Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTI 2005 van which has had a lot of problems, nearly sorted them all out.

Sorry if this is a bit long, just wanted to give as much detail as possible.

I am not using the van anymore as it has totally done my head in so I got a brand new one but I would like to get it working properly so I can sell it.

Brief history of previous problems first.

It had been driving a bit crap for a while but before I got round to getting it looked at the head gasket went. Got that fix and used it for a bit before getting it looked at. The turbo which was brand new 2 years ago had gone. Got another brand new one on now but still running crap (hesitating at 2000 rmp). Got it looked at again and it was the injectors so got some 2nd hand ones of ebay. Insurance had run out by now so hadn’t took it for a test drive. I have had a problem with starting thought out all of the other problems. One time garage said it was fuel rail which I changed with no joy and another the high pressure fuel pump. They thought it was fuel rail cause of a fault code but I think the fault code was because I ran out of fuel. The fuel gauge said I had fuel but I didn’t, there was a vacuum in fuel tank giving false reading for some reason so bloke from RAC told me to drill hole in cap.

Anyway after changing the injectors and leaving it over Christmas last week I insured it for a day to test drive it. It started up ok but is smoking a lot due to condensation in the exhaust I think. I took it for a drive and it drives well now, not hesitating like before. Stopped at a petrol station and it wouldn’t start and I killed the battery trying, before it would start after a few tries. Got a jump and drove back so thought battery would be charged again. Took it out again today to try burn condensation off. It started fine but I stopped again and killed the battery trying to start it. Got a new battery but when I went to start it the light of the car and the spanner was flashing and it wouldn’t start. Went back to it later and it wasn’t flashing anymore and it started. Have kept trying to start it a few times throughout the rest of the day sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn’t. Just went out now while it’s dark and noticed two lights on the dash stay on dimmed (see photo).

Could the problem be an electrical fault? Is this causing the lights on dash to stay on and has this knackered the old battery?

Or could it be the high pressure diesel pump? Would this have cause vacuum in fuel tank?

DSC_0015 3.JPG

(Lights look brighter in photo)
They are on when the ignition is off and the keys are out and the doors are locked.

Thanks in advance

Adam

·
Premium Member
14,835 Posts
Could be a faulty instrument cluster, this forms part of the immobiliser system as well so that would explain the flashing spanner light (which indicates its immobilised) and why it wont start (randomly).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a faulty instrument cluster, this forms part of the immobiliser system as well so that would explain the flashing spanner light (which indicates its immobilised) and why it wont start (randomly).
I was thinking it might be the immobilizer when I saw the flashing spanner too but I only noticed this after changing the battery. Don't know if the power loss caused that and there is also another problem. Why would the 2 lights on the dash be on too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know why the lights would be staying on on the dash?
Is there a way i could check if it was the immobiliser? i have a access to a corsa could i swap the immobilisers around to test?

·
14,130 Posts
You would have to reset the Corsa instruments and then code it to the van otherwise it is not going to work.
Do you have access to OpCOM to do that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just went to try and start it after having the battery out all week. it made all sorts of noises when i turned the ignition on. waited till it stoped and it started up fine no flashing lights or anything. made some more noises when i turned it off but started straight back up again???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right. I have a feeling it’s not the immobiliser. It seems something is draining the battery. I have tested voltage when running and the alternator seems to be charging. I could start and stop the engine loads of times after reconnecting the battery but after driving for a bit then turning it off the battery doesn’t have enough charge to start it again.

Any ideas anyone. Really need to get rid of this piece of ****

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.