Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I have a CAV 1.8 1994 and need to change the outer CV boot for the MOT, problem is I don't know what size the driveshaft nut is? Also will I need a deep socket as the driveshaft tread sticks out alot, could I just cut this down a bit and use a normal socket
thanks
jack

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
30mm iirc!!!!
Could cut it but make sure the nut comes off and goes back on cos if it dont then your up sheeeet streak :up:

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
WannabeCowboy said:
30mm iirc!!!!
Could cut it but make sure the nut comes off and goes back on cos if it dont then your up sheeeet streak :up:
its a 30mm you shouldnt need a long socket rly. cut it if ya want but make sure you cut it straight and that the nut is on when you do.

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
stuart002 said:
its a 30mm you shouldnt need a long socket rly. cut it if ya want but make sure you cut it straight and that the nut is on when you do.

He canna get to the nut,,,, thats why hes got to cut it!!!!
So it will be on m8 :up:

C

·
0 Posts
Why not get a deep socket?
Also, you don't need to undo the hub-nut to do a cv boot on a cav.

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
I invested in a deep rear 30mm socket for hust this job. Its a worth while investment in my eyes ;)

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
CallyT said:
then what take the shaft out the box and slide it on from that end?? or take the joint off without removing it from the hub, although i dont think you would ever get to the circlip tbh. you got me big time:crying_2: , reveal all. lol

C

·
0 Posts
You can get to the circlip, and then get enough clearance to change the boot with it all in place.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
C3MKY said:
I invested in a deep rear 30mm socket for hust this job. Its a worth while investment in my eyes ;)
Same here, I lent 30mm normal sockets but they wouldn't fit on, had to pay about £7 to get one.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
CallyT said:
You can get to the circlip, and then get enough clearance to change the boot with it all in place.

hmm, it must be kinda ackward, the circlip can be a bstard to open at the best of times. and thats with the driveshaft out, and the balljoint split. not the way id do it, but if it works, then hey happy days:lmao:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did both sides on mine in about 25 minutes, just cut off the old boots, split the bottom ball joints and opened the circlip. Easy peasy :D

Lee

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
you can either use a 30mm deep reach socket or sometimes you can manage to spread the circlip and the shaft will pull out the joint without undoing any ball joints etc

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Welung666 said:
I did both sides on mine in about 25 minutes, just cut off the old boots, split the bottom ball joints and opened the circlip. Easy peasy :D

Lee
try doing one that has collapsed, and subsequently welded itself to the shaft!!:lmao:

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
And leave the nut on the end if you have to hit the shaft out of the hub. As I found out to my peril last weekend.

C

·
0 Posts
CavHopper said:
And leave the nut on the end if you have to hit the shaft out of the hub. As I found out to my peril last weekend.
Oh dear :lmao:
Dremel can help in times like this.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
CavHopper said:
you hammered the end of the threads on the shaft?:lmao: oh dear, howd you get outa that 1? new shaft?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts