Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have felt that on low gears that there was a lack of power and with low revs it rumbles very heavy. Having a look around my engine I tried disconnecting the cylinder switches one by one whilst engine was running so I could hear if they worked..

1 of the cylinders (second from left) made no difference to the sound or revs when disconnecting. I am assuming this means it isn't firing up and probably never has since I got the Vectra in March.

Just wondering if this would cause the low rev rumbles and how would I go about fixing it. Is it a common fault? Just replace connector or will I need to inspect all the wires to it?

·
Premium Member
13,278 Posts
It sound like your injector has either failed or is blocked, if there is no fuel in the bore to cause to bang under compression then the other 3 bore's are are firing but it won't be in sequence as in 4,3,2,1 so if it runs 4,3,-,1 then it will be like a mis-fire.

First have you got any lights on the dash, get it connected to opcom or tech2 to see if there are an codes stored in the ECU, you could also do a meter test see if there is any power to the end of the connetor.

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
Not that I'm saying it is, but keep in the back of your head that loss of compression will give exactly the same symptoms - disconnecting the injector will mean no change in engine note, as in this case the fuel is being injected but not compressed in order to ignite it.

Just worth trying to get a quick compression test done before spending out on injector bits etc..

Nick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

So I checked the connectors and wiring and all seems intact. How would I check if the injector is blocked? Take it off? How?

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
Next step without a doubt is to get the car on a diag machine to see what codes are stored.

You've unplugged all 4 injectors whilst it's been running so you'll have 4 codes for open circuit on each injector - if it's running and still misfiring whilst the check is being done, one of those codes will show 'present' whilst the others as 'not present', as the fault still exists on one circuit - that's if it is a problem of course, with the plug connector or other part of the electrical side of the injectors.

Either way there are several other things it could be so definitely getting it plugged in and seeing what codes are in there will help. A photo of the injector connectors attached in here and will be able to tell if it's got the modified plugs on or not.

Nick.

Reactions: MikeSW17

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next step without a doubt is to get the car on a diag machine to see what codes are stored.

You've unplugged all 4 injectors whilst it's been running so you'll have 4 codes for open circuit on each injector - if it's running and still misfiring whilst the check is being done, one of those codes will show 'present' whilst the others as 'not present', as the fault still exists on one circuit - that's if it is a problem of course, with the plug connector or other part of the electrical side of the injectors.

Either way there are several other things it could be so definitely getting it plugged in and seeing what codes are in there will help. A photo of the injector connectors attached in here and will be able to tell if it's got the modified plugs on or not.

Nick.

Ok so, I have my own plug in computer and it has told me injector circuit / open cylinder for 1.2.3 and 4 of them.. I was unplugging myself to see a dif.

I cleared codes and no codes are showing now. My computer isn't great so might not pick up some.

I'd rather try sort the issue myself than take it to a AutoSpark. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so, I have my own plug in computer and it has told me injector circuit / open cylinder for 1.2.3 and 4 of them.. I was unplugging myself to see a dif.

I cleared codes and no codes are showing now. My computer isn't great so might not pick up some.

I'd rather try sort the issue myself than take it to a AutoSpark. Any other ideas?

Attachments

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
They're the newer type plugs by the looks - the ones that suffered with bad contact had yellow locking tabs (yours have blue locking tabs although not seen it the pic?).

So is it still actually misfiring? Re-read the DTC's now that you've cleared them.?

Nick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're the newer type plugs by the looks - the ones that suffered with bad contact had yellow locking tabs (yours have blue locking tabs although not seen it the pic?).

So is it still actually misfiring? Re-read the DTC's now that you've cleared them.?

Nick.
Yeah they have blue lock tabs. - yeah injector 2 still makes no difference when removed and engine is constantly shaky and noisy, I have checked all wiring to it and it's fine, connector itself looks fine, when I remove the connector I get a fault code so I assume that the electric is getting right up to it.

After I cleared fault codes for unplugging connectors nothing else shows.

·
"Red One.."
2,973 Posts
Probable injector itself or cylinder compression then. Both need testing with the appropriate equipment.

Nick.

Reactions: 7NeilMc
1 - 14 of 14 Posts