Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been to my local garage today, and they have diagnosed that my Cylinder head gasket on the drivers side has blown.

I have a 1999 Omega 2.5 V6 GLS auto estate. 55,000 mls.

they have quoted repair of £1800 - is this resonably priced

I havent got a clue about anything under the bonnet apart from basics.

RSVP ASAP

regards

Dave Hale

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Err, no that isn't a reasonable price but that's what happens when you go to a garage. You could always get your hands dirty and follow my guide I'm doing.

I'd expect to get that bill halved at least

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome Dave. :)

Now hold on a second.
First... £1,800??? They are having a laugh!! You can get a Vx recon engine for around £1,100.

Next, What are your symptoms and find out EXACTLY what the "garage" did to come to this conclusion?
It is VERY unusual for the head gasket to go on the V6 (James was just unlucky).

Much more likely to be oil cooler failure

·
Registered
24 Posts
oil cooler

Hello, only last week I was quoted between £800 and £1500 for a head gasket replacement. Only to find it was an oil cooler problem, thanks to the help of this forum. If you have a brown goo in your expansion tank it is probably the old cooler. Try not to panic there are lots of threads on the site for oil cooler problems. Have a look round and good luck.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I will have to put my prices up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are doing both for £300 on saturday (plus parts that is) we can travel, got a caravan :lmao:

email: [email protected]

Only problem is we are very busy until after easter - but you can get a headgasket set for under £50 from ebay plus bolts £22 and a timing belt kit from ronnie Mc burger for £60

I can see a night in Newcastle yes please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! away the lads!!!!!!!!!!

roy1hull said:
Hello, only last week I was quoted between £800 and £1500 for a head gasket replacement. Only to find it was an oil cooler problem, thanks to the help of this forum. If you have a brown goo in your expansion tank it is probably the old cooler. Try not to panic there are lots of threads on the site for oil cooler problems. Have a look round and good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts