Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
VxON's Lil Devil
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read this book?
I dont normally read books its not really my thing but im in the middle of reading it at the moment and have got really into it, the film is suposed to be coming out soon too
I was pretty amazed that all the things that are said in the book are based on facts although i believe the writer is in alot of trouble for using copywrite information :rolleyes:

Have you read it....and also whats your fave book/film?

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Studied medieval and Classical history (for my sins) and so read the original semi-historical books by Baigent, Leigh etc many years ago.

The theory is interesting and there are some loose historical threads/points that they raise but none that are even close to 'true'/proven - these same were later capitalised on by Dan Brown, hence the copyright issue. The original theories had nothing to do with Da Vinci (although they did concern another renaissance artist, Poussin) - but centred around the village of Rene les Chateau in southern France where a monk/prior allegedley discovered some 'hidden secret' (scrolls??) and became rich and promoted within the church almost overnight.
The assumption was that he had unearthed a secret and was bought off by the RC Church to keep silent..... blah blah blah - and so the secret went on and was connected to the "Priory of Sion", supposedley a secret societ based around the Merovingian dynasty of French Kings. blah bah blah who were the supposed offspring from the late J.C and Mary Magdalene... blah blah blah. The orignal book was "The Holy Blood, The Holy Grail" - and will be found in the religion or historical section of bookshops/libraries..... they also did a follow up, "The Messianic Legacy".

Bullshit. The Priory of Sion has been admitted as a complete fabrication.... and all of the other 'facts' (although exploiting historical 'grey areas') are a long way from established fact. To say they are based on fact is a very loose interpretation of what constitutes a fact. But then again, remember that the whole of the Christian faith is based/built on - what is essentially - a story...... which has a number of different strands, which often contradict each other.

As to Dan Brown while the histories and stories are an interesting read themselves, D. Brown is a bit of a 'hack' as a writer - his claim to fame comes in the wake of Jeffreey Archer style books - awful writing people are forced buy when they are in airport departure lounges and it's all that is stocked in the bookshop. Like having a captive audience.

Considering both the books, the original semi-historical ones, and Dan Browns tat, are by the same publishing house - and considering the sales of both have rocketed again in view of the present law-suit, the cynical would say it is all just a publicity hype. Brown freely acknowledges that he took the idea from the Holy Blood, Holy Grail - he even has the name of one of the original writers (Baigent) appear in an anagram form; the name 'Teabing' - who is one of the historical experts in "Da Vinci Code".

It's all about the publicity and money.

[/rant]

bet you wished you hadnt asked now :lmao: this may have been more 'waffle' than you anticipated

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,059 Posts
I have read it and found it an enjoyable work of crime fiction.

I thought Angels And Demons was better written and Decetion Point had a better storyline.

And my eyes won't focus because, as Andy M would say.... I'm smashed me.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Yep i've read it - took me AGES to acually get into it but after the 3rd chapter i couldnt put it down!
Not my usual read tho i usually read SAS/Militarty based books like Andy Mcnabs or Chris Ryan stff - both of which are both ExSAS and pretty good writers.....

Fav Book: not really got one.....
FAV film: TopGun all the way

·
Rascal
12,173 Posts
scharatz said:
Pile of ****. All made up to sell the book.
So? Its a work of fiction, its meant to be made up! I think too many people thought that everything in it was real, testament to the style of Dan Brown for making a believable story.

I really enjoyed the book myself, I knew most of it was made up, but it was a good story which kept me reading. Am waiting for my dad to finish Deception Point or whichever one i got him for his bday so I can read it too!

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
shakermaker said:
So? Its a work of fiction, its meant to be made up!
Nothing wrong with made up fiction. Far from it, it's great. But what annoys me is when it's advertised as the truth. Which it ain't.

·
Rascal
12,173 Posts
scharatz said:
Nothing wrong with made up fiction. Far from it, it's great. But what annoys me is when it's advertised as the truth. Which it ain't.
I thought that the "truth" aspect was with regards to the geography if things, and the locations etc, but not so much the actual story.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Okay - Browns book is in the fiction section of the bookstores and is fiction, yes.
But it is based on a number of more historical works that have been around for years - all Brown has done is take some elements of those theories/grey areas 'dumb them down'..... throw in some rather bland prose and re-market it.

And while there are problems even with many of the historical/pseudo-historical points (such as in "The Holy Blood The Holy Grail") - the whole of Christendom is founded on a work of fiction with just as many problems, grey areas, and contradictions.....

people often forget the Bible is basically a work of fiction itself.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
shakermaker said:
I thought that the "truth" aspect was with regards to the geography if things, and the locations etc, but not so much the actual story.
very little of it has any basis in 'real hard, established fact' - though there are elements of truth in some of it.

it has long been suspected that J.C and Mary Magdalene had a little fling, and may even have been married...... bear in mind that at the time "Christianity" as we know it had not even been thought of and there was no bar on priests getting married (well, for starters there werent any priest yet..... but I digress).

The church in Paris exists - the Rose Line is b/s - it is all just an extrapolation from the Rosicrucians - another one of these supposed secret societies.... like the Priory of Sion.

Da Vinci - like many Renaissance artists - did include hidden messages etc... he was living in a time when there was an attempted religious backlash against the rebirth of elements of classical culture (which is what the renaissance was). There was an ardent monk/priest that was in Florence (I think) that had a huge bonfire burning countless renaissance (although contemporary at the time) works of art as he thought they were anti-religious.
so the artists way round it was to paint religious looking pieces, with hidden messages & images.

Roslyn Chapel has long been linked with a number of secret societies but most importantly the Knights Templar - who started out as crusader monks but became an incredibly powerful financial and political unit in mid/late medieval society. So much so that they bank-rolled the french king..... as a result he declared them traitors, devil-worshippers etc... Had an 'inquisition' type thing to prove it and then disbanded the order, killed lots of them and took the cash himself.

oh god - now am off on any number of tangents so will stop now....

basically all the books of this sort (be they self declared real history, or fiction) are exploiting a number of long known 'grey areas'..... all Brown has done is market it better and open it to mass appeal instead of more 'bookworm' types.

·
VxON's Lil Devil
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the things he says about Da Vinci's painting are true for example looking at the last supper:

you can see the hand with the knife... you can clearly see the V shape and you can also see that there is a woman by jesus's side with someone elses hand across her neck and they are also wearing the opposite

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
just starting it claire. yesterday in fact Langdon has just left his hotel room. lol. i believe a lot of it is arguably fictitious, but heard it was a good read. what'da think?

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Claire said:
All the things he says about Da Vinci's painting are true for example looking at the last supper:

you can see the hand with the knife... you can clearly see the V shape and you can also see that there is a woman by jesus's side with someone elses hand across her neck and they are also wearing the opposite
The interpretations of paintings, any paintings are very subjective.. and bear in mind that the look/fashion of the times concerned and the style of art were somewhat androgenous.

Besides, there's a lot more to it all than interpreting some of Da Vinci's work. Even if it was accepted that there was 'some bint' next to J.C in the Last Supper painting.... it's a heck of step to say that means J.C and Mary Mag were hitched and 'bumping uglies'... and had a kid, that moved to France and started a line of Kings, which have been kept secret by various socities etc etc

·
VxON's Lil Devil
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stuart002 said:
just starting it claire. yesterday in fact Langdon has just left his hotel room. lol. i believe a lot of it is arguably fictitious, but heard it was a good read. what'da think?
Im loving it... im sorry if by doing this thread ive spoilt it for you though :( i was going to read more last night but i could hardly keep my eyes open so came and played hangman and i spy on here :lmao:

i know theres more to it than the paintings but if i went into everything i would bore everyone and theres too much to type... another good example is that PHI thing 1.618 - pretty amazing and that is definately true because me and my friend got bored in science and checked :)

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Claire said:
Im loving it... im sorry if by doing this thread ive spoilt it for you though :( i was going to read more last night but i could hardly keep my eyes open so came and played hangman and i spy on here :lmao:

i know theres more to it than the paintings but if i went into everything i would bore everyone and theres too much to type... another good example is that PHI thing 1.618 - pretty amazing and that is definately true because me and my friend got bored in science and checked :)
no you havent ive heard loads about it anyway and kinda had to read it for myself. the next one 'angels and demons' is supposed to be good too.

·
VxON's Lil Devil
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought Angels and Demons was the one before The Da Vinci Code

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Claire said:
I thought Angels and Demons was the one before The Da Vinci Code
it was... there is a 3 part series with Richard Langdon (or whatever he is called) - the 3rd part is going to be "The Solomon Key".

Part 2 was that Da Vinci thing.

and part 1 - Angels & Demons dealt with yet another conspiracy theory, about the Illuminati.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Claire said:
You sure know your stuff dont you :p
it is the sign of a mispent youth ........ too much time reading and not enough time with fast cars and loose women, or fast women and loose cars either for that matter....

trying to make up for lost time now though! ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts