Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

61 - 80 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not defending the Chinese here, and I have no idea if what I'm saying is correct. That's the disclaimers out of the way :LOL:

But aren't we as a species always going to be at risk of viruses (sp? virii ?) jumping species when we eat other species?

I know it's less likely when we have a regulated food chain as we do mostly in the developed world, but swine flu obviously originated in pigs and jumped to humans.

I'm kind of aware that you don't have to eat the infected animal for it to transmit the disease, but whilst we keep them for food surely we are always going to be more exposed to this type of cross-species infection?

(and no I'm not going to stop eating bacon......)
Yes Steve, your'e right in saying trhat we are always at risk and that goes for everything in life. I wasn't advocating vegetarianism either. But wouldn't it be expected of any previous disaster that those responsible for the area that it was started from give us a plan of action. The risk would be very much lowered if these wet markets were cleaned up and made to adhere to food hygiene standards normal in many parts of the world. It would also be welcomed if the Chinese just questioned their dietary preferences.

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
Yes Steve, your'e right in saying trhat we are always at risk and that goes for everything in life. I wasn't advocating vegetarianism either. But wouldn't it be expected of any previous disaster that those responsible for the area that it was started from give us a plan of action. The risk would be very much lowered if these wet markets were cleaned up and made to adhere to food hygiene standards normal in many parts of the world. It would also be welcomed if the Chinese just questioned their dietary preferences.
Yes I do agree with what you're saying.

I read something a while ago when all this was kicking off and I can't find it now, but it went along these lines (and bear in mind this was before the pandemic went ballistic like it has).....

Although the quality of food is worse in the "poorer" countries than that of the developed West, the inhabitants of these countries know this and often practice better hygiene than the West does with regard to washing food and washing hands more often.

It made me think about whether this is partly what causes the term "delhi belly" when you end up sick on holiday in places like India? Maybe we can all learn something from this moving forward and continue to wash our hands more often, maybe less of us will end up with these odd "24hour" bugs we often get?

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
This is part of the problem when considering a full lock down, if we do there is a real possibility that it will wipe out majority of businesses especially small business and you will have a small amount of big business running the show and guess what will happen to prices of everything when we have non existent jobs to get a salary from. . . Its a very fine balancing act, which is why these restrictions should not stay on for too long in my opinion.
An expert on this virus says unless we carry out a full lock down , this partial lock down could go on for much longer as we won’t be cutting off the viruses food supply ( us humans )

·
Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
695 Posts
Mines due in may too,the 20th so will that change on the .gov website to October,found out yesterday were off as of Friday so today sorted my tyres and tracking as I don’t know how long we’re shut for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
An expert on this virus says unless we carry out a full lock down , this partial lock down could go on for much longer as we won’t be cutting off the viruses food supply ( us humans )
Yep, it's common sense. Without humans to infect, the virus dies as soon as the last person on earth that is infected recovers.

Not quite as easy to put into practice though I guess.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Yep, it's common sense. Without humans to infect, the virus dies as soon as the last person on earth that is infected recovers.

Not quite as easy to put into practice though I guess.
More worryingly he reckons the virus will be back with a vengeance in the winter , going from west to east & then back again for a 3rd time east to west again.
I hope this doctor from the lancet is wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,732 Posts
More worryingly he reckons the virus will be back with a vengeance in the winter , going from west to east & then back again for a 3rd time east to west again.
All we can do is slow the spread, we will not stop it. It's going to be around for a long time to come. I'm guessing social restrictions/partial lock down may last for 6 month. One good thing I've just found out from my boss, I should get my wages made up to 80% of my average, prior to the virus. That's if I need a wages boost by the end of it.

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
I always take stories by these people with a pinch of salt, are they wanting their 15 minutes of fame by sensationalizing a piece of news, see if he comes out at the end of the year and says "I told you so"

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
German graffiti art of a toilet roll, apparently Mein Schatx means My Precious.
All you younger guys, how you gonna explain to your grandkids that people were panick buying these things in the 21st century?
View attachment 91160
You are right, we look back at previous generations in horror for sending children down chimneys, our great grandchildren will look back at us and say what exactly did we do when we where so rich?

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Took the wife into the arena yesterday to get some computer bits & bobs to make working from home easier ( she needed 2 screens & another keyboard )
We rang ahead to met on site by the security staff , once inside the arena complex ( bars , restaurants , exhibition halls etc ) it was dark with only emergency lighting on & not a soul in sight , very eerie indeed.
We got the main office hall ( usually 120 staff work at desks ) where the wife runs the finance & accounting department to be met the IT guy who is maintaining the arenas complex computer system & the general building’s maintenance manager.
A very strange feeling to be in a sports stadium that’s usually full of life with hundreds of workers usually in & tens of thousands of people attending matches & gigs etc.
98% of the workforce is off until further notice only the directors , the owner & the wife left to run the business.
I always say it’s , “ people who bring a vast building to life & give it it’s personality “
Yesterday reinforced that opinion.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Exactly right, but at the same time China has become rich by refusing modern health and safety standards which is why they can afford to pay their staff next to nothing for doing a days work. Also ethics is non existent there.

Immagine this, my sister studied medicine in China years ago and ethics was OPTIONAL at university. . . Can you believe that, for doctors they dont care about what people should or shouldnt do on humanitarian grounds. . . Its quite incredible. . .

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yes I do agree with what you're saying.

I read something a while ago when all this was kicking off and I can't find it now, but it went along these lines (and bear in mind this was before the pandemic went ballistic like it has).....

Although the quality of food is worse in the "poorer" countries than that of the developed West, the inhabitants of these countries know this and often practice better hygiene than the West does with regard to washing food and washing hands more often.

It made me think about whether this is partly what causes the term "delhi belly" when you end up sick on holiday in places like India? Maybe we can all learn something from this moving forward and continue to wash our hands more often, maybe less of us will end up with these odd "24hour" bugs we often get?
There is some truth to that, but our lifestyle in the west is not exactly conducive to our health. Just thinking in general about sleep and I dont think we have enough. We are constantly busy. I once drove through london at 2am because roads everywhere where blocked on my way home and I couldnt believe how busy life was at funny o'clock. . .

Thats part of the reason we moved to the sticks, we felt would be better for the kids and life just moves too fast in the cities. . .

61 - 80 of 282 Posts