Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1000 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
Ryan air boss Michael O’Leary has had his claim about wearing face masks on airplanes fact checked , it appears his claims cannot be verified.
He thinks if you wear face masks when your flying that you then don’t need to quarantine on arrival back into the country.
Medical experts say that is just not correct & plainly the wrong information to give out to people.
It’s now looking like school reopening maybe delayed for a while yet after concerns from the northern areas of the uk & teachers.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Ryan air boss Michael O’Leary has had his claim about wearing face masks on airplanes fact checked , it appears his claims cannot be verified.
He thinks if you wear face masks when your flying that you then don’t need to quarantine on arrival back into the country.
Medical experts say that is just not correct & plainly the wrong information to give out to people.
It’s now looking like school reopening maybe delayed for a while yet after concerns from the northern areas of the uk & teachers.
Lots of people in high places talking out their arses's recently, seems to be the new and accepted norm filling the public minds full of bull.

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,910 Posts
I'll be keeping a close eye on that. We've been sent some information on how the schools are implementing the DfE guidelines. They're on course for opening on 1st June.

I don't mind the sprog going in. The other half does. We have some discussions ahead.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Even if Schools wanted to fully open on the first of June, It'll be impossible for them to do so due to staffing issues. Some staff are shielding etc, so when it does happen, it'll be done within a phased way. A lot of teachers & management have still worked throughout the virus, part time at school to support key workers & vulnerable children that are still attending. Other days from home, being available from 9-4.
From the current research available children have a minimal risk of being ill and passing it on to adults. It's the vulnerable kids that are most at risk, special needs schools have remained open too for key workers and vulnerable families. Schools are also trying their best to maintain social distancing, much fewer children within schools, initially.

·
Premium Member
10,529 Posts
Even if Schools wanted to fully open on the first of June, It'll be impossible for them to do so due to staffing issues. Some staff are shielding etc, so when it does happen, it'll be done within a phased way. A lot of teachers & management have still worked throughout the virus, part time at school to support key workers & vulnerable children that are still attending. Other days from home, being available from 9-4.
From the current research available children have a minimal risk of being ill and passing it on to adults. It's the vulnerable kids that are most at risk, special needs schools have remained open too for key workers and vulnerable families. Schools are also trying their best to maintain social distancing, much fewer children within schools, initially.
Brothers step daughter has Angelmans Syndrome she goes to Ormesby/Priory Woods school, she turned 18 the week that all the lockdown started, she was told she had to stay at home because she was classed a vunerable, there are 5 other kids well 4 of school age 2 at Secondary and 2 at Primary, oldest was at University but when they shut down he got a job at Tescos Eston only for 12 weeks, after his first week they asked if he wanted a permanent job there and they said they'd work his shifts around his Uni work.

Back to Ormesby/Priory Woods, she has a carer that she went to at a weekend who is actually one of her teachers at school, but she cant see her because one of the teachers tested positive for Cotomavirus.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
What I don't understand about the reasoning for opening schools again is the government's stance on how it's unfair to poor and vulnerable kids who are missing out on education.....

That's bullshit. Vulnerable kids (for example, those that have social workers etc) have always been allowed to go into school throughout the lockdown, same as children of key workers.

Also, if they're THAT bothered about poorer kids not getting their education, how about giving them a cheap laptop each and even paying for broadband if the family doesn't' have it? They could have lessons over Microsoft Teams and stay a bit more up to date. Wouldn't really be THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things would it?

I notice most of the mainstream media are trying their best to villainize the teachers because of this, oh and their "millitant" unions. You know the unions that actually give a sh*t about their members' health and well being.......

Oh, and also, they didn't seem to give a toss about poorer and vulnerable kids when they stripped the funding for youth groups and child mental health did they? It's all b*llocks.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
That's bullshit. Vulnerable kids (for example, those that have social workers etc) have always been allowed to go into school throughout the lockdown, same as children of key workers.
That's correct, which includes kids with disabilities, ones with underlying health conditions and where social services are involved with dysfunctional families etc.
You don't seem to have much recognition of this through the media etc.
I work with vulnerable adults, which have had little to no support from the government, neither have staff. Apart from receiving late some cheap PPE equipment, which I've bought my own out of my own pocket. With a lot of care workers which are effected my the Corona it's SSP for them, have to take time off after catching the virus in service on the so called "front line". Their wages have not been made up my the government. no doubt the same would apply to a lot of shop workers (food) or drivers etc.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #948
The problem with school going back is that the government has so scared the populous so badly that they dont trust going back. I dont think there is any point in sending kids back now since summer holidays are just around the corner. Just draw a line under this year and start again in September.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
The problem with school going back is that the government has so scared the populous so badly that they dont trust going back. I dont think there is any point in sending kids back now since summer holidays are just around the corner. Just draw a line under this year and start again in September.
It's not so much that the population is too scared - a lot of the "science" behind these decision has so many gaps in it - understandably so as we are dealing with an unknown virus.

But when you have so many scientists agreeing that , yes, children don't seem to be that badly affected by Covid-19, but what they don't know or fully understand yet is how easily these children can transmit the virus to adults - what that essentially boils down to is the government is prepared to take a risk of sending the kids back with no idea how badly the adults in their families will be affected should the child become infected at school.

To me, it's not worth the risk - and if you have children that you are unable to get childcare for if you are due to come off furlough etc, then you stay in furlough until September when the new school year starts and take it from there.

The only worry with that obviously is what do we do if we're in the middle of the second wave in September due to letting everyone one out of their houses and into shops, hairdressers etc etc in July. You can't deny them the education for a whole year, that would be crazy, so they need to be looking at alternatives RIGHT NOW, so they are ready. And possibly providing laptops, broadband as I said earlier could be a solution, so they get at least some form of education should the worst scenario happen at the start of the next school year.

But they won't do that. Because when it boils down to it, they really don't give a ****.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #950
It's not so much that the population is too scared - a lot of the "science" behind these decision has so many gaps in it - understandably so as we are dealing with an unknown virus.

But when you have so many scientists agreeing that , yes, children don't seem to be that badly affected by Covid-19, but what they don't know or fully understand yet is how easily these children can transmit the virus to adults - what that essentially boils down to is the government is prepared to take a risk of sending the kids back with no idea how badly the adults in their families will be affected should the child become infected at school.

To me, it's not worth the risk - and if you have children that you are unable to get childcare for if you are due to come off furlough etc, then you stay in furlough until September when the new school year starts and take it from there.

The only worry with that obviously is what do we do if we're in the middle of the second wave in September due to letting everyone one out of their houses and into shops, hairdressers etc etc in July. You can't deny them the education for a whole year, that would be crazy, so they need to be looking at alternatives RIGHT NOW, so they are ready. And possibly providing laptops, broadband as I said earlier could be a solution, so they get at least some form of education should the worst scenario happen at the start of the next school year.

But they won't do that. Because when it boils down to it, they really don't give a ****.
Well, as useless as they are I dont think they dont care, I am sure they intend to try to make things better but as their thinking is only fixed on "how to get elected in the next election" then their decision are suspect.

Home schooling isnt a bad thing . . .

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
Well, as useless as they are I dont think they dont care, I am sure they intend to try to make things better but as their thinking is only fixed on "how to get elected in the next election" then their decision are suspect.

No , what the issues about is the economy.
You can’t say to people that you can now go back into your workplace if your children are still off school , it doesn’t work for many.
The governments problem is they need to get the economy up & running so reopening schools is part of that overall plan , it’s not necessarily about education for certain age groups.
People are very confused & as a consequence are using their own judgments on many factors to do with living with Covid-19 & quite rightly no one wants to catch this deadly virus , which is the sole reason of thinking in many people’s decisions.
The governments stance however as now had to change , many people haven’t changed their stance though.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #952
No , what the issues about is the economy.
You can’t say to people that you can now go back into your workplace if your children are still off school , it doesn’t work for many.
The governments problem is they need to get the economy up & running so reopening schools is part of that overall plan , it’s not necessarily about education for certain age groups.
People are very confused & as a consequence are using their own judgments on many factors to do with living with Covid-19 & quite rightly no one wants to catch this deadly virus , which is the sole reason of thinking in many people’s decisions.
The governments stance however as now had to change , many people haven’t changed their stance though.
It is sad but I think you are right, the vast majority (by design of the state) rely on day care or child care in the form of school to allow them to work.

In general a better model would have been for a return of single earner nuclear families which would reduce the work force, in return would increase the demand and increase pay. But that is not how things are now, which is a shame in my opinion.

You are right people are confused. There doesnt seem to be a unified single voice from the state on how to approach this. I for one think slowly but surely my position is being vindicated (that the Swedish model is the way to go) but the vast majority seem to follow the official advice, in good faith I am sure.

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
It is sad but I think you are right, the vast majority (by design of the state) rely on day care or child care in the form of school to allow them to work.

In general a better model would have been for a return of single earner nuclear families which would reduce the work force, in return would increase the demand and increase pay. But that is not how things are now, which is a shame in my opinion.

You are right people are confused. There doesnt seem to be a unified single voice from the state on how to approach this. I for one think slowly but surely my position is being vindicated (that the Swedish model is the way to go) but the vast majority seem to follow the official advice, in good faith I am sure.
Our taxi office is one example of the confusion around how to get back to work.
At the moment it’s very quiet so the office is closed & many of the staff furloughed.
The boss , the office manager & 1 radio operator all run the business from their homes at present.
Now if things change & it gets busy enough to warrant opening up the taxi office again , then the company runs into problems.
They cannot safely social distance in the main computerised data dispatch call room.
They cannot comply with many of the governments guide lines for health & safety of the office employees.
So until things change the office remains closed.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,731 Posts
An interesting read.......

"For parents who have a decision to make about sending children back to school on 1st June, I've been in NEU national union meetings and want to share some info to help you make a more informed decision:

The UK government keep justifying their decision to reopen schools by saying they are mirroring Denmark who have successfully reopened schools, and directed the unions to find out how it has been achieved safely, so we did and this is what we found:

• Denmark reopened schools when it had significantly lower infection and death rates.
Denmark 95 deaths per 1 million of the population
UK 513 deaths per 1 million of the population.

• Social distancing in Denmark schools was strictly 2 metres. Department for Education guidance in the UK doesnt actually insist on social distancing, it just says 'maintain social distancing where possible'.

• In Denmark students are in groups of 5 outside and groups of 3 in classrooms. Department for Education guidance in the UK suggests splitting classes in half, meaning potentially 15 students together in a group.

• The government in Denmark gave schools extra money to buy more sinks and cleaning products to maintain the highest levels of hygiene. UK government has given schools no extra funding to improve hygiene.

• Unlike the UK, Denmark didn't leave individual headteachers to decide if their schools were safe to reopen, instead local authority health and safety experts had to approve and sign off individual schools plans to reopen before they could allow students back in.

With 34,796 deaths the UK should not be mirroring Denmark who have only suffered a total of 548 deaths. The closest comparisons we have in Europe are Spain and Italy, where schools are remaining closed until September".

·
Premium Member
10,529 Posts

Think back to the last time the country/world was in a similar situation World War 2, who was our Prime Minister, who in History has been praised for his actions, but after the war and at the first election the British public decided they didn't want him anymore and what party did he represent.

Winston Churchill.........Conservative

Could history repeat itself.

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
So have the government made mistakes ?
In short yes they have , had to abandon testing early doors due to lack of supplies & kit.
Testing & tracing is only of use when the infection rates are low , test early when low & keep the rates low & testing & tracing works.
Couple that with a hard early lockdown & your going to get a lower infections & less deaths.
Blame Brexit for our our laboured response , 3 years of nothing but Brexit meant we never really seriously took on board the reality of this Covid -19 pandemic.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #958
So have the government made mistakes ?
In short yes they have , had to abandon testing early doors due to lack of supplies & kit.
Testing & tracing is only of use when the infection rates are low , test early when low & keep the rates low & testing & tracing works.
Couple that with a hard early lockdown & your going to get a lower infections & less deaths.
Blame Brexit for our our laboured response , 3 years of nothing but Brexit meant we never really seriously took on board the reality of this Covid -19 pandemic.
Brexit?:rolleyes:

I think that is a different cattle of fish. . .

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #959
Think back to the last time the country/world was in a similar situation World War 2, who was our Prime Minister, who in History has been praised for his actions, but after the war and at the first election the British public decided they didn't want him anymore and what party did he represent.

Winston Churchill.........Conservative

Could history repeat itself.
Yes but those days the tories and labor actually believed in different things. The main problem we have is that those two have to be physically restrained from embracing each other. If you look at what they propose and do it doesnt really matter who is in power, they both end up doing the same thing.

I wish the next election both could do so badly we have two parties that actually believe in something different and then battle it out.

Even if it was ukip vs communist party or something, at least then we would have two that actually disagree. . . then again ukip is finished but hopefully you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
Brexit?:rolleyes:

I think that is a different cattle of fish. . .
Yes , however a chain reaction from the left overs of brexit left us distracted somewhat.
Let me give you an alternative view of how Brexit lead to much more trouble than staying or the leaving argument could ever have caused.
A gang of us are out for walk after leaving the pub , we walk along fields as we make our way we decide on a short cut over railway lines.
Along the way an argument broke out amongst the group , some arguing for & some arguing against.
As we cross the tracks , they stop & continue arguing their points & i cross the tracks to the other side.
I suddenly remember it’s a about now that the local express train is soon to pass through , i shout to them that a train is due soon but their still going at it hammer & tongue.
The group finally split with the losers of the argument walking on , however the winners of the argument are still on the tracks celebrating their win & congratulating each other.
I shout out loudly yet again that the train is in sight but by the time they turnaround to look it’s too late , their all dead.
The losers of the argument haven’t reacted yet because their trying to work out why they lost & are blaming each other.
Now that’s how i saw Brexit & the general election , the conservatives romped home & labour couldn’t work out why they’d lost so heavily.
Now along comes Covid-19 , the government is getting on setting out it’s great plans for life after Brexit & the Labour Party start their investigations into the general election loss & begin a new leadership election.
Covid-19 steams in much quicker than anyone is bothering to pay serious attention to & boom !!!!! we are where we at today.
A lesson to be learned here is that over 3 plus years everything was Brexit related & nothing else much got a look in whilst the arguments raged over who was right & who was wrong , seems a world away now as Covid-19 brought a global pandemic to us that made Brexit look like a bit of banter amongst mates.
In December last year we had our general election , around that time Covid -19 had started it’s march towards us.
3 plus years of Brexit debates & rows which pitched friends & families against each led us to still suffer from the resulting hangover , Covid -19 took full advantage.

941 - 960 of 1000 Posts