Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dometic CRX50 Fridge which is probably about 18 months old.

It is in my Vivaro. To be honest, it’s been hardly used, probably no more than 10 days all told. And

It has been working perfectly until now. 12v Only.

I am running with a large new leisure battery with a split charge

However the fridge now runs for a short time before the compressor stops and the red light and the orange light comes on. There is no flashing light.

If I switch it off for a minute and then back in again, the compressor runs for a short time before cutting out again.

The freezer compartment will not freeze things but there are a few drops of ice around. Particularly around the top of the compartment

I did a 2 Hour drive today and it made no difference, the battery voltage is showing as 13.

It doesn’t matter what temperature I set the thermostat to, it makes no difference.

If I press the Temperature Selection Button for 3 seconds to put the fridge into Fast Cooling Function, the compressor keeps running.

According to the troubleshooting in the booklet, it may be the temperature sensor which is defective which may account for why it will go into Fast Cooling Function but not regulate itself.

How easy is it to change the temperature sensor and do you think that’s likely to be the cause of the problem based upon what I have told you?

Is this a common problem? Has anyone else had it?

I haven’t got the receipt because I bought it online and I haven’t got a clue where it came from.

Does anyone know a supplier of parts for these or will any caravan repair place be able to fix it?

Thank you for your help everyone.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

I shall try that although it cuts out not long after it has been running (a couple of minutes) so I hardly think it had time to overheat .

The left hand side of the unit which the fridge is in does not go all the way to the van wall.

There is a gap the full height of the fridge about 100 mm wide or down the back.

Still, for the sake of a few screws, it’s easy enough to try. Thank you for the suggestion.

Kind regards.

Try running it out of the van, if it works then it could be a ventilation problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put vents in the floor under the cooler unit so it draws cool air in from the outside. I also fitted two small pc fans to the top of fridge aperture to suck the air through in hot weather. The furniture got rather hot around the fridge before extra vents and fans fitted.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE.

The Dometic website is awful.

In frustration I emailed them with the problems and I got a standard reply.

I managed to get one local ish person that can look at it at the end of June!

Everyone else that I have left messages for (impossible to get to speak to a human being) hasn’t called back.

It’s frustrating that Dometic seem to have the caravan/motorhome market sewn up because if I had the choice again, I wouldn’t pee in the company of it was on fire.

Their “service partners” are no better. They should be called “lack of service partners”.

I think I’m just going to have to wait for the June person to look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Areet.
I've been waiting ages to get signed up on here. So long, in fact our conversion has been completed and we've been away loads.

On topic, we have this fridge. Was all fitted professionally and, initially, we had no probs. Couple of trips up north, off grid but a fair bit of driving inbetween stopovers. Had a 4 night stay, on EHU, in the Lakes and the Fridge packed in. Orange light constantly on but if we turned the fridge off/on would be blue temporarily.
By the time we got back the fridge was working ok.
Tried a few scenarios at home to replicate the problem before kicking off with our fitter. Happened all the time also with a flashing red suggesting "voltage drop".
Took it back and then had to take it to the nearest Domitec Servicers. Straight away, after pulling the fridge out, "Les" the fitter said the cable wasn't thick enough. Explained the problems these fridges have ref voltage drop and recommended min 28g to 40g wires.
Took it back to our bloke and this was the first he'd heard of it. Said he used the same size cable the fridge came with. ;(

Anyway he's redone the wiring and all's well. Apparently a major flaw with the Domitec CRX range and causes all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Further to this I tried googling "Domitec faults" etc before heading back to my conversion fella and didnt really find anything useful. Not even on forums. However my neighbour's (who's doing his own T5) 1st question was "how big's the cable?". He's just fitted a cheaper fridge for now but has pre-wired it in 6mm to avoid problems when he fits his Domitec.
After having mine checked by Domitec & being told the crack, before I went back to the conversion fella, I googled "what size cable for a Domitec CRX"
This stood out and confirms the sensitivity of these fridges.

https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/shop...idges/12v-supply-cable-for-waeco-crx-fridges/

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine was supplied with Waeco 240/12v converter box which has worked well for 30 months switches automatically from 12v on the move to 240 hook up and back again.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apologise for not following this up.

I got it looked at in mid-July.

The guy connected it directly to a brand-new leisure battery and it was fine.

He connected it to a power pack which had been used and it was not fine.

Voltage drop.

He also blamed the cable which it seems is responsible for the power drop.

I had actually used a cable which was slightly bigger than the short length which came with the Fridge and it seems that the cable which comes with the fridge is okay if that is the only length that you use!

What was surprising was that it had worked fine for 18 months and then decided it didn’t like the cable or voltage supply.

I am replacing with 2.5mm flex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was supplied with Waeco 240/12v converter box which has worked well for 30 months switches automatically from 12v on the move to 240 hook up and back again.
If u have a leisure battery with spit system etc and hook up etc do i need the converter.. Surely that dos same thing I. E when hook up it runs via 240... Confused help appreciated

·
Registered
207 Posts
You haven't said how you have yours connected but the converter makes life simple, no need for switching connections or pulling plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi thank u for your time. Mine is currently connected to a leisure battery in my van. The leisure battery is charged by driving, can be charged when on hook up. How do you connect the converter to fridge and do u also connect to leisure battery I. E for 12v

·
Registered
207 Posts
I connected to the battery via a fuse box, 10amp fuse. The converter is connected to the fridge via two wires. Plug the other cable to 240v socket and it will switch between both sources automatically. All instructions in the manual and works a treat. Make sure the unit has a UK plug fitted as some supply with a euro plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts