Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that on BMWs, the ECU keeps a record of the mileage and stores it in non-volatile memory (e.g. EPROM or EEPROM), so that the true mileage is retained even if the dashboard has been clocked/replaced. Furthermore, when the key is inserted in the ignition, the data is downloaded to the keyfob, so a BMW dealer can read the key using a portable reader and see the true mileage of the vehicle.

Now setting aside the obvious questions such as what happens if the ECU is swapped (no idea…), does anyone know if there is something similar in the Omega?

The reason for asking is that the mileage counter on my dash stopped working some time ago, it was fixed by Vx under warranty but I am not sure how many miles the car covered while the odometer was not working – I am fairly confident that I spotted it very early on but it would still be nice to see what the true mileage is.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
No, its not logged on the Omega, I suspect that this is only realy viable on new CAN bus based systems where all the controllers are on a common bus.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - I thought that the 2.6/3.2 was using CAN bus? Not that I understand much about it, but I did see it mentioned in various places regarding the Omega. Is this the case? As for the mileage, I guess I'll have to go by my instinct and assume that I did catch it in time. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I thought when my 98 Omega was plugged into Tech2 a couple of years back, they did read mileage from it, and it corresponded to the dash. I only remember this as I hadn't had it long, it remember being reassured that it hadn't been clocked...?

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
The mileage is stored in 2 places at least on the Vectra.

Tech2 read back a different mileage, to what the clocks are showing, on our last 2 Vectras.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
For full comms on a CAN bus system you need alkl devcies to be CAN bus, the 2.6 and 3.2 are CAN bus units but, the rest of the car is not....unlike the Newer Vectras etc which are full CAN bus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts