Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to change my fuel filter on diesel vectra its a arctic 2 di, can any body type up a quick guide (what to look for how long it`ll take etc as some1 mentioned theres 3 on a lx petrol) for me to look at before i get started, also How much would it be at a garage maybe id be aswell going to one as i dont have a lot of spare time on my hands due to work and i rely on the car alot for day to day tasks? thank you very much any feed back would be of huge interest to me as this type of engine is very new to me

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it's the same as mine, then if you stand at the front of the engine at look towards the top back - you'll see a big black cannister with two pipes going into it and an allen key fitting on top. If you undo the allen key - the filter is in there, but just be sure to fit the rings back properly when you change it otherwise it'll draw in air and diesel and give you all sorts of problems.

Mike.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. ill have a look it is the fuel filter isnt it?? not oil (im just double checking)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, like Mike says the fuel filter is behind the engine when you stand at the front looking toward the back. It's mounted on the bulkhead fairly high up. The oil filter is at the front of the engine low down and mounted on the engine. Something to be aware of though is bleeding the air out after the change. The Haynes manual says take to Vauxhall dealer, but no one would want to do that if they could help it would they. Maybe some kind person can advice and I might change my fuel filter then. Good luck anyway.
Frank.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot guys. theres bells in my head ringing now its all comeing back to me from last time a looked (to cold at moment to have a reet good gander)
u can unscrew the filter (little round thing at bottom of it) cant u and bleed a bit of diesel/and a bit of the crap out without changeing the whole this (only as a tempory measure tho i dont know enuff to start tellin people)

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
Be careful with the Fuel Filter.

Vauxhall use a pump to reprime the Fuel system, as the VP44 pumps aren't self priming like the old diesels.

The pumps can also be damaged relatively easily, when run without fuel in.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice one mark. what would u recomend i do then?. how much would a be looking at for a clean fuel filter fitted then for the arctic 2 di vectra

·
Registered
134 Posts
i primed mine by using a small pump on the long bleed off return pipe to pull fuel to the inlet of the pump then bent the pipe in two (rubber) so it did not run back and reconected it to the bleed off system under the ecotec cover (comes off by removing 3 torques bolts )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, I had to fill the fule filter housing with diesel and use a kiddies medicine syringe fill the fuel filter to fule pump line (took ages) but don't take this as a recommendation because you're bypassing the fuel filter and hence could fill your pumps with bits of dirt (or medicine:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Confused, apart from filling the fuel filter with clean diesel the Haynes manual says all to bleed the system you should high rev the engine for a minute or so? Only to take it to Vauxhall if there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
They will self-prime and the way to prime quicker is to slacken off all 4 injector pipes and crank the engine until fuel emerges from each pipe.

As far as changing the filter is concerned, personally I would drain the filter housing completely (using the plastic drain screw underneath. The reason for draining it is because if you remove the filter element with diesel in the housing, you're allowing the fuel on the dirty side of the filter to mix with the clean side.

Be careful not to overtighten the filter housing bolt otherwise you could dislodge the nut that's moulded into the plastic housing (new housing req'd in that situation).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts