Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Some more help needed, I am having trouble removing 2 of the spark plugs from my 1.8 Vectra.

I don't want to force it and break something (will I?). Some advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
they must have been in there a while,have you tried doing it up a little,this might break the seal,is it dry in the hole ? have you tried spraying wd40 down the hole,just a few ideas,i'm not going to say to you just it force though,keep at it and i'm sure it will budge in the end.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have heard that they can snap off in the head.... I would let it cool and squirt WD40 down the hole and let it stand overnight then use brake clean to get it out of the hole. Then you may be able to get them out.

As it is an ally head I would think that the expansion may be quicker on the thread than that of the plug?

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
As above.

WD40 down the hole overnight.

Cigarette

Turn 1/4 turn

Another cigarette

Turn another 1/4 turn

Hear it creaking

Wind back in 1/4 turn

Bit more WD40

Repeat above with regular trouser changes until you either have the plug in your hand or a can of petrol and a match ;)

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
As above.

WD40 down the hole overnight.

Cigarette

Turn 1/4 turn

Another cigarette

Turn another 1/4 turn

Hear it creaking

Wind back in 1/4 turn

Bit more WD40

Repeat above with regular trouser changes until you either have the plug in your hand or a can of petrol and a match ;)

:lmao::lmao: class

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
rather than use wd40 use a proper penetrating oil ,if the engine is hot wd40 will evaporate very quickly,another thing you could try is with a very hot engine squirt some thin oil down the plug holes,the thin oil will get hot and thin and seep down the threads of the plugs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.