 25 Handling Pack), and it's surprisingly smoooooth and civilised as a daily driver. Unbelievable AWD grip. The Audi is wayyyyy faster than the other two when there's a working gearbox in it), but strangely I enjoy burbling around in it slowly, riding the torque and enjoying the mega low-end soundtrack. Dab the throttle too hard though, and you're going straight to jail. Any speed limit is only a few short seconds away. For yeeeears I lusted after a car that would do 0-60 in 4 seconds,......but now that I have one, you do that drag a few times, and THEN what?.......you can't KEEP doing that, so you just learn to enjoy the car in different ways. Different if I'm taking a friend out for a demo/blast, or trying to beat cars away from the toll barriers on the M6 Toll.

As with other aspects of life, things like driving pleasure can depend on our mood, level of tiredness, stress levels and various other stuff. One day we blast, one day we cruise,.....other days we can't be arsed with ANY of it.

We know if it's a GOOD day or GOOD car for driving bliss,......if we fight over the car keys before we leave.

·
14,176 Posts
Absolutely no pleasure driving down the M4 tonight in sweeping drizzle that was stopping and starting all the time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Absolutely no pleasure driving down the M4 tonight in sweeping drizzle that was stopping and starting all the time.
Yeah we've all had a few of those. I've had 4 hours stationary because of an accident several times on the A14 over the years. Oh, and freezing fog is a personal pet hate. Not all driving is pleasure. Releif on arriving safely at the end! (y)

Janet - That is some car collection you've got there. Mrs Westy would like any one of those! :)
It's right what you say about getting used to performance, doesnt take long for it to become normal.

·
28,832 Posts
Janet It's right what you say about getting used to performance, doesnt take long for it to become normal.
It's all relative, but my cars briefly felt like diesel Volvos, when my mate Jimbo brought this daft Datsun round. A standard variant of this version hits 0-60 in 2.8 seconds,..........and this one wasn't standard. Seeeeeeeerious bang in the kidneys. If you can begin to guess what the acceleration feels like, it's waaaaayyyyy harder than that 😣😣

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's all relative, but my cars briefly felt like diesel Volvos, when my mate Jimbo brought this daft Datsun round. A standard variant of this version hits 0-60 in 2.8 seconds,..........and this one wasn't standard. Seeeeeeeerious bang in the kidneys. If you can begin to guess what the acceleration feels like, it's waaaaayyyyy harder than that 😣😣

View attachment 95300

View attachment 95301

View attachment 95302
I'll bet that's a bit lively! I've been passenger in a 2002 911 Turbo, and that was crazy fast. The GTR would be another level though. If you're good, I'll treat you to a spin in my might 84BHP Astra! :D

·
28,832 Posts
If you're good, I'll treat you to a spin in my might 84BHP Astra! :D
Bought my lad a Corsa with that power. Good little engine. Effortless on the motorway with cruise control on,.......needs a good old rev to get going in the lower gears though. My dream car (early Fiat 126) has 23 bhp :cool:

·
Premium Member
15,591 Posts
It becomes a pleasure to drive when you have a comfortable car to drive and I find my Vectra an absolute pleasure to drive, I've put about 24,000 miles on it since I bought it 4 years ago, driving around the North East picking things up.
I'd second that, the elite spec Astra J is about the most comfortable car I've driven, leather seats, comfort suspension, diesel engine with an auto box. Rarely need to rev it over 3k, lazy mans driving for sure.

·
14,176 Posts
,.......needs a good old rev to get going in the lower gears though. My dream car (early Fiat 126) has 23 bhp :cool:
My lawnmower has got 13 bhp and a better power to weight ratio. :D8

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I hate driving now. I used to drive all over especially when I was stationed in Germany during the seventies. I didn't think anything of getting in the loaded up car with the wife and two kids and driving to UK to see my parents then up to Yorkshire and then back to Germany. Did that journey two or three times a year for four years. Drove all over the bits of Europe that I could get to easily from my base.

Now I'm much older, way too much traffic and idiots on the roads. I now only drive to get from A to B. If I ever win the lottery big time I will employ a permanent chauffeur to be at my beck and call.

·
Super Moderator
27,038 Posts
The only way i get pleasure out of driving these days is by using my driving & motorcycle riding skills , it’s no longer about purely going fast from A - B but about driving accurately & swiftly using my spacial awareness skills & observations learnt from riding motorcycles for many years.
I also use my rally driving experience to hug corners & exit swiftly with precision which i quite like the feeling off as i see other drivers cars struggling to make the turn as they enter too fast & swing out too much & lose pace.
There is a road leading to a roundabout with an exit road that climbs up to our village that if you get the Astra positioned right is good fun. Keep the speed steady & aim for the kerb of the roundabout , hold steering straight then feel the chassis stiffen up the turn the steering wheel & throttle on , the chassis then goes neutral & Astra flows up the straight line you’ve made yourself & woof your up the road , balance & handling in harmony. However get it wrong & your in trouble as many drivers have found out when sitting on the crash barriers , did you brake mate at the bottom before the roundabout? “ Yes “
I once forgot the police were behind me , “ Some driving that was my friend , you pulled away from us as we followed you through the roundabout “
My Vespa 300GTI scooter was good fun , rolling up to the front of traffic , lights green & woosh I’ve gone , cars a speck in the distance.
But most of the time when you get to the end of a week driving amongst some of the muppets on the roads you’ve had enough & the pleasure been replaced by tiredness,
Like i said to my co worker last week after 10 days of driving for 10 hours a day with no aim or destination other than to just drive around the midlands in the Mini Bus with a passenger sitting in the back , “ I’ve had enough I don’t want to drive anymore “
My co worker pointed out , “ we’ve still got to return the bus & you’ve got to drive your Astra otherwise we won’t get home “
Good point , i refused to drive for 3 days afterwards lol 😂

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,314 Posts
I used to enjoy the "get in the car and just drive (maybe 200-300miles)...we'll end up where we end up".
Now, there's no pleasure in it. Car is a barge...luxury barge, but isn't exactly a driver's car for a B road blast... too much risk of winning a SCAMera prize, nothing open, nowhere to go. Now it's a glorified shopping trolley, to and from work and dog bed on wheels...trip to the beach a few miles away and that's about it!

·
Premium Member
15,591 Posts
I think going back to the 80's when I first started to drive, no speed cameras, police didn't seem that bothered about speeding & more importantly there was far less traffic on the roads. So back then for me driving for pleasure was common place. Then as the years role by, your responsibilities change too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts