Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 282 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Mate just sent me a photo of a letter he was handed at work today, it says To who it may concern, blah blah blah he is a key worker and so is allowed outside, he works for ISOTank and he is a welder, he repairs the tankers that transport liquids.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Over the course of just one month, you're looking at a cost of over £240 Billion!!!

(that's working on a price I found of £120 per test and I have no idea if that's reliable. Sounds a bit cheap to me given the cost to get the test to each person, the cost to get it back to a lab, the cost to process the swab, the cost to distribute the results).
This is not my field and I dont have a clue but £120 sounds excessive for a test. . .

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
This is not my field and I dont have a clue but £120 sounds excessive for a test. . .
You could be right, I have no clue either. I support IT applications for a food manufacturer, I have no medical knowledge whatsoever!

It would never happen in a proper democracy, but honestly, if we had just shut the whole country down completely for three weeks, the virus would be dead. I know it's unworkable in reality, but without a vaccine it is the only real way to eradicate it with minimal deaths.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Sadly the the wife has lost 9 of her office staff , only the wife left standing after today.
She tried to save one colleague but the owner said no , many people in tears on the meeting phone call when the names were read out.
They will of course go onto the government pay scheme until further notice but that will be a massive pay cut for some.
The wife has now got to close down all the accounts on her & close off the bank accounts once all the refunds are paid back to the numerous clients.
The wife’s now on a 4 day week with a 20% pay cut until further notice.
What was a big £16 million a year contract is now at this moment down to nothing.
The staff are hoping to come back to work in July after this virus as been wiped out.
It’s now more imperative than ever that we follow the governments advice & stay home , we must starve this virus of people to infect.
The quicker we beat this virus the quicker we can get back to some normality , it may take some time though after the dust has settled.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
people are up to their necks in commitments and debt. coronavirus probably seems like the lesser of two evils . get on the tube shoulder to shoulder and risk infecting themselves or someone else or don’t pay the bills.
pitiful.
It shows just how heavily in debt we are as a nation. I have long said that the 2008 crash hasnt really ended or we havent really recovered from it properly, the government borrowed a lot of money and masked the problem which makes me fear just how big the next one will be. . .

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You could be right, I have no clue either. I support IT applications for a food manufacturer, I have no medical knowledge whatsoever!

It would never happen in a proper democracy, but honestly, if we had just shut the whole country down completely for three weeks, the virus would be dead. I know it's unworkable in reality, but without a vaccine it is the only real way to eradicate it with minimal deaths.
Dont worry I am in the construction industry and dont know this stuff. We have just formed the VXON think tank, where we speculate what we can do, write a report and then charge the government millions for ambiguous advice which leave us of the hook either way. (y)

·
Rascal
11,946 Posts
People
Not excessive at all for what it is and what is actually involved in processing the test in a reliable and repeatable fashion. The cost isn’t just for the bits of equipment that are the test kit, but for the laboratory time and equipment and the staff to run the test

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Over the course of just one month, you're looking at a cost of over £240 Billion!!!

(that's working on a price I found of £120 per test and I have no idea if that's reliable. Sounds a bit cheap to me given the cost to get the test to each person, the cost to get it back to a lab, the cost to process the swab, the cost to distribute the results).
I seen a report on TV were they were talking to some Lab tech's and one said the tests will be £10 each

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
It shows just how heavily in debt we are as a nation. I have long said that the 2008 crash hasnt really ended or we havent really recovered from it properly, the government borrowed a lot of money and masked the problem which makes me fear just how big the next one will be. . .
The next is heading to be Global not just National

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Interesting discussion with a german professor on the subject that shows that in terms of the numbers maybe we are going down the wrong path, I lifted this from peter hitches blog

The transcript is below .
Those who wish to watch the German original with English subtitles may do so here:
(NB Interview dates form 18th March so please note one of the figures he gives for deaths in Germany is now out of date. It is not mistaken).

Q: Today we will talk about the Corona Virus. This virus spreads fear over the whole world. Also in Germany, a state of emergency imposes extreme restrictions. What are Corona viruses?
Prof Bhakdi : “These viruses coexist with humans and animals around the globe. They are the cause of very common minor diseases of the respiratory tract. Very often, infections remain subclinical without symptoms. Severe courses occur almost exclusively in elderly patients with other underlying illnesses, in particular of lung and heart.
“Now however a new member is on stage spreading fear around the world.
Why?
“The new COVID-19 originated in China and spread rapidly. It appeared to be accompanied by an unexpectedly high number of deaths. Alarming reports
followed from Northern Italy that concurred with the Chinese experience.
It must however be pointed out that the large majority of other outbreaks in other parts of the world appeared to display lower apparent mortality rates, and such high numbers of 4%, 5% or 6% were not reached. For example in South Korea the apparent mortality rate was 1%.”
Q: Why do you say “apparent” mortality rate?
Prof Bhakdi : “When patients concurrently have other illnesses, an infectious agent must not be held solely responsible for a lethal outcome. This happens for COVID- 19 but such a conclusion is false and gives rise to the danger that other important factors are overlooked. Different mortality rates may well be due to
different local situations. For example, what does Northern Italy have in common with China? Answer:
Horrific air pollution, the highest in the world. Northern Italy is the China of Europe. The lungs of inhabitants there have been chronically injured over decades. And for this simple reason the situation may not be comparable to elsewhere.”
Q: What about Germany?
Prof Bhakdi : “The virus has also spread to us. It is spreading in Germany. One most important consequence being that we now have sufficient data to gauge the true
nature of the virus in our country.The highest alert level has been proclaimed and extreme preventive measures
have been installed in the desperate attempt to retard spread of the virus.
“Yes and this is the incredible tragedy. Because all these adopted measures are
actually senseless.
“Namely, the pressing questions are answered.
“The first one: Does the virus generally cause more serious illness in young people and kill patients who have no concurring illness? This would make
them different from other everyday Corona viruses of the world. The answer is clearly: NO.
“We have 10,000 infections reported (18th March 2020). 99.5% have no or only mild symptoms. Here we already see that it is false and dangerous to talk about 10,000 “patients”. They are not seriously ill. ‘Infection’ is not identical with ‘disease’ Of the 10,000 infected people, only 50-60 were severely ill. And 30 died to the
present day. “So we have an apparent mortality rate of 1 COVID-19 positive case per day. Up to now.
“The looming worst case scenario that must be prevented according to the authorities is that we would have 1 million cases and maybe 3,000 deaths in 100
days. This would mean 30 deaths a day.”
Q: The aim is to prevent this “worst case scenario” ? All current emergency measures aim to slow down virus spread to save lives.
Prof Bhakdi: “Yes. But we are looking already at the worst case scenario – with 30 deaths a day. 30 deaths a day may sound like very much. Keep in mind that
every day, 2,200 over 65 year olds depart from us, here in Germany. How many are not known, so let us just assume 1% (which is surely too low). “This would translate to 22 a day. And these die every day. The only difference is that we do not talk about “Corona-deaths” Because we know that these viruses are normally not the major cause of death.
So what we are doing in the moment is to prevent these these 22 being replaced by 30 COVID-19 positive
patients. This is what is happening.
We are afraid that 1,000,000 infections with the new virus will lead to 30 deaths a day over the next 100 days.
But we do not realise that 20, 30 or 40 or 100 patients positive for normal Corona viruses are already dying every day.
“To avoid CO|VID-19 entering the scene instead of the other Corona viruses, extreme measures are installed.’
Q: So what do you think about them?
Prof Bhakdi :: “They are grotesque, absurd and very dangerous.
“Our elderly citizens have every right to make efforts not to belong to the 2200 who daily embark on their last journey. Social contacts and social events, theatre and music, travel and holiday recreation, sports and hobbies , etc, etc, all help to prolong their stay on earth.
The life expectancy of millions is being shortened.
The horrifying impact on world economy threatens the existence of countless people. The consequences on medical care are profound. Already services to
patients who are in need are reduced, operations cancelled, practices empty, hospital personnel dwindling.
All this will impact profoundly on our whole society.
I can only say that all these measures are leading to self-destruction and collective suicide because of nothing but a spook.”
(A note on the YouTube translation: No comments have been altered in either the spirit or meaning of the language.
Where sentences have been altered in the translation, this is a common requirement for German to English translations. This is due to German having a far larger and wider vocabulary than English, so these minor alterations are normal so as to be able to simplify sentences to make them comfortably understandable in the English language.
The only fault in the translation is that the following important point (for the UK) has been left out (probably due to closed captions timing in the subtitling - a common problem with YouTube subtitles). This point is that the apparent mortality rate in England is 0.3% (at 1:39 to 1:43 in the video).

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Interesting discussion with a german professor on the subject that shows that in terms of the numbers maybe we are going down the wrong path, I lifted this from peter hitches blog

The transcript is below .
Those who wish to watch the German original with English subtitles may do so here:
(NB Interview dates form 18th March so please note one of the figures he gives for deaths in Germany is now out of date. It is not mistaken).

Q: Today we will talk about the Corona Virus. This virus spreads fear over the whole world. Also in Germany, a state of emergency imposes extreme restrictions. What are Corona viruses?
Prof Bhakdi : “These viruses coexist with humans and animals around the globe. They are the cause of very common minor diseases of the respiratory tract. Very often, infections remain subclinical without symptoms. Severe courses occur almost exclusively in elderly patients with other underlying illnesses, in particular of lung and heart.
“Now however a new member is on stage spreading fear around the world.
Why?
“The new COVID-19 originated in China and spread rapidly. It appeared to be accompanied by an unexpectedly high number of deaths. Alarming reports
followed from Northern Italy that concurred with the Chinese experience.
It must however be pointed out that the large majority of other outbreaks in other parts of the world appeared to display lower apparent mortality rates, and such high numbers of 4%, 5% or 6% were not reached. For example in South Korea the apparent mortality rate was 1%.”
Q: Why do you say “apparent” mortality rate?
Prof Bhakdi : “When patients concurrently have other illnesses, an infectious agent must not be held solely responsible for a lethal outcome. This happens for COVID- 19 but such a conclusion is false and gives rise to the danger that other important factors are overlooked. Different mortality rates may well be due to
different local situations. For example, what does Northern Italy have in common with China? Answer:
Horrific air pollution, the highest in the world. Northern Italy is the China of Europe. The lungs of inhabitants there have been chronically injured over decades. And for this simple reason the situation may not be comparable to elsewhere.”
Q: What about Germany?
Prof Bhakdi : “The virus has also spread to us. It is spreading in Germany. One most important consequence being that we now have sufficient data to gauge the true
nature of the virus in our country.The highest alert level has been proclaimed and extreme preventive measures
have been installed in the desperate attempt to retard spread of the virus.
“Yes and this is the incredible tragedy. Because all these adopted measures are
actually senseless.
“Namely, the pressing questions are answered.
“The first one: Does the virus generally cause more serious illness in young people and kill patients who have no concurring illness? This would make
them different from other everyday Corona viruses of the world. The answer is clearly: NO.
“We have 10,000 infections reported (18th March 2020). 99.5% have no or only mild symptoms. Here we already see that it is false and dangerous to talk about 10,000 “patients”. They are not seriously ill. ‘Infection’ is not identical with ‘disease’ Of the 10,000 infected people, only 50-60 were severely ill. And 30 died to the
present day. “So we have an apparent mortality rate of 1 COVID-19 positive case per day. Up to now.
“The looming worst case scenario that must be prevented according to the authorities is that we would have 1 million cases and maybe 3,000 deaths in 100
days. This would mean 30 deaths a day.”
Q: The aim is to prevent this “worst case scenario” ? All current emergency measures aim to slow down virus spread to save lives.
Prof Bhakdi: “Yes. But we are looking already at the worst case scenario – with 30 deaths a day. 30 deaths a day may sound like very much. Keep in mind that
every day, 2,200 over 65 year olds depart from us, here in Germany. How many are not known, so let us just assume 1% (which is surely too low). “This would translate to 22 a day. And these die every day. The only difference is that we do not talk about “Corona-deaths” Because we know that these viruses are normally not the major cause of death.
So what we are doing in the moment is to prevent these these 22 being replaced by 30 COVID-19 positive
patients. This is what is happening.
We are afraid that 1,000,000 infections with the new virus will lead to 30 deaths a day over the next 100 days.
But we do not realise that 20, 30 or 40 or 100 patients positive for normal Corona viruses are already dying every day.
“To avoid CO|VID-19 entering the scene instead of the other Corona viruses, extreme measures are installed.’
Q: So what do you think about them?
Prof Bhakdi :: “They are grotesque, absurd and very dangerous.
“Our elderly citizens have every right to make efforts not to belong to the 2200 who daily embark on their last journey. Social contacts and social events, theatre and music, travel and holiday recreation, sports and hobbies , etc, etc, all help to prolong their stay on earth.
The life expectancy of millions is being shortened.
The horrifying impact on world economy threatens the existence of countless people. The consequences on medical care are profound. Already services to
patients who are in need are reduced, operations cancelled, practices empty, hospital personnel dwindling.
All this will impact profoundly on our whole society.
I can only say that all these measures are leading to self-destruction and collective suicide because of nothing but a spook.”
(A note on the YouTube translation: No comments have been altered in either the spirit or meaning of the language.
Where sentences have been altered in the translation, this is a common requirement for German to English translations. This is due to German having a far larger and wider vocabulary than English, so these minor alterations are normal so as to be able to simplify sentences to make them comfortably understandable in the English language.
The only fault in the translation is that the following important point (for the UK) has been left out (probably due to closed captions timing in the subtitling - a common problem with YouTube subtitles). This point is that the apparent mortality rate in England is 0.3% (at 1:39 to 1:43 in the video).
That man is seriously deluded , this is why i only stick to the advice given by other countries around the world.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
people are up to their necks in commitments and debt. coronavirus probably seems like the lesser of two evils . get on the tube shoulder to shoulder and risk infecting themselves or someone else or don’t pay the bills.
pitiful.
One of the big issues facing us all is that no country as an Exit Strategy in place for how we kill of this virus permanently.
A vaccine is best route to go down but that could take 18 months & in the meantime the virus can keep on coming back.
We may have to live differently for some time to come.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Anyway’s moving on from country pursuits & back to the partial lockdown I’ve just received an email from the council’s licensing department.
From March the 30th onwards all vehicles are now MOT exempt for a period of 6 months from the date of your annual expiry date of MOT.
Mine is due the 28th of May so now it won’t be due an MOT until October the 28th 2020.
If you cars MOT is due before the 30th of March you won’t be exempt for 6 months & your car will still need to pass it’s annual MOT test.
However your car must still be maintained & kept roadworthy despite the exemption & extension of your MOT test date.

