Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

My Cav 1.8 has just failed it MOT on a hole in the outer CV boot. So I've removed the driveshaft from the hub in order to fit the new boot. Bought a cone to stretch the boot over the CV joint but it won't stretch enough!
Can the CV joint be dismantled? Is there another way to replace the CV boot other than just stretching it over the joint? help!
thanks
jack

C

·
0 Posts
Clean the grease out and you'll see a circlip. In theory you should be able to open it and tap joint off. Need to have it a straight, and may take quite a while.
Get a proper boot too.
:Cool2:

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
If you lube up the cone enough the stretch boot will go over. If not as said, just pull the circlip out and tap the CV off the shaft.

@CallyT, in actual fact the stretch boots are a lot better, as by their very nature they are more durable, so last longer :Cool2:

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
there is a circlip located on the rear of the cv joint, you need to open up the clip, its just a little fiddly to do. once opened tap the rear of the cv with a rubber malet to remove it. then clean the drive shaft and put the boot on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the stupid questions I've never taken a CV joint apart before but I couldn't see a circlip when I was looking at the CV joint. Will I need to remove the whole driveshaft from the car?

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
It is easier if you do, but can be done on the car. Clean the grease away from the part where the joint meets the shaft and you will see the clip :Cool2:

C

·
0 Posts
CavHopper said:
@CallyT, in actual fact the stretch boots are a lot better, as by their very nature they are more durable, so last longer :Cool2:
Oh right. Remember when they came out, we saw them as a bit of a bodge, in a way.
:Cool2:

*Where the circlip has no holes for the plier tips, I use a small pair of long nose pliers, the ends ground down and flat/square - find it a lot easier than circlip pliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts