Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sure that I read somewhere a while back that the crankshaft position sensor was more prone to causing problems on a hot engine.

Is that right?

L

·
0 Posts
All depends whether it is a V6 or a 4 cylinder engine as the sensors are in different locations.

The V6 sensor, being close to the exhaust will be prone to fail when hot in the early stages. Eventually though, it will just die.

However other things can cause similar symptoms, so code reading is the best option.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi, my crank sensor went like that......was ok when cold for about 5 miles and then engine cutout....wherever you are at the time didnt seem to matter to the old barge...!!! dual carriageway at 65mph wasnt much fun though in the fast lane........AA Guy phoned his techie mate to ask about it and he said yep thats a classic......CRANK SENSOR OR CAM SENSOR ......so i tried Crank sensor and replaced the little gem.......lo and behold it cured it......no more cutouts....!!!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its on V6 2.5

It was cutting out when hot, just thought I could remember something said about issues when hot

Not checked for any fault codes.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Its not the exhaust that causes the trouble, its the fact the wiring is clipped to the oil cooler pipes which are likely to be a minimum of 100 degC.

The wire goes mega stifff over time and the internal conductors fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts