Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time poster!
i have a (52) Vectra and upto know has been running fine, i went to start the car on sat and the bettery was dead flat , so put some charge in it and as soon as connected everything the coolant fans started, i have had to remove the fuses to stop them working as i believe it is something to do with that area which is coausing my battery to drain, and now i have the little spanner showing on the dash, i will do the (pedal trick) after learning about it on here, but basically does anyone have any ideas to the problem. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I don't think it's the alternator, because if the fans started with the engine cold then the thermo-switch in the radiator is stuck on.

It's easy to find, it has a connector plug on it and it's on the side of the radiator. Just pull off the connector to confirm this, and if the fans turn off then just change the switch.

Let us know what the codes are, probably due to the battery being totally flat the ECU has reset and will take some time to "re-learn" once power is restored to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx

Big help guys, had my brother look at the car today and it's looking like the thermo switch, mine seem to be located on the engine side of the radiator, I have now the task of finding out the cost from Vauxhall. I'm sure it'll be interesting

But thanks for the response it's really helped

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just an update guys

OMG!!!! had a chat with my local vauxhall dealer and so for the cost of repair runs from £300 upto a possible £700, i have to pay £87 for the diagnostic and then vat and labour on top, i dont think the car is even worth that!!!

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Nah!

Buy the thermo-switch from your friendly motor factor, they only need your car registration usually. And put it in yourself - 20 minute job at the worst! When you have done it drive back to your friendly Vx dealer and deliver a personal "V" ("Victory") sign to thank them.

They are an absolute disgrace to the Vx community.

Look here for the switch if you don't have a motor factor near you:- http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/vauxworld/radiator-temperature-switches-212-c.asp

If you can't see it or have any doubts just call them to get the right one, the guy I spoke to when I got my aux belt tensioner was very friendly, and very helpful. And I got the tensioner in 2 days.

Check if it comes with a gasket, if not ask for one and fit it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts