Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought an 03 3.2gsi and I am having problems with the cruise control. When I either adjust the speed or turn the cruise off using the controls on the indicator stalk I am then unable to reengage the cruise control. If I stop and turn the engine off and then back on again the cruise control can then be turned on but the same thing happens each time when I use the controls on the stalk again.

I am also having a problem with a warning light for l/h parking light coming on intermittantly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
could be a CIM fault,the cruise control can play up if the contacys get dirty,but both of your faults all do though the same stalk contacts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Unless the car's been used for a lot of motorway work, cruise control tends not to be engaged much so, as stated, the stalk contacts get corroded.

A good squirt with switch cleaner might do the trick, otherwise it's replacement.

But ask yourself, do you really need cruise control?

Most people don't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for taking the time to post a reply, I am going to look at the contacts and replace stalk if required,

Next question is how easy is the stalk to replace and how, do I require to remove the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There used to be a "how-to" for this, complete with pictures. In simple terms, you remove the stalk by sliding a stiff wire (unfolder paper clip) along the groove on the underneath of the stalk - towards the steering column. This will disengage the clip and you can simply pull the stalk out. After that, dismantle the stalk - but you may need some guidance on that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure but! i have a vectra c 53 i have just replaced my one. all i did was sat in the passenger seat and pulled the stalk out.I think yours should be the same. [COOL1]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I have just returned from a trip to Germany with the car and the cruise control worked as long as I did not touch the either of the controlc on the stalk for reducing speed or switching the cruise off. I was able to control it with the use of the pedals and then using the on switch to reset the speed. I now have a replacement stock and will attempt to replace the original one . I wii let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i had an identical problem, and i replaced the stalk and it worked perfectly from then on. as said above, slide a paperclip along the groove underneath the stalk, to disengage it from the steering column, dont just yank it out

·
Registered
263 Posts
pull the rubber gaitor towards the end of the stalk, this exposes the rest of the stalk that goes into the steering column, you will then see a small channel about the width of the paperclip, slide it along this and into the steering column, when you feel resistance, push against it and pull the stalk out

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, got it!
Took both stalks off and gave them a good clean due to all the dead skin on them.
Contacts looked like they had grease on them so I cleaned them off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Right... world's quickest how2.

I've just been out to the car and taken the stalk out. The things I do to help random strangers on the internet.....

Picture 1: Where to put the paperclip (or piece of MIG wire in my case).

Once you've got the wire in, a gentle wiggle and very gentle pull will release it. Don't just yank it out.

Picture 2: Getting insde. I've removed the back and the rubber gaiter.

Picture 3: Getting the circuit board out. No tools or violence required, just fingernails.

Picture 4: Circuit board and switch cap assembly removed from casing.

Picture 5: Close-up of circuit board and plastic button caps. Note I've got the rocker bit on the end half unclipped.

Picture 6: Almost completely disassembled. Carefully remove the silver pin (and the concealed spring underneath) from the left-hand black plastic bit shown below. The black plastic bit below the yellow switch slides off to the left.

Picture 7: Disassembly completed. Clean the black plastic bit sticking out below the yellow switch below, clean the inside of the other piece of plastic which slides over and around it. Clean the silver pin and the bore in which it lives.

Reassemble. Don't lose either of the two springs mentioned above.

Saunter casually out to the car, gently push the stalk back in where it lives, take it for a test drive and then please, please come back and tell us whether it fixed it or not.

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts