Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i start with the greasy bits, heres the background:

1992 cav h/back 2.0 8v (c20ne) auto pas a/c

water pump knackered, got new one. i am also replacing the outer and inner timing belts while im at it. managed to get the outer timing belt off by taking the offside engine mount off. the timing cover differs from the description given in the haynes screw-it-up-yourself manual and the cover is one continuous piece that goes between the crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft sprocket. the pulley has a 15mm bolt in the middle and 4 torx bolts around it. now, i have removed the torx bolts with some gentle persuasion however, the pulley will not budge. i have used a drift and hammer to seperate the two, but it is not moving. my understanding is that the pulley is connected to the sprocket by the torx bolts and the 15mm centre bolt connects the sprocket to the crank. am i correct in my thinking? or do i have to remove that 15mm?

any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Undo the small torque heads around it and the pully will come off.

No need to remove the center bolt to replace the belt,just remember to put it back on the same way as it came off as the timing marks are on the pully.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought. torx head bolts removed, still wont budge. im re-reading the haynes manual however because it references so many types of engines im having to pick through the relevant bits and then put them into a coherant plan. thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
These do seize and can be a ***** to seperate but they should come apart,if it was one unit then there would be no reason for the torque heads so by them being there means the pully is in two bits.

Have you tried soaking it in plus gas or wd40 ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would you suggest? a puller? keep on using a hammer and drift? a wedge behind the bottom of the pulley and the edge of the sump?

ps, like your pic, that reminds me, i have that on cd somewhere ...

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
I would say it needs a good soaking fella,it will seperate in time but needs a little help.keep tapping it around the outside edge with a hammer but not too hard that you break it and not in the same place all the time either,as soon as you break the seal it should pop off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks mate. ill go and soak in something (not bodily fluids!!). cheers for that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx mat, like you said, once you have given it enough of a soaking, it just popped off. cheers

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
No problem fella.

Remember the position of the timing mark on the outside of the pully,the bolt holes only line up a certain way so there shouldn't be too many problems putting it back on.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
on the inner pulley - the one that you removed the Torx bolts from, there is a semi-circular reess ut into it. When that is in the 6 o clock position, it aligns with a mark on the timing cover back plate and the crank is in the correct position to set the cam pully against the mark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts