Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Been searching for the famous crankcase breather cleaning Howto all week but the board gives me a post not found error.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Need to get this sorted before I do the rocker cover gaskets obviously.
TIA John

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hi All
Been searching for the famous crankcase breather cleaning Howto all week but the board gives me a post not found error.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Need to get this sorted before I do the rocker cover gaskets obviously.
TIA John
Hello,

Back when I did my passenger side gasket, I cleaned the breathers. Here's the post detailing when I did it.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=82195

Anyway, the breather How To was written after this, so I'll run you through how 'I' did the job.

1 - Remove the scuttle.
2 - Remove the plenum chamber, as this will need a clean as well.
3 - Using carb cleaner, or paint thinners (work just as well) clean the plenum, around the throttle body especially.
4 - I then removed the black ECOTEC bit (1 torx bolt) and prised this off the plenum, blast it through with either some carb cleaner, or a combination of thinners and tap water/the high pressure attachment on a hose pipe.
5 - Blast the ECOTEC bit through with WD40, just to dry it out.
6 - Remove the big black, dual outlet breather pipe, which is located on top of the breather box.
7 - Attach this to your hose point on your tap, and blast through with water, you'll be surpised at the amount of crud that comes out.
8 - Spray some carb cleaner into the breather box, NOT TOO MUCH though.
9 - Use a screw driver, place into the breater box and scrape as much of the gunk from the neck of the pipe as you can.
10 - Don't go too deep, about 1 1/2 inches is enough.
11 - Remove the small breater pipe and use a pin to clear the little hole that is in the centre of this pipe neck.
12 - Blast the small pipe through with carb cleaner, or thinners and water, spray in some WD40 to dry it out again.
13 - Re-assemble, replace the O rings on the inlet bridge.

It's an idea to replace the cam cover gaskets at this time, as they may have taken a punishing from the heat, but mostly from the increase in crankcase pressure.

I have plonked this in the FAQ section as well, as it is something that's frequently asked :).

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks looks like I'm busy over the w/end.
Good job my lad wants to be a mechanic cos I've a feeling his apprenticeship starts in the morning.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
LOL!!

It's not a bad job once you get going!!. I hope to get my daughter involved in my hobby, she's only a month old atm..!

James

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was looking for the Breathers How To by Ronnie McBurger too just as I was about to tackle the job. Any chance of having it restored, Admins?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts