Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone out there painted (themselves) the door protector stripes & door handles.

I have a silver MK4 Astra SRi and I want them all silver.

I am guessing I can remove them, plastic primer them, couple of coats of silver and some lacquer to finish?

Regarding the door handles - I am guessing it could be easier to buy ones from the scrappy which are already silver??? Or is is better to paint my existing ones?

Anyone done this before and can offer advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
you can paint them yourself easily enough,
door handles take a little bit of time but no big prob (iirc the handle comes apart from the outer edgeing so easy to spray)
but for the bump strips you need to sand them down quite a big because of the texture they have, they need to be smooth otherwise they will look awful imo,

all is easily D.I.Y'able tho, just use vauxhall paint to get the best match, and make sure you get the right colour (there are 3 star silvers so give them the colour code to make sure you get the right one)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats for the response.

Do you think I can get the handles done in 1 day? By this I mean with the primer, coats and lacquer. All I am thinking is a car with no door handle is undrivable!!!

Also - do the door candles come off easily? I assume I take off the door interior panels and then I can access the hande? Does it then lever off in some way?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
yep just take the door cards off and handles are simple enough,

as for doing it in one day...yes it would be possible, but tbh would be better leaving them a night or 2 to harden id expect,
best idea would be to get some handles from a scrappy to work on, then you can take your time, also you could get a rear drivers side handle to replace the normal drivers one to "delock" the car,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bang on idea about getting the handles to work on, that is what I will do and as suggested I will take opporuntity to delock the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts