Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd drop this out for your opinions...

About 3 weeks ago I changed the injector seals, leakoff pipes, tpieces etc and then found out that my air flow meter was faulty:grrr . I found this out, because when I tried to start it - white smoke poured out the exhaust and it would not idle or run but when I disconnected the meter it ticked over fine and drove fine, but just no turbo.

I plan to get an airflow meter off ebay next week when I have the cash available but I've now been driving without the airflow meter connected (painful I know:shame: ) and although it used to start fine at first - over the last few weeks it's been getting harder and harder to start.

Starts just fine if the engine is warm but if I leave it for 3hrs or so it'll turnover and fire the first time I turn the key, then die. Then it'll turn over a few times - then grumble as though it's going to start and then die. Then it does this a few more times whilst I pump accelorator until it eventually finishes grumbling and jumps into life. Then it drives fine again.

Now I'm thinking that this could be due to due to:

1) the fuel system is de-pressurising over a few hours and the difficult starting plus accelorator pumping is forcing diesel back through the pipes and fuel pump...potentially caused by an air leak somewhere in the system

or

2) The disconnection of the airflow has done/is doing something to the ECU so that it's no longer running in limphome mode - but adjusting itself to try and account for the lack of airflow sensor knowledge

What do you guys think? Will disconnecting the battery for a few hours eliminate number 2 (by resetting the ECU) and help determine if number 1 is the cause? :mmmm

Mike.

C

·
0 Posts
I think you need all sensors connected, and working properly, before you try to find (possible) other faults :Cool2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the problem is that I need the car for work (travelling about 150miles a day) and don't get paid till next week - so I'm just trying to keep it going for a few more days...

I've disconnected the battery tonight, so am hoping that it'll start up better tomorrow - wish me luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this morning before trying to start the tractor, I thought I'd just check the fuel filter to see whether there's any fuel in it...opened it up to find there was nothing other than a small drain at the bottom!:eh

Would explain why there's problems getting it started if there's no diesel in the canister. The constant turning over is drawing fuel from the tank and filling the fuel canister until it gets to a point where there's enough to send down to the pump.

But my question now, is where has it gone? It must be there at some point because the car starts on the first turn when it's warm but after it's been standing for a while...it appears the canister is emptying. There's no leaks and considering the level is so low and the tank feed is provided through the lid of the canister - I can't think where it's going!:dunno

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
It sounds like air must be getting into the fuel system *somewhere* and the fuel is returning to the tank.

I read recently about the fuel filter being done up too tightly causing the embedded 'nut' to either break loose or split the housing.

A loose (or leaking) drain valve on the bottom of the fuel filter?

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth replacing the 2 rubber seals in the fuel filter (the ones you get with a new filter element).

·
Registered
134 Posts
a non return valve in the feed from the tank would not go amiss from the sound of it
thear as said must be an air leak allowing the fuel to return to the tank slowly so when its warm it fires right off but when its cooled down its had time to drain back
the other thing to look at is the joints to the banjos on the pump as they may be a tiny bit loose and letting the air in there (air will suck in easyer than diesel drip out )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks, you're right.:Cool2:

I put ptfe plumbers tape round each of the new spill-off pipes and it's connections to the tpiece, then put bluetack round the nut on the fuel filter to make sure nothing was getting in/out and then put tanktape round each of the pipes that connect to the fuel filter and also did the same on the end of the fuel tank pipes under the back seat too.

I ran it for 15mins or so, then left it to cool down for 2hrs and it started on the first turn of the key. So just in case it was a fluke, I left it overnight and this morning when I came out to start it - it started on the first turn of the key again!:bananasmi

I'm going to get some new parts sorted out this week, including a new fuel filter housing so that I can start getting rid of the tanktape but it looks like it's good to get me to work again for a few more days.

Cheers guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts