Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 60 of 245 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Take Tim Martin (wetherspoons owner) as a classic example. 40,000 staff laid off on March 22nd (I think that was the date, can't remember) with no pay until he receives his grant from the government.

He suggested in a video to his staff that they go to Tesco as they're looking for 20,000 temporary staff.

Richard Branson, who has a net worth of £4,1,000,000, lays off staff with no pay.....

If (in general) the British public weren't so spineless and fickle, we could crush these arseholes once the covid restrictions are lifted by boycotting their companies. But it'll all be forgotten once we can start going on holiday and back down the pub. We'll be throwing our money at them again, sadly.

For the record, I avoid spoons as much as I can as it's not my thing any more. I am happy to pay an extra £2 a pint and drink somewhere with a better class of clientele whenever I do go out :)
there should be a bigger thumb up option for ‘very like’

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Take Tim Martin (wetherspoons owner) as a classic example. 40,000 staff laid off on March 22nd (I think that was the date, can't remember) with no pay until he receives his grant from the government.

He suggested in a video to his staff that they go to Tesco as they're looking for 20,000 temporary staff.

Richard Branson, who has a net worth of £4,1,000,000, lays off staff with no pay.....

If (in general) the British public weren't so spineless and fickle, we could crush these arseholes once the covid restrictions are lifted by boycotting their companies. But it'll all be forgotten once we can start going on holiday and back down the pub. We'll be throwing our money at them again, sadly.

For the record, I avoid spoons as much as I can as it's not my thing any more. I am happy to pay an extra £2 a pint and drink somewhere with a better class of clientele whenever I do go out :)
there should be a bigger thumb up option for ‘very like’
Just for you Billy! :ROFLMAO:
Tim Martin sums up the typical Brexit supporter, a selfish fcuk who only cares about themselves!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just having a look at the VX webpage after a few days off as I do look at other sites. How did Corona Virus lock down end up including Allo Allo, North South divide, fox hunting and God created man in his own image? I have a Corona question which is more relevant to this thread and it's puzzling me. When there has been a disaster such as a tower block going up in flames, nuclear power station collapse or a chemical plant bow out, there is an investigation which includes How did it happen and what needs to be done to stop it happening again? All I'm hearing about this crisis disaster is how to control its spread and hoping that a vaccine or warmer climate will help. But what about the stopping it again bit? I have heard nothing from the Chinese leadership about sorting their markets out and plans to introduce proper health standards which are inspected as are ours. Also nothing about the Chinese changing their dietary habits which includes eating monkeys, bats, bat eating snakes which allows these new virus's to jump species. Nor have I heard any of our leaders or the UN/WHO asking China about any plans

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
MOTs on my bike and my car are due in July. Obviously the Bike's not important anyway as it's not essential. plus it's still in bits in the garage anyway :LOL:

But, if the garages are open again by then and restrictions even partially lifted, I'll still get my car MOT done in July when it's due, or as soon as possible after restrictions are lifted if they're still in place in July.

Might as well. I've budgeted for car work anyway so it's not like I don't have the money (we always put a bit away each month for future car repairs/servicing :) )
Same here, easier to put a little away a month than finding the money in one hit if they recommend you change stuff...

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Theres plenty of money in the pot to get us through this crisis, even with giving every human that is not working in the uk basic salary so they can provide for themselves, and I mean everyone! The problem is getting this money out of the big corporations and billionaires that are scattered around the world, and putting it in the hands of these people that need it right now, especially the scumbags, these are the people we really need to pay to stay at home!

I'm still doing call outs for other essential workers and a handful of isolaters when I can, gonna do my bit and keep as many essentials on the road as I can. Done a few hospital car parks and seen a few heads on steering wheels in the morning, seeing determition in them all more then fear though which is inspiring..hats off to you all!

liniancey on the MOT test will help out massively now atleast(although I think we all seen that coming) going to be alot of folk needing mots all at the same time in the coming future though!
I am not so sure but I promised to be on good behaviour so will leave it at that. . .

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I dont know if people read about China, they have now lifted their version of lock down and say all is on the way up. Official figures suggest around 6k cases but apparently there are 21 million Chinese that have not reviewed their mobile phone contracts which sounds really fishy. . . Then again I am not too trusting of them. . .

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok stop the presses, I just read the government is considering to close the borders ans and stop in bound flights. How can you have a lock down if the borders are still open? I thought it was closed as well except for vital supplies?

:oops:

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
Just having a look at the VX webpage after a few days off as I do look at other sites. How did Corona Virus lock down end up including Allo Allo, North South divide, fox hunting and God created man in his own image? I have a Corona question which is more relevant to this thread and it's puzzling me. When there has been a disaster such as a tower block going up in flames, nuclear power station collapse or a chemical plant bow out, there is an investigation which includes How did it happen and what needs to be done to stop it happening again? All I'm hearing about this crisis disaster is how to control its spread and hoping that a vaccine or warmer climate will help. But what about the stopping it again bit? I have heard nothing from the Chinese leadership about sorting their markets out and plans to introduce proper health standards which are inspected as are ours. Also nothing about the Chinese changing their dietary habits which includes eating monkeys, bats, bat eating snakes which allows these new virus's to jump species. Nor have I heard any of our leaders or the UN/WHO asking China about any plans
I'm not defending the Chinese here, and I have no idea if what I'm saying is correct. That's the disclaimers out of the way :LOL:

But aren't we as a species always going to be at risk of viruses (sp? virii ?) jumping species when we eat other species?

I know it's less likely when we have a regulated food chain as we do mostly in the developed world, but swine flu obviously originated in pigs and jumped to humans.

I'm kind of aware that you don't have to eat the infected animal for it to transmit the disease, but whilst we keep them for food surely we are always going to be more exposed to this type of cross-species infection?

(and no I'm not going to stop eating bacon......)

·
Rascal
11,940 Posts
Ok stop the presses, I just read the government is considering to close the borders ans and stop in bound flights. How can you have a lock down if the borders are still open? I thought it was closed as well except for vital supplies?

Still open for repatriation mostly, and for what is still deemed "essential travel" which will have a definition somewhere or other that probably doesn't mean travelling to Lanzarote for your holiday but might mean travel for medical, diplomatic or humanitarian needs. Some of my wife's family have not yet been able to make it home to the UK from New Zealand because flights have been full, cancelled and then full again, they won't be the only people who travelled out before the crisis started and found themselves a bit stuck. Sure, there are worse places to be stuck, but they'll need to get home somehow!

·
Super Moderator
25,792 Posts

This is not a full lock down , you can still go shopping for food , fill your car up with fuel , certain children can still go to school etc etc.
In the event of a full lock down you’d be needing to carry documents stating why your allowed out & about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally I think they should have **** the country down for about a month to begin with, if I were a small buisness owner I’d rather have no customers for a month, wouldn’t be happy but I’d know the outcome, rather than reduced customers for weeks and week and then be told we will have to close for the foreseeable future. The fact of the matter is the virus ain’t spreading, people are spreading the virus, so the longer we stayed open to begin with eventually effected how many people got the virus and in turn effects us a lot more that it could have being locked down to begin with. and now down to the point where we have ‘closed down’ and no one knows what’s yet to come. I get the economy would have took a hit doing it for a month at the beginning but personally think it will take more of a hit now we are on our knees. Prices will rise as the demand rises, less shops to sell goods so less competition, transport of goods will rise, road tax will more than likely inflate as will fuel and oil prices, all to overcompensate the loss through NHS and income taxes from smaller businesses and the fact universal credit will be paying out 10000s more next year than it did last year. Or we could just do it this way and selfish big fish companies staying open to squeeze every penny out of the public all whilst putting their workers and families at risk by getting in and out of customers cars all day to fit non essential bulbs and topping up pressures in the vehicles of ignorant people who would rather cough all over me than spend 20p at the local shell fuel station to do it themselves. Essential journeys only........ 😤

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
I hope it doesn't get to a full lockdown otherwise I'll be bouncing of the walls. I go out every other day for an hours walk in the fresh air and sunshine, pick up a few odds and ends at my local shop in passing. Need to go and collect a prescription from the local pharmacy tomorrow. There are a few people about as it's very quiet but the vast majority are behaving sensibly and keeping a safe distance.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
This is not a full lock down , you can still go shopping for food , fill your car up with fuel , certain children can still go to school etc etc.
In the event of a full lock down you’d be needing to carry documents stating why your allowed out & about.
Like east Germany. . . Thats a scary thought

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Personally I think they should have **** the country down for about a month to begin with, if I were a small buisness owner I’d rather have no customers for a month, wouldn’t be happy but I’d know the outcome, rather than reduced customers for weeks and week and then be told we will have to close for the foreseeable future. The fact of the matter is the virus ain’t spreading, people are spreading the virus, so the longer we stayed open to begin with eventually effected how many people got the virus and in turn effects us a lot more that it could have being locked down to begin with. and now down to the point where we have ‘closed down’ and no one knows what’s yet to come. I get the economy would have took a hit doing it for a month at the beginning but personally think it will take more of a hit now we are on our knees. Prices will rise as the demand rises, less shops to sell goods so less competition, transport of goods will rise, road tax will more than likely inflate as will fuel and oil prices, all to overcompensate the loss through NHS and income taxes from smaller businesses and the fact universal credit will be paying out 10000s more next year than it did last year. Or we could just do it this way and selfish big fish companies staying open to squeeze every penny out of the public all whilst putting their workers and families at risk by getting in and out of customers cars all day to fit non essential bulbs and topping up pressures in the vehicles of ignorant people who would rather cough all over me than spend 20p at the local shell fuel station to do it themselves. Essential journeys only........ 😤
This is part of the problem when considering a full lock down, if we do there is a real possibility that it will wipe out majority of businesses especially small business and you will have a small amount of big business running the show and guess what will happen to prices of everything when we have non existent jobs to get a salary from. . . Its a very fine balancing act, which is why these restrictions should not stay on for too long in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Just spoke to someone whom has just been to our local hospital (James Cook), said all the wards are clean, empty, with beds all ready.
My work hours have been reduced by around 50% now due to me mainly working nights now, I have no idea if I'll be able to claim any lost hours back from the government? Although if we lose anymore staff, my hours would increase. Unless I have to self isolate too.

41 - 60 of 245 Posts