Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post on this forum, anyone can help with info on changing the stop solenoid on my 97 2.0 vectra di, my first guess is the stop solenoid as the motor turns over but just wont fire not a single pop, does anyone know of a way of testing it without taking it out of the pump, any info would be great.
Thanks Stirl.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem last winter, turned out that the spill pipe (can't remember the proper term for it) was corroded so fuel wasn't being pumped into the engine. £5 later and it started first time. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
There isn't a stop solenoid on these pumps. They are electronically controlled as opposed to the mechanical pumps you're thinking of.

Like wobbler says, check the spill pipes.

Also, check for fuel (and water) in the filter housing. Is the engine lamp blinking at you?

Do you have anymore background information on the fault that might help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No lights blinking at all and was running perfectly i had just done a tour around Scotland 1600 miles 3 days later it wouldn't start but it had been running fine for those 3 days.

spill pipes are they the pipes that return fuel to the tank?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
spill pipes are they the pipes that return fuel to the tank?
In essence, yes. They link together and connect to the return pipe's banjo at the pump.

If you're struggling to bleed it, slacken off the metal pipes at the 'injectors' and crank until you see fuel coming out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes mine was the same. Went out one morning and it just wouldnt start.
Had to call out breakdown. He got it to start after bleeding the injectors and cranking for a long time.
An hour after he had gone it took a while to start again and next day it took ages to start.
Called into the main Vauxhall dealer and the foreman said its the injector seals and is very common. Book it in now.....How much I asked.
If I recall correctly it was £55.00 per hour and was a five hour job.
Beat a hurried retreat and asked a friend up the road who used to be a VX mechanic in our local town before they closed it down.
They always say its the injector seals he said, its part of the looking for work game. In 90% of the time its the spill pipes. He bought some home from work and did it in 15 minutes. No problems with starting again.
wemyss

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys and thanks for the advice my vectra is now running again after bleeding the air , took a couple of mins cranking, if the problem comes back i'll change the spill pipes.
thanks again Stirl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
try parking it with the nose facing downhill, if this works its the spill (vaccum pipes) that need replaced, mine used to do it , just turn over and over, parking nose down stops the air travelling backwards in the pipes,

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
the injector seals do cause problems and if overlooked the sump can fill with diesel and oil can be injected into the engine,the engine will then run on its own with no control and the only way to stop it is to try and stall it or the engine goes bang in a big way,if there is cold starting problems occur try new leak off pipes and if this doesnt work fit new seals

1 - 10 of 10 Posts