Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set off by the Customer Services thread ... another pet rant of mine - Bad Design ...

You find yourself in a situation or using equipment that should otherwise be simple and easy to use - after all, this isn't the Cooling System Maintenance Cycle Procedures for Dismantling, Inspecting and Renovating a Nuclear Reactor now is it ...

We have a bespoke computer system covering stock control, ordering, invoicing and accounts systems etc; the whole shebang ... written especially for us ... What moron thought up the following?:-

One screen/ area has you providing input and using the shortcut keys 'A' to accept and 'C' to cancel ... but yet on the very next screen, 'A' is used for abort and 'C' is used for confirm ... ???!!

or, who decided that to have the "do it" key and the "don't do it and delete everything I've just entered" key side by side ...

I have a Hi-Fi system (;)) ... it's quite old now but does actually have a remote control ... now I've had this thing for 10 years or more ... and still HAVE to look at the keypad to switch between functions ... the layout is so badly thought out you could quite believe the keys were randomly placed ...

eg it has the usual cd/ radio/ video/ aux/ phono/ cassette input buttons ... the radio, the cassette and the phono buttons are together in a line ... the 'cd' button is over there hiding between two other unrelated function buttons ... the 'video' button is on it's own down there ...

I'll add more as I remember or come across them ...

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
JamesM said:
We have a bespoke computer system covering stock control, ordering, invoicing and accounts systems etc; the whole shebang ... written especially for us ... What moron thought up the following?:-

One screen/ area has you providing input and using the shortcut keys 'A' to accept and 'C' to cancel ... but yet on the very next screen, 'A' is used for abort and 'C' is used for confirm ... ???!!

or, who decided that to have the "do it" key and the "don't do it and delete everything I've just entered" key side by side ...
Sorry, but I've done some work on user interfaces at uni.... IT'S NOT FCUKING HARD!
Consistency is everything!
Get whoever wrote your software back in, give whoever did the UI a slap with a big wet trout, and make them do it again! Chances are it's the same person who sits there all day coding the fecker and has no contact with any humans ever!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The Windows cut, copy and paste keyboard functions - ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Sounds fine in practice except when you've highlighted the text or items you want to copy to the clipboard and hit ctrl+v instead of ctrl+c and paste in the last thing you had in the clipboard. :mad:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
simonlb said:
The Windows cut, copy and paste keyboard functions - ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Sounds fine in practice except when you've highlighted the text or items you want to copy to the clipboard and hit ctrl+v instead of ctrl+c and paste in the last thing you had in the clipboard. :mad:
Ctrl+Z........

Undo! :lmao:

·
15,300 Posts
simonlb said:
I use those all the time, I never right click and chose cut paste etc, never had any problems mxiing them up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts