Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Been having a problem with my astra 1.6 sxi, it used to start first turn of the key without any hesitation but...
last year every now and then I would go to start it and it would crank but not start and then would cut out quick turn of key back and then second try it would start as if nothing was wrong. Didnt think too much of it but over the last year its been getting worse and worse.
Up to the point now its hit and miss whether it starts first time or not cant find any correlation to anything sometimes does it when hot sometimes when cold. I can even turn it over 4 times in a row no problem and then sometimes it can take 2/3 attempts to start, had a few mechanic friends/family look at it and had some think it could be crank senor some saying immobilzer problem coil pack problem just asked in a garage yesterday and they said without any fault code it would be hard to diagnose. At a loss at the moment dont want to go buy parts and replace them one after another hoping one will fix it lol.
So as it stands now
Had coil pack swapped with a friends - no real difference. Didnt start first 3 turns but after started 4 times no problem :/
Same hot/cold sunny/raining
No codes or lights - scanned with 4 different scanners
Key/fob battery changed
All leads and connections checked
Full service (done by myself)
Running bosch super 4 plugs? - did get one missfire on cylinder 2 after a hard run cleared it never came back.
Geting petrol as can smell it when it fails to start.
Theres a strange kind of sucking when reving from the engine bay not your normal air box noise no idea where its coming from.
Strange gurgle after reving aswel only noticeable while bonnet is open
Never cut out while running other than mention above not one problem drives as it should, seems to be slight blow from exhaust from the front only noticeable with Windows down and in second going up a hill could be split flexi been under had a look cant find any issues though and passed m.o.t aswel might just be me hearing things.
1.6 petrol sxi 3dr 112k
If anyone has any ideas they please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
14,039 Posts

try the pedal test to get the codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done pal, no luck no codes from there or any readers ive used, only thing I havent tried is opcom never used it dont no any1 that has next step if I cant find anything on here is auto electrician :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If even some1 could tell what the fault could be to set my mind at ease, caravans back open, 100 mile trek really dont want to break down in middle of nowhere with no fone signal 😂 if its the crank sensor il be doomed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little update
Had a few more problems recently, guessing there related lol so now on the odd occasion when the car starts no problem I pull away start driving and theres no power can put the revs up to 3k in second n third and it barely moves can still get up to 70 on the motorway, its asif the clutch was gone lol its happend 3 times over the last week and I have had to pull over turn engine off and then bk on and its back to driving normal going to get it booked in at an auto electricians soon befor I sell it for parts 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would defo not rule anything out on this car atm haha, there is a strange sucking noise when you rev it not coming from the air intake but had few people look it over none of us can find where its coming from, but it was like that when I bought it almost 3 year ago hasnt changed. if it was a vacuum leak would turning it off and then starting it again change things? Did have a k&n panel filter in when I bought it which was oily as hell (replaced now) could probably do with maf sensor cleaning. I wouldnt rule it out that it hasn't got a leak somewhere but not sure whether thats the main culprit on the not starting and loosing of power since the faults are intermittent, but I see where your coming from just wish there was a fault code or something to go off 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update - had the car down to an auto electrician had the car 3 n half hours spent about 10 mins actually lookin at the car and said could be ecu could be timing "chain" cost 40 quid anrl 😂 so that got me nowhere, so took it to my uncle who told me to take it to jon so took it to jon he told me to take it to mick so took it to mick (ex Vauxhall tech) he pointed out the VVT outlet solenoid was rattling whilst I was starting the car, long story short after turning it on and off all day finally it through up an error code for camshaft sensor on the outlet so replaced that cleared the code still the same problem 10 mins later another code this time for the inlet camshaft sensor and a check engine light, just replaced that today and yep still the same although check engine and codes are gone, removed solenoid from the outlet and it was very clean unlike the camshaft sensors which were caked in burnt on oil, the whole rocker is covered in burnt oil deposits even tho it had oil change and flush about 4 month back, thought this could be causing the issue and blocked the solenoids but there clean not even a tiny deposit on the filter, next step is to replace both solenoids and maybe crankshaft sensor if that doesnt solve it, might have to go for new cam sprockets and a belt change and if its still the same and the cars still in one piece (I havent drove it off a bridge) il look at the ECM.. any1 got any more ideas? Also cleaned maf and throttle body no change there either, wish me luck 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts