Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1372 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Wasn't it Bournemouth council that declared a State of Emergency yesterday, these people are like sheep and are so ignorant of the seriousness of the times we are living in, a major fault/blame has to lay at the governments door, if Boris Johnson had the balls and backbone to sack Dominic Cummings for massively breaking the lockdown rules, now people have the attitude if he can do it why can't I.
Yes it was Bournemouth council that declared it a "State of Emergency" I'm not exactly sure what declaring that actually entails.

As much as I detest Cummings and the Conservative party, I'm not sure sacking him would have made much of a difference in this case.
But yes it sure doesn't help the situation.

Yes ignorant and stupid people have decided they have had enough of lockdown, even though the lockdown here in the UK was hardly a lockdown at all.
In other parts of the world people weren't allowed out of their homes at all.
Honestly these idiots really don't know how soft our lockdown has actually been, yet they still complain.

Had the government acted much earlier we probably wouldn't have had to have such an extended lockdown at all. Not that they will ever admit that.

Stay Alert!

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts
Yes it was Bournemouth council that declared it a "State of Emergency" I'm not exactly sure what declaring that actually entails.

As much as I detest Cummings and the Conservative party, I'm not sure sacking him would have made much of a difference in this case.
But yes it sure doesn't help the situation.

Yes ignorant and stupid people have decided they have had enough of lockdown, even though the lockdown here in the UK was hardly a lockdown at all.
In other parts of the world people weren't allowed out of their homes at all.
Honestly these idiots really don't know how soft our lockdown has actually been, yet they still complain.

Had the government acted much earlier we probably wouldn't have had to have such an extended lockdown at all. Not that they will ever admit that.

Stay Alert!
Many many countries around the world are struggling with not just the first wave but in preventing the first wave reappearing again.
Testing isn’t stopping this virus like they all told us it would do & local lockdowns just create confusion & there’s no joined up thinking within countries or between countries.
To see how powerful this virus is just see how it’s made the jump into the Brazilian rain forest.
Now here’s the bits that change , the reactions to the virus type of change , in Spain they’ve recorded some new cases of Covid -19.
So the authorities are thinking of launching drones into the sky to fly over beaches & crowded areas , the drones will issue dispersal warnings to holiday makers to leave the beach immediately.
If not adhering to the rules the police will enter the area & move people on.
The wearing of face coverings at all times in all situations maybe put into place.
Those that don’t keep social distancing & face coverings on the list of rules etc will suffer from massive infections & a high death rate.
America are you listening?

·
13,142 Posts
17 more arrests in dawn raids this morning following the mass brawl a few days ago at one of our local beaches. More to come I expect. Some travelled a considerable distance to get there, take their brains out and throw them in the sea.

·
Premium Member
10,985 Posts
Government ‘supporting’ Leicester amid chance of local lockdown
The Government says it is supporting officials in Leicester in their battle against Covid-19 after a report the city could be subject to Britain's first local lockdown this week.
The Sunday Times said the Government was preparing to impose the lockdown "within days" after a surge in coronavirus cases in the city.
The paper said Health Secretary Matt Hancock had been examining legal aspects of the shutdown after it was revealed 658 new cases were recorded in the Leicester area in the two weeks to June 16.
The risk of catching #coronavirus is much less, if you're 2 metres away from an infected person than if you're 1 metre away.
Until the number of cases in #Leicester comes down, please be extra cautious and continue to keep 2 metres apart from people you don't live with. pic.twitter.com/lwbq3TLavB
— Leicester City Council (@Leicester_News) June 27, 2020
The Department of Health and Social Care on Sunday stopped short of saying a local lockdown was likely for Leicester, but acknowledged the city was an area of concern as it urged residents in the city to be vigilant against the virus.

"We are supporting the council and local partners in Leicester to help prevent further transmission of the virus," the spokesman said in a statement.
"We have deployed four mobile testing sites and made thousands of home testing kits available, to ensure anyone in the area who needs a test can get one.
We urge the people of Leicester to continue to practice social distancing, wash their hands regularly, get tested immediately if they have symptoms and follow the (NHS) advice
Department of Health and Social Care
"NHS Test and Trace will contact anyone testing positive to help them identify their recent contacts and advise who may have been near to someone with the virus to stay at home to prevent the spread.
"We urge the people of Leicester to continue to practice social distancing, wash their hands regularly, get tested immediately if they have symptoms and follow the advice they receive if contacted by NHS Test and Trace. This advice is there to protect communities and save lives."
The Sunday Times said Leicester's rise in cases follows an outbreak in food production plants in the area and reports of large crowds gathering outside takeaway restaurants.

Copied this News report, nice knowing you Fred

·
13,142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts
Government ‘supporting’ Leicester amid chance of local lockdown
The Government says it is supporting officials in Leicester in their battle against Covid-19 after a report the city could be subject to Britain's first local lockdown this week.
The Sunday Times said the Government was preparing to impose the lockdown "within days" after a surge in coronavirus cases in the city.
The paper said Health Secretary Matt Hancock had been examining legal aspects of the shutdown after it was revealed 658 new cases were recorded in the Leicester area in the two weeks to June 16.

The Department of Health and Social Care on Sunday stopped short of saying a local lockdown was likely for Leicester, but acknowledged the city was an area of concern as it urged residents in the city to be vigilant against the virus.

"We are supporting the council and local partners in Leicester to help prevent further transmission of the virus," the spokesman said in a statement.
"We have deployed four mobile testing sites and made thousands of home testing kits available, to ensure anyone in the area who needs a test can get one.

"NHS Test and Trace will contact anyone testing positive to help them identify their recent contacts and advise who may have been near to someone with the virus to stay at home to prevent the spread.
"We urge the people of Leicester to continue to practice social distancing, wash their hands regularly, get tested immediately if they have symptoms and follow the advice they receive if contacted by NHS Test and Trace. This advice is there to protect communities and save lives."
The Sunday Times said Leicester's rise in cases follows an outbreak in food production plants in the area and reports of large crowds gathering outside takeaway restaurants.

Copied this News report, nice knowing you Fred
The Mayor of Leicester isn’t happy but he was caught breaking lockdown rules sometime ago.
A big BAME community in Leicester , no surprise that the Melton road area is affected along with the Troon Road area , both Evington & North Evington affected also the Humberstone Road area.
I’m only 20 minutes from the outskirts of Leicester just down the A47 road , so yes it’s concerning that they have had a large outbreak.
On a summers afternoon the streets in those affected areas are usually full of people going about their business , shopping , gathering etc.
A lockdown may be needed wether the Mayor likes it or not.

·
Premium Member
14,623 Posts
No social distancing rules will apply on aircraft journeys now, so why should they apply in pubs? Basically it's becoming financially motivated now, which I always thought it would.
Makes you wonder on ballance that following voluntary distancing rules may have worked better in the long run, both for business and with regards to public health.

·
Likes this.
11,027 Posts
I think basically it allows them to call in extra resources from emergency services, calling police back in from rest days etc - to deal with the extra volume of public.

It was on our local news as we're only 30ish mins from Bournemouth and the council were saying that in the two hot days last week, they had more visitors than a normal summer bank holiday weekend. People travelling from London. Oxford, even Derby to come to the coast for a day! Absolute madness!

They issued over 600 parking fines in a single day due to people just dumping their cars wherever they liked. This almost caused an ambulance to not be able to make it to a patient that nearly died as a direct result of arseholes thinking they can block any road just to get a bit of sun.....

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts
I think basically it allows them to call in extra resources from emergency services, calling police back in from rest days etc - to deal with the extra volume of public.

It was on our local news as we're only 30ish mins from Bournemouth and the council were saying that in the two hot days last week, they had more visitors than a normal summer bank holiday weekend. People travelling from London. Oxford, even Derby to come to the coast for a day! Absolute madness!

They issued over 600 parking fines in a single day due to people just dumping their cars wherever they liked. This almost caused an ambulance to not be able to make it to a patient that nearly died as a direct result of arseholes thinking they can block any road just to get a bit of sun.....
And not forgetting the woman who took her cat to the beach after a 200 mile trip !!! from her home 🧐

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts
On the leicester lockdown.
Sir Peter Soulsby doesn’t think that the city should be singled out for a lockdown extension of another 2 weeks when other parts of the country have rising rates of this deadly Covid -19 infection.
Pubs / Restaurants would remain closed.
Sir Peter would like to know the exact area of the lockdown which hasn’t been revealed as of yet.
Regards going on holiday & sitting in a metal tube 35,000ft in the sky with a plane full load of people , i wouldn’t risk it because i don’t think it’s safe enough yet.
Washing hands , social distancing & face coverings are our 3 main defences against this virus & flying weakens those defences.
Not forgetting this virus has not gone away & people’s habits & behaviour change once in another country.
This Saturday could be quite lively when the pubs reopen , would have been safer to reopen in the midweek.
Meanwhile America look down the barrel of Covid -19 & it’s blowing a few heads off because they won’t follow the 3 basic defences against this virus , it’s against their constitutional rights to wear one of the defences (face coverings).
All well & good sticking to your principles but if it puts you 6ft under with clods of earth on top it’s not a very smart move in the grand scheme of things.
Meanwhile Trumps world gets even worse still , Iran have a issued an arrest warrant for the American president.
Did someone say Rome was burning ?

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts
Well it’s now official , Leicester is now back in strict lockdown measures due to the high rates of rising Covid-19 infections swamping the city.
Schools , non essential shops must close & cease trading immediately & the planned reopening of pubs / restaurants will be put back at least another 2 weeks.
Glad the government have acted swiftly , many other areas will watching on.
We’re now seeing what life will be really like living with Covid -19.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Does Leicester have a big Pakistani population? I read last week that three airlines had suspended flights from there because of the rampant Covid19 situation. It seems that they can hold dual nationality so they can fly from here on their Pakistan passport then return on their British passport. It said there were numerous cases of them coming back here and going straight into hospital.

I also read that Pakistan’s national carrier, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has grounded almost a third of their pilots for having fake licenses.

How can you trust a country like that?
PIA, Pakistan's national airline, has grounded a third of its pilots for having fake licenses

·
Premium Member
10,985 Posts
Does Leicester have a big Pakistani population? I read last week that three airlines had suspended flights from there because of the rampant Covid19 situation. It seems that they can hold dual nationality so they can fly from here on their Pakistan passport then return on their British passport. It said there were numerous cases of them coming back here and going straight into hospital.

I also read that Pakistan’s national carrier, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has grounded almost a third of their pilots for having fake licenses.

PIA, Pakistan's national airline, has grounded a third of its pilots for having fake licenses
How long has it took them to find that out.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
It came out during investigations into an air crash in Karachi when nearly 100 people were killed and they blamed pilot error and tower controller for shocking mistakes. The pilot put down the landing gear on approach way too early, pulled it back up then tried to land the plane without extending it again.

Also remembered the India supreme court ordering about 670,000 medical and dental students to re-take their exams because of widespread cheating. That has to be a concern with the number of them working in the NHS al though over a workdorce of over a million there’s no way to 100% verify.

Sometimes I think we’re just skiffing by disaster every day.

·
Super Moderator
26,402 Posts

Leicester is this country’s most multicultural & diverse city in the UK.
The mother in law is just inside the lockdown area at Beaumont Leys.

1301 - 1320 of 1372 Posts