Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys and girls do you think its the correct thing?

In my opinion its a cost benefit analysis which I dont think adds up. If we crash the economy a lot more people will die from poverty instead. Maybe accept some people will get this virus and isolate a smaller group so that we can keep things moving at the same time. . .

There is no right answer but just wondered peoples thoughts on the matter. . .

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
I understand the thought behind it, as in it will put a big strain on the NHS even bring it to its knees, but then you think is this fate that's come back to bite the Torys hard, if they hadn't made that many cuts to the NHS and lack of investment then we may have been able to cope with this a lot better.

Brother sent me a selection of videos from Facebook, they show the typical Americans I know better than you attitude, Police having enough of people collecting on Miami beach back answering the Police, then videos of the Army dispersing crowds.

There was also videos of trains that were carrying hundreds of army issue Hummers, another showing convoys of army troops heading for Chicago, trains with again hundreds of army transport vehicles and Tanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,801 Posts
Doesn't matter which party had of been in power , the NHS would have struggled , why ?
Because a vast amount of people in this country have poor health , obesity , diabetes , smoking related health issues , alcohol addiction , drugs etc etc.
These health issues already put a strain on the NHS without the other health issues we all can get as we go through life.
Throw a highly contagious virus into the mix & your really in a mess very quickly.
So the government are doing the correct thing , stopping the spread of this deadly disease where humanly possible.
You cannot guarantee how your body will react if you catch this virus , so it's best to try & not catch it if you can but not just for your sake but one's that you love.

·
Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
690 Posts
I’m a tyre fitter that deals with 20-30 customers daily,I’ve just had a week off and went back to work yesterday and we had not 10 cars all day,today hopefully they tell us to go home coz it’s ridiculous,I understand some people are in need with punctures and tyres but most of our work yesterday was there FREE 2 week recheck!!!!
Be safe people it’s not only your life at risk it’s your family if you bring it home!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
The only way to kill the virus is to prevent infections. There is no vaccine. The only way to prevent the virus infecting is to starve it of hosts (humans).

Given the death rate of around 2-3%, if every single person in the world contracted COVID-19, that would be over 150,000,000 people dead. And that is going on 2% death rate, and also doesn't factor in the people that WILL die from other conditions due to the hospitals being overrun with COVID-19 patients so they can't care for other people.

I can see further lockdown measures ahead if these current measures don't slow the infection rate enough.

Put it this way, if EVERYONE except medical workers were put into lockdown for three weeks, emergency food parcels delivered to every household so you didn't go out to even get food, the virus would die as all infected would have either died in those three weeks or will no longer be infectious.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Yes I do think it's the right thing, this virus is nasty and people are dying.
I'm working within services now which are in lock down for their own health reasons. I'm working mainly nights now (skelton staff only), all day community support has stopped, apart from absolute neccessaties. I'm hoping I don't lose any people to whom I support or even catch the virus badly myself.
Staff shortages within my industry were already short, prior to this virus, now they're a lot worse. We have staff that are not coming into work now for their own reasons, which I also understand.
I'll be pleased when we eventually get back to normal again.

·
12,346 Posts
Just back from my exercise session with my dog. Hardly anyone about but Gregg's doing a roaring trade with the youngsters all packed in together.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't matter which party had of been in power , the NHS would have struggled , why ?
Because a vast amount of people in this country have poor health , obesity , diabetes , smoking related health issues , alcohol addiction , drugs etc etc.
These health issues already put a strain on the NHS without the other health issues we all can get as we go through life.
Throw a highly contagious virus into the mix & your really in a mess very quickly.
So the government are doing the correct thing , stopping the spread of this deadly disease where humanly possible.
You cannot guarantee how your body will react if you catch this virus , so it's best to try & not catch it if you can but not just for your sake but one's that you love.
I got to agree with you there, the NHS problem is not a party one. Even if you threw all the money in the country to it, it would still not work. The problem is structural. What it was designed for and what it is being used for today are two different things.

A bit like the welfare issue, this is going to fail. Not because its not a good idea, simply because the country cant afford it.

I think the key is the numbers if the theory is that 65 million should have access to it then you have to be in a position where you can accommodate everyone.

Regarding the virus I am not sure if this is the correct solution. There is nothing to say that after 3 weeks, 3 months or even 3 years this would be over but in the meantime business is dying. If people cant afford a living then is it really better than the virus spreading?

If I was prime minister I would say everyone get tested daily but get back to work (keep schools off) and try and contain it as soon as you find positive cases. I truly fear a world wide economic crisis will be worse than this virus. If the west goes bankrupt there is no one to aid us. Imagine the kind of chaos if 2 months in the government announces from next week no one is to get welfare as there isnt any more? There would be riots over night.

As a society we have become too dependent on the state and in tern the politicians lie to us by claiming they can keep our standard of living up.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got to agree with you there, the NHS problem is not a party one. Even if you threw all the money in the country to it, it would still not work. The problem is structural. What it was designed for and what it is being used for today are two different things.

A bit like the welfare issue, this is going to fail. Not because its not a good idea, simply because the country cant afford it.

I think the key is the numbers if the theory is that 65 million should have access to it then you have to be in a position where you can accommodate everyone.

Regarding the virus I am not sure if this is the correct solution. There is nothing to say that after 3 weeks, 3 months or even 3 years this would be over but in the meantime business is dying. If people cant afford a living then is it really better than the virus spreading?

If I was prime minister I would say everyone get tested daily but get back to work (keep schools off) and try and contain it as soon as you find positive cases. I truly fear a world wide economic crisis will be worse than this virus. If the west goes bankrupt there is no one to aid us. Imagine the kind of chaos if 2 months in the government announces from next week no one is to get welfare as there isnt any more? There would be riots over night.

As a society we have become too dependent on the state and in tern the politicians lie to us by claiming they can keep our standard of living up.

Then again who would vote for an honest politician? Vote for me and I will bring the finances into control. In practice it would mean a lot of people chucked out of welfare, NHS being down sized as it has too many managers compared to doctors and nurses, get outside help to help NHS admin (private), get rid of entire ministries like sports and equalities as we cant afford social engineering programs, stop funding majority of university degrees as they dont actually help you find work. . . that would stabilize the public finances but no one will vote for it as we all want better. . . its human nature. . . unfortunately one day things will fail and things will get ugly . . . on a selfish note I am glad I live in the sticks and not the city . . .

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only way to kill the virus is to prevent infections. There is no vaccine. The only way to prevent the virus infecting is to starve it of hosts (humans).

Given the death rate of around 2-3%, if every single person in the world contracted COVID-19, that would be over 150,000,000 people dead. And that is going on 2% death rate, and also doesn't factor in the people that WILL die from other conditions due to the hospitals being overrun with COVID-19 patients so they can't care for other people.

I can see further lockdown measures ahead if these current measures don't slow the infection rate enough.

Put it this way, if EVERYONE except medical workers were put into lockdown for three weeks, emergency food parcels delivered to every household so you didn't go out to even get food, the virus would die as all infected would have either died in those three weeks or will no longer be infectious.
Or, thinking outside the box, accepting we cant contain it and adapt accordingly. Test everyone every day everywhere until we get this under control. . . I am not convinced us at home will help in the long run, especially with the economic impact. ..

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Then again who would vote for an honest politician? Vote for me and I will bring the finances into control. In practice it would mean a lot of people chucked out of welfare, NHS being down sized as it has too many managers compared to doctors and nurses, get outside help to help NHS admin (private), get rid of entire ministries like sports and equalities as we cant afford social engineering programs, stop funding majority of university degrees as they dont actually help you find work. . . that would stabilize the public finances but no one will vote for it as we all want better. . . its human nature. . . unfortunately one day things will fail and things will get ugly . . . on a selfish note I am glad I live in the sticks and not the city . . .
Do try and come back to the city when the cows turn ugly and the sheep say NO we will not put our back legs in your wellies.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
Or, thinking outside the box, accepting we cant contain it and adapt accordingly. Test everyone every day everywhere until we get this under control. . . I am not convinced us at home will help in the long run, especially with the economic impact. ..
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Over the course of just one month, you're looking at a cost of over £240 Billion!!!

(that's working on a price I found of £120 per test and I have no idea if that's reliable. Sounds a bit cheap to me given the cost to get the test to each person, the cost to get it back to a lab, the cost to process the swab, the cost to distribute the results).

1 - 20 of 273 Posts