Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last years accident I was giving the choice of a day & half course or risk it in court.

So after the course was it worth it?

Yes no preaching, no anti speed ******.

About 4 hours driving - but I ended up in an R reg Discovery V8 with the course instructor as I wanted an auto.

Anyway I now know about limit points and sensible gaps

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So you learnt a lot?

Having done driving instructor training, and all that goes with it, find it worrying how little drivers know about driving :shake

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
CallyT said:
So you learnt a lot?

Having done driving instructor training, and all that goes with it, find it worrying how little drivers know about driving :shake
when did you do the driving instructor training and who with ? (if I can ask...?)

it's one of the things I toy with now and again as a possible career change and greater independence....

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Vanishing points, features, latereral observation, mirror, mirror, mirror!
what is the gaff
anticipate, observe, Plan, restraint.
full theory test.
very good, as CallyT says it makes you realise how bad some people are!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
expatscot said:
when did you do the driving instructor training and who with ? (if I can ask...?)

it's one of the things I toy with now and again as a possible career change and greater independence....
The instructor college in Southampton.
Not cheap, and not given enough tuition for 3rd test - instructing (which is a *******).
Driving instructing is nowhere near as attractive once you properly look into it :down:

(sorry for thread hi-jack!) :beer:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Totally agree.

Everyone thinks they are a safe / better than average driver, and most of the problem is the idea of teaching/assessing you once, then letting you continue for practically the rest of your driving life without any other re-assessing.

Once you've passed the usual driving test (which I have no problem with, other than the lack of motorway/dual carrageway testing), there should be a limit on what you can drive and how many people you can carry as passengers. Then after six months/1 years driving experience, an examiner will sit in with you to observe. Doesn't need to be so strict as the main driving test, but needs to be happy that you are a safe driver, then you can ditch the P plates. Could go one stage further and make a skid pan course and/ar advanced dring test compulsory.

But of course, I don't know how this could be effectively measured when we can't even keep uninsured & unliscenced drivers off our roads in the first place.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris12345 said:
Once you've passed the usual driving test (which I have no problem with, other than the lack of motorway/dual carrageway testing), there should be a limit on what you can drive and how many people you can carry as passengers. .
Good points. This 6 points in first (2?) years is helping, or hopefully will.
It is a shockingly low standard required to pass an L test too.

When little brother passed his test, I took him out and taught him to drive fast. Pretty much every 17 year old lad who passes their test is going to drive like a lunatic for a while, I did.
It was the lesser of two evils taking him out to do this, and on balance the safest thing to do. If he's going to do it, at least give him the tools to do it that his driving tuition wouldn't have done.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i got a NIP last week...40 in a 30...i was in the truck driving down the A67 in cleveland...a 60 limit and i was doing 40 ...and i missed my turning so i carried on along the road...i did'nt see the 30 sign as i was looking for a junction to turn...and i passed a mobile camera...did'nt think anything about it cos' i thought i was still in the 60 zone...

then went to work and the boss told me...bugger
£60 and 3 points...but i dont know if ill get offered the course

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
All the people with me had had bumps of some sort, one woman had been on a first drive in a paddle shift alfa!
She admitted accidently hitting the brake with her clutch foot causing her vehical to do an emergeny stop for no reason. The van following too close hit her....The police held her at fault....and sent her on the course.
Another participant was a guy edging out of a juction to see round an illegally parked car obstructing his view. a moped came past and clipped his front....no injury.
nobody for speeding!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts