Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
There is no replacement for displacement
2,175 Posts
If it's the satin red one, then yes, I saw it, as it was a ringer for my Dads! Bloke was starting from tickover rather than left foot braking and getting the revs up. Plus it's probably an 8v anyway, and all that leather and aircon to lug around too...

·
6,336 Posts
running my old v6 auto down the strip didn't see any difference in times whether punching it from (effectively) tickover or trying to wind it up a bit on the brakes first ... :up:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i surpose i should have put it was my dippy, it was the first time been to the show and on a strip, so its a starting point. plus i had 2 child seats in the back as well as the luxury weight minus the kids of cause. they was screaming at the jet car. despite the weather i would deffinatly go again.

·
2,175 Posts
running my old v6 auto down the strip didn't see any difference in times whether punching it from (effectively) tickover or trying to wind it up a bit on the brakes first ... :up:
That's strange as when I'm driving my auto Cav, it's definitely quicker off the mark when the revs are up. If I get it just right (or wrong?!) it wheelspins a bit first, which it never does from tickover. Perhaps with the V6 there is traction control like on the manuals, which is known to kill the power?

i surpose i should have put it was my dippy, it was the first time been to the show and on a strip, so its a starting point. plus i had 2 child seats in the back as well as the luxury weight minus the kids of cause. they was screaming at the jet car. despite the weather i would deffinatly go again.
lol, fair play mate. All the extra weight will make all the difference. Autos really aren't the best for 1/4 miles anyway. You only had to see the auto Monaros that were really sluggish from the standing start and only came into their own once they were rolling. Maybe you're due a service or something? I know we serviced my Dads dippy the other day and he's amazed at the difference it's made. But saying that, he's a tight git who thinks a set of plug
leads is OK after 80k!!! :shame::shake:lmao:

·
6,336 Posts
I did around six runs on the one day, each time trying a different combination of starts and approaches to launching ... and across those six runs I got a maximum difference of 0.2 secs from the fastest to the slowest!

·
2,175 Posts
Does the V6 auto have the same traction control as the manuals though? That would limit launches no matter what. Or maybe as the V6 is kicking out more torque and power through the same box (iirc?), the auto box ECU limits power automatically to stop shredding the box?

·
6,336 Posts
tried it with TC on and also off - no difference, on a dry warm track there was little chance of it spinning anyway.

it's a different box, the smaller engines use the AF20 whereas the V6 uses the AF22.

·
2,175 Posts
There must be some difference in the V6 engine management/ auto box software then. Even my modest 2.0 could spin em up if I gave it too much beans from a standing start. Perhaps we are trying to compare chalk and cheese here?!? ;):Cool2:

Anyway, I reckon there's room for improvement on a 19s run, even with an auto.

To be fair the Dippys were never built for the strip, more for motorway cruising, which they do very nicely. :Cool2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts