Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If car was driven cos while overheating and the head gaskets supposedly went and warped would you be able to visibly see?

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
you can check the head with a steel ruler across it if thats what you mean? go corner to corner both ways then full length at 2 points and across at 5 points.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine had a head gasket gone after overheating, I only knew because of water in 2 pots. After stripping I could not see where it had blown on the gasket or the heads & nor could my engine centre. I had both heads skimmed as a matter of course and with the first fly cut they could see where the head had warped.
It's best to have the heads skimmed while they are off to make sure.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi i totally agree head skim is roughly £30 and worth every penny
regards
Steve

·
***VxON Photographer of the year 2007***
3,052 Posts
yep get it skimmed

i had a HG go on my old grananda and the guy that fuxed it never got them checked and refitted the engine back together and 1/2 later he was stripping it again for free :lmao:

also get a presure test dont to check for cracks

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, was hypothetical cos I saw someone stating it on an ebay auction...thanks for your help :)

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah danuk, most likely but I think even on the 3.0 if you ran it long enough with the engine going into the red once the oil cooler had failed the head gaskets would eventually fail??? Probably about the only way they will lol

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Yeah danuk, most likely but I think even on the 3.0 if you ran it long enough with the engine going into the red once the oil cooler had failed the head gaskets would eventually fail??? Probably about the only way they will lol
True :up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts