Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

961 - 980 of 999 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
i’ve seen first hand the impact this is having on my 12 year old daughter. the overall psychological effect will be worse on the youngsters as a whole than covid.
sh!tty internet connection and even sh!ttier effort on the part of teaching staff to provide any sort of learning.
it’s a joke.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
i’ve seen first hand the impact this is having on my 12 year old daughter. the overall psychological effect will be worse on the youngsters as a whole than covid.
sh!tty internet connection and even sh!ttier effort on the part of teaching staff to provide any sort of learning.
it’s a joke.
It's a difficult one for sure.

My daughter turned 18 at the end of March and is currently completing a Level 2 college course with a view to doing Level 3 next year.

When lockdown started the lecturers seemed quite keen on continuing with issuing work and having meetings with all students through Teams, but as it's dragged on there seems to be less feedback coming from the teaching staff back to students. Beth is struggling with motivation, along with the rest of her class too going by what she said.

I've tried my best to keep her motivated as a lot of whether she passes this year or not will be based on lecturer/teacher assesment given that she can't now do her final written exam and final practical exam, so I've tried to explain to her that regardless of whether she thinks the teacher cares or even looks at her work, it's important she keeps on sending it in!

Must be even harder for younger kids.

On the flip side, my sister's kids both go to private school at a cost of God-knows-what a year, and they are constantly being given work still (they're aged 13 and 14), with classes still happening via Teams on their iPads and plenty of feedback/help from the teaching staff.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Yes , however a chain reaction from the left overs of brexit left us distracted somewhat.
Let me give you an alternative view of how Brexit lead to much more trouble than staying or the leaving argument could ever have caused.
A gang of us are out for walk after leaving the pub , we walk along fields as we make our way we decide on a short cut over railway lines.
Along the way an argument broke out amongst the group , some arguing for & some arguing against.
As we cross the tracks , they stop & continue arguing their points & i cross the tracks to the other side.
I suddenly remember it’s a about now that the local express train is soon to pass through , i shout to them that a train is due soon but their still going at it hammer & tongue.
The group finally split with the losers of the argument walking on , however the winners of the argument are still on the tracks celebrating their win & congratulating each other.
I shout out loudly yet again that the train is in sight but by the time they turnaround to look it’s too late , their all dead.
The losers of the argument haven’t reacted yet because their trying to work out why they lost & are blaming each other.
Now that’s how i saw Brexit & the general election , the conservatives romped home & labour couldn’t work out why they’d lost so heavily.
Now along comes Covid-19 , the government is getting on setting out it’s great plans for life after Brexit & the Labour Party start their investigations into the general election loss & begin a new leadership election.
Covid-19 steams in much quicker than anyone is bothering to pay serious attention to & boom !!!!! we are where we at today.
A lesson to be learned here is that over 3 plus years everything was Brexit related & nothing else much got a look in whilst the arguments raged over who was right & who was wrong , seems a world away now as Covid-19 brought a global pandemic to us that made Brexit look like a bit of banter amongst mates.
In December last year we had our general election , around that time Covid -19 had started it’s march towards us.
3 plus years of Brexit debates & rows which pitched friends & families against each led us to still suffer from the resulting hangover , Covid -19 took full advantage.
Agreed in the end it became all about winning the game, blikers on full speed ahead, nothing else mattered.
Logic and reasoning went straight out of the window a long time ago.

However the election was back in December 2019, so I don't see how Brexit can be blamed on their lack of action. The government had ample warning since covid-19 was declared a global pandemic on the 30th January.
They chose to ignore advice, dither and not act for nearly 2 months, so here we are still on partial lock down, I'm not sure at this point how we can move forwards and get out of this.

It's all well and good convincing people to stay at home through a mixture of science and fear, but I think there is going to be an uphill struggle convincing people it is now safe to come out to play and go back to work.

The shops I do work in are planning on opening on the 1st of June, though I'm not convinced there is going to be much business for them seeing as a big percentage of people travel into London by Train and Tube and are being advised not to use public transport. It's a bit difficult to cycle 40 odd miles from Kent!

I guess we shall just have to see how this is going to pan out.
It's all uncharted territory.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,731 Posts
My youngest lad is in Year 10, and the school has been superb, consistently throughout. He's had assignments every single school day, and the general correspondence and updates have been extremely detailed and helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,529 Posts
My brother's kids 2 of which are if Primary age, from what I've heard from brother he can't fault then, all the kids have had work from their respective school, the primary age have been given tasks to complete, staying in contact with school via internet and social media, if they need anything like paper and or paints they only had to contact the school and they would get what you need dropped off.

The latest was the 9 year old boy had to make a Roman Gladiators shield, the 7 year old girl was asked to make a wormary and today I was told she had to make cakes using gummy worms.

Then send the photos as proof to the school.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #968
Yes , however a chain reaction from the left overs of brexit left us distracted somewhat.
Let me give you an alternative view of how Brexit lead to much more trouble than staying or the leaving argument could ever have caused.
A gang of us are out for walk after leaving the pub , we walk along fields as we make our way we decide on a short cut over railway lines.
Along the way an argument broke out amongst the group , some arguing for & some arguing against.
As we cross the tracks , they stop & continue arguing their points & i cross the tracks to the other side.
I suddenly remember it’s a about now that the local express train is soon to pass through , i shout to them that a train is due soon but their still going at it hammer & tongue.
The group finally split with the losers of the argument walking on , however the winners of the argument are still on the tracks celebrating their win & congratulating each other.
I shout out loudly yet again that the train is in sight but by the time they turnaround to look it’s too late , their all dead.
The losers of the argument haven’t reacted yet because their trying to work out why they lost & are blaming each other.
Now that’s how i saw Brexit & the general election , the conservatives romped home & labour couldn’t work out why they’d lost so heavily.
Now along comes Covid-19 , the government is getting on setting out it’s great plans for life after Brexit & the Labour Party start their investigations into the general election loss & begin a new leadership election.
Covid-19 steams in much quicker than anyone is bothering to pay serious attention to & boom !!!!! we are where we at today.
A lesson to be learned here is that over 3 plus years everything was Brexit related & nothing else much got a look in whilst the arguments raged over who was right & who was wrong , seems a world away now as Covid-19 brought a global pandemic to us that made Brexit look like a bit of banter amongst mates.
In December last year we had our general election , around that time Covid -19 had started it’s march towards us.
3 plus years of Brexit debates & rows which pitched friends & families against each led us to still suffer from the resulting hangover , Covid -19 took full advantage.
We look at past events very very differently.

To me the reason Brexit took so long is that the losers where in charge of delivering Brexit. History will show Mrs Mays efforts in delaying everything. How could she have given them so much money and all our bargaining chips while clearly signalling they didnt want to leave? No wonder the EU didnt bother to negotiate properly. Look at whats happening now for example, the EU tried to make us give up our fishing waters and the current government told them to go jump and they have backed down.

If we had people in charge with the will then we could have saved billions and a lot of time.

But for those remainers I have a little word of caution, if you had your way we would be in this position and after the covid we would be asked to contribute a lot more to the EU to bail them out. That is a headache that we dont need now that we are facing an economic disaster due to spending so much money.

Brexit is about a countrys sovereignty, our right to do what we want and not to be told what to do by others.

A lot may disagree with me but I suspect we over reacted to the covid virus if we compare to other viruses and we will pay for the wrong choice for years to come.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #969
the ‘green’ parties will thrive in the next election on the huge social and environmental changes we’ve seen during covid
I would have thought people will look at the economy and wonder why vote for a party that wants this damage on the economy.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #970
There is speculation that the huge reduction in travel and therefore of fumes/NOx/CO2 particles in the air have been a contributing factor to the severity of the enormous storm that's just hit India
So we cant win either way? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
The Government credit card as taken on some big buying & now sits at £62 billion borrowed so far , with probably more to spend on it yet.
Thank the good lord for loans & borrowing , without that line of available money we’d be sank.
However just like having a family you have to eventually pay that money back , a family would just cut their spending right back to get the debt to a more serviceable level , what route the government take after all this remains to be seen.
The quarantine period for all travellers coming in to the UK will begin in July , if your a UK citizen you’ll quarantine at home for 14 days.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #972
The Government credit card as taken on some big buying & now sits at £62 billion borrowed so far , with probably more to spend on it yet.
Thank the good lord for loans & borrowing , without that line of available money we’d be sank.
However just like having a family you have to eventually pay that money back , a family would just cut their spending right back to get the debt to a more serviceable level , what route the government take after all this remains to be seen.
The quarantine period for all travellers coming in to the UK will begin in July , if your a UK citizen you’ll quarantine at home for 14 days.
Ummm I think thats a bit of a low estimate.

According to the OBR the furlough alone will cost £123 billion, which is an estimate. Thats roughly £2 billion a day. Never mind the knock on costs from closing down the economy.

To appreciate this figure in the tax year 2016 - 2017 the UK raised £182.1 billion in income tax alone (https://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn09.pdf). This was in the good times when everyone was working, so what about now when we are under lockdown?

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
The elite obviously think they have their own rules to follow.
That’s been 3 now that doesn’t think the rules they agreed to set out don’t apply to them , in fact it’s been heard that many politicians from across the board & Medical experts didn’t think we the British people would do what they all asked us to do.
Nice to know some of these experts hold such feelings about us , “ Quite surprised the peasants did what we asked , yes they can prove us wrong occasionally “

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
it’s all controlled by the chinese.
and the world can’t see it.
science and statistics are irrelevant and the sooner we all wake up and smell the coffee the sooner we can stop the rot.
the amount of death and infection per country is purely based on the amount of chinese hosts that were released into those countries to distribute the virus LAST YEAR .... plus , how much virus infected junk they import from china. using lockdown trends as the basis for all statistics is fundamentally flawed. imo

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
That’s been 3 now that doesn’t think the rules they agreed to set out don’t apply to them , in fact it’s been heard that many politicians from across the board & Medical experts didn’t think we the British people would do what they all asked us to do.
Nice to know some of these experts hold such feelings about us , “ Quite surprised the peasants did what we asked , yes they can prove us wrong occasionally “
deep down they know that their response to the hysteria from china was unnecessary , and now they are backtracking at a rate of knots.
it could well be the case that the very notion of lockdown that the chinese peddled in the first place is the cause of the high mortality rates.
lets be honest locking people in enclosed environments is far more likely to spread a virus than if they were out taking OXYGEN in to their lungs. :D

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
it’s all controlled by the chinese.
and the world can’t see it.
science and statistics are irrelevant and the sooner we all wake up and smell the coffee the sooner we can stop the rot.
the amount of death and infection per country is purely based on the amount of chinese hosts that were released into those countries to distribute the virus LAST YEAR .... plus , how much virus infected junk they import from china. using lockdown trends as the basis for all statistics is fundamentally flawed. imo
Divide & Conquer , an age old tactic.
Pitch friend against friend or in this case turn a deadly virus into a political war , each country in political turmoil playing a who’s to blame game for the deaths in each country.
Then whilst the counties internal political situation results in chaos the Chinese move in & take over as the masters of he world.

961 - 980 of 999 Posts