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
Anyway’s moving on from country pursuits & back to the partial lockdown I’ve just received an email from the council’s licensing department.
From March the 30th onwards all vehicles are now MOT exempt for a period of 6 months from the date of your annual expiry date of MOT.
Mine is due the 28th of May so now it won’t be due an MOT until October the 28th 2020.
If you cars MOT is due before or on the 30th of March you won’t be exempt for 6 months & your car will still need to pass it’s annual MOT test.
However your car must still be maintained & kept roadworthy despite the exemption & extension of your MOT test date.
Further lockdown measures coming next week?

Closing garages etc too?

OR - could just be that as the infection rate increases, self-isolation and people off sick will mean not enough MOT stations are able to be open to cover the number of MOT tests required I guess.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Further lockdown measures coming next week?

Closing garages etc too?

OR - could just be that as the infection rate increases, self-isolation and people off sick will mean not enough MOT stations are able to be open to cover the number of MOT tests required I guess.
The government say it’s to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus.
Fair enough.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Theres plenty of money in the pot to get us through this crisis, even with giving every human that is not working in the uk basic salary so they can provide for themselves, and I mean everyone! The problem is getting this money out of the big corporations and billionaires that are scattered around the world, and putting it in the hands of these people that need it right now, especially the scumbags, these are the people we really need to pay to stay at home!

I'm still doing call outs for other essential workers and a handful of isolaters when I can, gonna do my bit and keep as many essentials on the road as I can. Done a few hospital car parks and seen a few heads on steering wheels in the morning, seeing determition in them all more then fear though which is inspiring..hats off to you all!

liniancey on the MOT test will help out massively now atleast(although I think we all seen that coming) going to be alot of folk needing mots all at the same time in the coming future though!

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
liniancey on the MOT test will help out massively now atleast(although I think we all seen that coming) going to be alot of folk needing mots all at the same time in the coming future though!
MOTs on my bike and my car are due in July. Obviously the Bike's not important anyway as it's not essential. plus it's still in bits in the garage anyway :LOL:

But, if the garages are open again by then and restrictions even partially lifted, I'll still get my car MOT done in July when it's due, or as soon as possible after restrictions are lifted if they're still in place in July.

Might as well. I've budgeted for car work anyway so it's not like I don't have the money (we always put a bit away each month for future car repairs/servicing :) )

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
Theres plenty of money in the pot to get us through this crisis, even with giving every human that is not working in the uk basic salary so they can provide for themselves, and I mean everyone! The problem is getting this money out of the big corporations and billionaires that are scattered around the world, and putting it in the hands of these people that need it right now, especially the scumbags, these are the people we really need to pay to stay at home!
Take Tim Martin (wetherspoons owner) as a classic example. 40,000 staff laid off on March 22nd (I think that was the date, can't remember) with no pay until he receives his grant from the government.

He suggested in a video to his staff that they go to Tesco as they're looking for 20,000 temporary staff.

Richard Branson, who has a net worth of £4,1,000,000, lays off staff with no pay.....

If (in general) the British public weren't so spineless and fickle, we could crush these arseholes once the covid restrictions are lifted by boycotting their companies. But it'll all be forgotten once we can start going on holiday and back down the pub. We'll be throwing our money at them again, sadly.

For the record, I avoid spoons as much as I can as it's not my thing any more. I am happy to pay an extra £2 a pint and drink somewhere with a better class of clientele whenever I do go out :)

21 - 40 of 282 Posts